CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Mercedes W209- No CD Changer, No Tel Error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2002 C200 Kompressor Elegance MY03
Mercedes W209- No CD Changer, No Tel Error

Hi Everyone,

Wondering if anyone had a similar issue and how they resolved it. My Comand 2.0 unit is saying that there is No Cd Changer and No Tel Error (No phone) as well. From doing some quick googling it seems that if either there is an issue with the phone or the cd changer or for that matter anything on the Fibre optic line this can cause the issue as it's a loop that needs everything to work.

The CD changer has power and can eject the cartridge with no problems. The telephone however receives no power. Looking at the phone cradle the cord is coming apart but it just the rubber around the cables, the cables themselves actually look quite fine. So I'm thinking it is most likely an issue with the cd changer itself, that's taken out the phone from the loop.

Any help would be appreciated about how I can go and diagnose this.

Cheers,
Aleks
Old 09-18-2017, 10:45 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The system uses a fiber optic loop for all of these audio devices to communicate. It sounds like you have a break in that loop.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rudeney
The system uses a fiber optic loop for all of these audio devices to communicate. It sounds like you have a break in that loop.
Mate, are you the only person on this forum who knows anything about these cars heheh I should just PM you directly lol.

I'll try repairing the cd changer first and see how that goes. I saw a random post somewhere about a guy who said to try and clean the ribbon cable at the back of the cd changer, this sounds like a good idea to me as this is a big problem on a lot of euro cars and seems like an easy place to start. Since My changer has power and has no problems ejecting the casets, it looks like its just a communication problem somewhere. I will also take out the Comand unit to inspect all connections. If I get it sorted I will post a DIY

Any suggestions anyone has I'm all ears open.

RODNEY - Do you have any diagrams or suggestions about where the whole loop is. The wiring through the cars looks in pretty good condition from everything I've seen, I think it would be really unlikely that there is a bad harness somewhere or a bad wire, my money will be on either an issue with the cd changer or the telephone making a brake in the loop.

Last edited by aleks001; 09-18-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:19 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Get a $10 loop off eBay. Use it to bypass the CD changer, telephone or amplifier if you have it to work out which is causing the problem. The line can break elsewhere but it is unlikely. I have the CD changer bypassed and removed in my car.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by tw2
Get a $10 loop off eBay. Use it to bypass the CD changer, telephone or amplifier if you have it to work out which is causing the problem. The line can break elsewhere but it is unlikely. I have the CD changer bypassed and removed in my car.
I was thinking about this, might try this if my First repair fails. I also dont think I have the Bose system/amplifier. I'm assuming I would have seen a bose logo somewhere in the car. Also from what I've seen on other threads when the loop brakes, those with the Bose system also loose audio, which I have not.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I agree with TW2 - try a fiber optic bypass of the changer to see if that's the issue. Also, any recent work on the car? Fiber optic cables don't "go bad", but maybe some other work broke or dislodged a cable. You can "chase" the fiber by unplugging it and checking for a light on the end (only one of the pair will have a light).
Old 09-20-2017, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rudeney
I agree with TW2 - try a fiber optic bypass of the changer to see if that's the issue. Also, any recent work on the car? Fiber optic cables don't "go bad", but maybe some other work broke or dislodged a cable. You can "chase" the fiber by unplugging it and checking for a light on the end (only one of the pair will have a light).
I've only purchased the car so I have no idea what did/didn't happen before. Just generally looking around it seems that cd changers are quite the common issue for these cars. I will try the ribbon cleaning first as it makes a lot of sense and then take it from there. It looks quite simple from what I can tell and the more i think about it the more sense it makes that this is the problem.

I think the cables are all fine but the ribbon cable at the back of the (I'll call it power box") has a tendency to corrode. This is also the easiest place to start as it should only take me a couple of minutes to remove the changer and the cover at the back of the cd changer. Hopefully i'll have a crack at it this Saturday.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by aleks001
I've only purchased the car so I have no idea what did/didn't happen before. Just generally looking around it seems that cd changers are quite the common issue for these cars. I will try the ribbon cleaning first as it makes a lot of sense and then take it from there. It looks quite simple from what I can tell and the more i think about it the more sense it makes that this is the problem.

I think the cables are all fine but the ribbon cable at the back of the (I'll call it power box") has a tendency to corrode. This is also the easiest place to start as it should only take me a couple of minutes to remove the changer and the cover at the back of the cd changer. Hopefully i'll have a crack at it this Saturday.
Turns out some idiot unplugged it from the main unit.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E280 avangart 2006
No power in CD changer and phone cradle

Originally Posted by aleks001
Hi Everyone,

Wondering if anyone had a similar issue and how they resolved it. My Comand 2.0 unit is saying that there is No Cd Changer and No Tel Error (No phone) as well. From doing some quick googling it seems that if either there is an issue with the phone or the cd changer or for that matter anything on the Fibre optic line this can cause the issue as it's a loop that needs everything to work.

The CD changer has power and can eject the cartridge with no problems. The telephone however receives no power. Looking at the phone cradle the cord is coming apart but it just the rubber around the cables, the cables themselves actually look quite fine. So I'm thinking it is most likely an issue with the cd changer itself, that's taken out the phone from the loop.

Any help would be appreciated about how I can go and diagnose this.

Cheers,
Aleks
hello mate
did you solve the problem?
I have the same problem No power in CD changer and phone cradle (Nokia 6300). The problem was occurred recently after I was replaced my CD player.