CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

instrument cluster won't turn off

Old 05-09-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 clk350
instrument cluster won't turn off

I have a 2006 CLK350 W209, and for quite some time now (at least 6 months), the instrument cluster will not turn off when I turn off the car, remove the key (keyless start) but take the key away from the car, close the door, lock the car, etc. It will just stay on and drain the battery (if its longer than 12 hours or so, the battery will go down enough that I can't start it without a jump). Only way I can get it off is to remove the fuse. I'm no mechanic, and not very handy with cars. I took it to a certified Mercedes repair place (not a dealer), and they couldn't really figure it out, wanted me to replace the cluster (at $1100 or something ridiculous), so, Ive taken to just removing the fuse. Its a real hassle though, so was hoping someone on here might have some idea of what is wrong and suggestions for fixing it. My first ever post here, hoping you guys can help!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:43 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
It is likely a bad cluster. It is always powered, but will wake-up in response to certain CAN bus signals. Yes, a replacement is very expensive. And you can't just install a used cluster because you'll lose the odometer. However, that might be a good way to test - get a cheap used cluster and install it and see if it goes off. If so, it's your cluster. If not, then something else is causing faulty CAN bus signals to be sent to the cluster to wake it.