CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Please some quick help with opening soft top manually please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLK350
Please some quick help with opening soft top manually please!

Hope there is someone out there listening. I am trying to replace one the hydraulics on my soft top. I have all the instructions from both Rudeney and the manual printed out and everything makes sense but for the life of my I cannot get past the first step of opening the soft top storage compartment. I have the lever released but I cannot figure our where the strap goes in the hinge for it to release anything. I have tried multiple ways of threading it through but it will not budge. What the heck am I doing wrong? I wish I could see what is going on behind the hinge in the manual but they don't take the plastic cover off the hinge. Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLK350
Well I think I figured it out. I thought it was supposed to release something but I guess not. Mine just doesn't want to move. I finally got it to move some by using a wood pry to get under the trailing edge of the soft top storage area. It would only go up a half inch or so. I thought maybe one of the pressure relief buttons had re-engaged or something but not the case. I don't really know how to proceed from here. If anyone has some thoughts I am all ears.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:39 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Here's a video that may help:

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/ManualClose.wmv

It is for the W207 E-Class, but other than the body style, everything else is the same. Also, this is for manual close, and what you need is to open. So, it's just all of this in reverse. Turn the lock knobs on either side of the trunk, then open the valve on the pump. With the trunk lid open, place the handles around the hinges as shown. Close the trunk, then you and a friend need to yank up and back on the handles to pop the lid hinge up and back. Now you should be able to lift the rear glass. With the glass up and out of the way, you lift the lid open. This might be very hard, so you and a friend need to just pull up on the leading edge of the lid with firm and steady pressure.

If the lid just won't go up, you may need to go back into the trunk and remove the hydraulic struts from the underside of the lid.