CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

what kind of muffler is an amg muffler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:53 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
what kind of muffler is an amg muffler?

I am looking to change out my exhaust and I want one that sounds like an amg . Are they considered chambered muffler or straight though ?
Old 01-11-2018, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
I don't know for sure. There was a picture on the internet of an AMG muffler with a section of the case cut out. Probably still there. Those pictures showed more of a "baffled" arrangement rather than chambered. Both methods would reflect sound (restriction) with the muffler casing. The baffled arrangement, I think, would cause less restriction than bouncing the exhaust off a tuned wall arrangement as in a chambered muffler. The AMG cut open one I saw seemed to route more perforated pipe in the case. So it wasn't straight through (as with a Magnaflow and other aftermarket units) but had curved pipes inside the case. More pipe than would be needed to go from one end of the case to the other. I would guess that even the shape of the case is engineered to support that AMG sound.

Someone on the forum talked about installing an AMG muffler some time ago. A search may turn up a thread on that.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:07 PM

2004 CLK 500
Originally Posted by Fatz
I don't know for sure. There was a picture on the internet of an AMG muffler with a section of the case cut out. Probably still there. Those pictures showed more of a "baffled" arrangement rather than chambered. Both methods would reflect sound (restriction) with the muffler casing. The baffled arrangement, I think, would cause less restriction than bouncing the exhaust off a tuned wall arrangement as in a chambered muffler. The AMG cut open one I saw seemed to route more perforated pipe in the case. So it wasn't straight through (as with a Magnaflow and other aftermarket units) but had curved pipes inside the case. More pipe than would be needed to go from one end of the case to the other. I would guess that even the shape of the case is engineered to support that AMG sound.

Someone on the forum talked about installing an AMG muffler some time ago. A search may turn up a thread on that.
Thank you . Yes i saw that but if you google amg muffler cutaway it comes up but i also was perplexed about what it is . The reason I ask is that already have a Magnaflow muffler . I deleted the 2nd cat , resonator and OE Muffler and just put in the maganflow straight though with built in X- PIPE. I also have a cutout before the muffler in case i want it loud . the muffler is ok but it focuses on the low tone sound and i like the AMG muffler because of the raspy tone and the fact that it pops and cracks when its revved high . Also the drone from the magnaflow is horrible . If i open the cutout i get the raspy tone with the cracks and pop from the exhaust ( And crazy drone ) But if i go through the muffler all i get is a deep tone . Anyway to configure it with another set up to quite down the drone and low tone ?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The AMG muffler/s alone may not address the drone. You should check how they were configured in their originally designed use. If there were resonators used with it/them in the design configuration, there is a very good chance that they alone, will not address the drone. That would have been the primary job of the resonators with the muffler/s focused on other areas of the sound matrix.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM

2004 CLK 500
The AMG muffler/s alone may not address the drone. You should check how they were configured in their originally designed use. If there were resonators used with it/them in the design configuration, there is a very good chance that they alone, will not address the drone. That would have been the primary job of the resonators with the muffler/s focused on other areas of the sound matrix.
No i know the muffler doesn't address the drone . I might have to add some aftermarket high flow resonators for that but i want the sound like amg muffler just trying to figure out what muffler is similar to it .
Old 01-13-2018, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by irokdastar
No i know the muffler doesn't address the drone . I might have to add some aftermarket high flow resonators for that but i want the sound like amg muffler just trying to figure out what muffler is similar to it .
Flowmaster is basically a chambered muffler. Magnaflow and Vibrant are basically a straight through. I'm not sure at all about Borla. The way the AMG is baffled and the curves in the pipes/baffles in conjunction with the case volume and shape may be proprietary. Some of the specialty/high end exhaust companies may do something similar. Meistercraft (sp) is one possibility that comes to mind. Let us know what you find.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM

2004 CLK 500
Flowmaster is basically a chambered muffler. Magnaflow and Vibrant are basically a straight through. I'm not sure at all about Borla. The way the AMG is baffled and the curves in the pipes/baffles in conjunction with the case volume and shape may be proprietary. Some of the specialty/high end exhaust companies may do something similar. Meistercraft (sp) is one possibility that comes to mind. Let us know what you find.
I found this comparison Not sure how accurate it is to a mercedes v8 vs the ford . what do you think?

http://www.autoanything.com/articles...-the-best.aspx
Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I found this comparison Not sure how accurate it is to a mercedes v8 vs the ford . what do you think?

http://www.autoanything.com/articles...-the-best.aspx
When I went through the decision process I preferred the "grasp" of the Magnaflow to the "mellow tone consistency" of the flowmaster. I still lean in that direction. I noted that in the flowmaster example there was more exhaust moisture from one pipe. Both examples may look the same if tested at the same temp and locale. The flowmaster example car may have a "pig tail" setup and the Magnaflow example car may have a "true dual" setup. In any case, the relative difference between the two should be adequately represented. Engine parameters in addition to the number of cylinders will affect to sound and will hence probably sound different on a MB. But again, the relative difference depicted should hold.

I am currently running without a muffler as I work to have the clamp on resonator I created to attenuate the exhaust/cabin db at least as much as the Magnaflow muffler. Got lots of compliments from enthusiasts with the Magnaflow; not so much from "soccer Moms"...
Old 01-15-2018, 01:03 PM

2004 CLK 500
When I went through the decision process I preferred the "grasp" of the Magnaflow to the "mellow tone consistency" of the flowmaster. I still lean in that direction. I noted that in the flowmaster example there was more exhaust moisture from one pipe. Both examples may look the same if tested at the same temp and locale. The flowmaster example car may have a "pig tail" setup and the Magnaflow example car may have a "true dual" setup. In any case, the relative difference between the two should be adequately represented. Engine parameters in addition to the number of cylinders will affect to sound and will hence probably sound different on a MB. But again, the relative difference depicted should hold.

I am currently running without a muffler as I work to have the clamp on resonator I created to attenuate the exhaust/cabin db at least as much as the Magnaflow muffler. Got lots of compliments from enthusiasts with the Magnaflow; not so much from "soccer Moms"...
The clamp on resonator . Are you selling them ? or are you still trying them out ? If they remove the drone and i can remove the muffler altogether i rather that set up .
Old 01-16-2018, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The clamp on resonator . Are you selling them ? or are you still trying them out ? If they remove the drone and i can remove the muffler altogether i rather that set up .
The unit (DVR - Dynamic Vibration Resonator) works very well in eliminating cruise drone; WOT is clamped at about 90db; idle is 54-55db..... To effectively take the place of the muffler I removed, I need to reduce the load db (tested at 2K RPM going up a steep incline) another 4-5 db. When I resolve this "load" issue I will post videos. If you haven't initiated your mods by then and you're still interested, I will be looking for a few more "early adopters".
Old 01-17-2018, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 127 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQWj...ature=youtu.be

Thank-You
D.B.

`
Old 01-19-2018, 01:55 PM

2004 CLK 500
The unit (DVR - Dynamic Vibration Resonator) works very well in eliminating cruise drone; WOT is clamped at about 90db; idle is 54-55db..... To effectively take the place of the muffler I removed, I need to reduce the load db (tested at 2K RPM going up a steep incline) another 4-5 db. When I resolve this "load" issue I will post videos. If you haven't initiated your mods by then and you're still interested, I will be looking for a few more "early adopters".
Yea i will be intrested in trying it out . I am not doing this for a few month . Please let me know . Thank you
Old 01-31-2018, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 127 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

First I replaced the OEM muffler with a Flowmaster dBx

Very disappointed in the sound so I went with a Flowmaster Super 10

Not that much louder but with an annoying drone so...

Secondary's deleted - resonator removed and replaced with a

Moroso Spiral Flow racing muffler

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...acing-mufflers

I deleted the Flowmaster Super 10 muffler and replaced with straight pipe

There is no drone whatsoever at any RPM and it sounds like the CLK500

in the link I posted above - the sound I wanted

I know that this is not the sound you are looking for but the Moroso might be

a solution to the potential drone problem

A big Thanks to kb24forlife24 for trying to answer my "Stoned" questions

on this subject late one night - I wi$h I had conversed with him on day one

Thank-You
D.B.

`

Last edited by COOPERDB; 01-31-2018 at 04:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bmay58 (05-20-2020)