CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W209 Speakers upgrade to harman-kardon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 CLK220 (2007)
W209 Speakers upgrade to harman-kardon?

Hi everyone, hope you're enjoying this summer!Recently I've bought a CLK 220CDI (2007 Facelift) WITHOUT harman-kardon sound system and it's a bit disappointing. Previously I owned W211 with a great factory sound system including subwoofer at he back, maybe that's why I want a bit better experience.
I've done a project replacing factory fitted sound system with a after market one in my fathers car a few years back and I don't want to go though this process once again. I like to do things myself and it was a pain in the a** taking the car interior apart.
So I had an idea to find a middle ground and do a small project with my new (or rather 11 years old) CLK by replacing the current speakers with harman-kardon (or Bose from the older W209 models) by buying speakers in a second hand market from another CLK. Does anyone have any experience or opinion on:
1) Simply replacing 4 speakers located in the doors? Is the integrated amplifier that is in the command unit powerful enough for harman-kardon speakers? Is there any noticeable sound quality/power difference?
2) Has anyone done the full upgrade from a standard to harman-kardon system upgrade (including the additional amp, subwoofer at the back and anything else that can be replaced? Thanks for your thoughts!
Best,
Mode
Old 07-04-2018, 10:28 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I would not go with Bose speakers. They are 2ohm units and not especially good. Most of their sound quality comes from the equalization circuitry in the Bose amp.

I think installing a nice aftermarket system would be much easier and give better quality and functionality than retrofitting the HK system. Working with the trim is not really a big deal. I could have a whole new radio and amp installed in an afternoon.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:19 PM

CLK W209 2.7CDI
Originally Posted by Sharkiokas
Hi everyone, hope you're enjoying this summer!Recently I've bought a CLK 220CDI (2007 Facelift) WITHOUT harman-kardon sound system and it's a bit disappointing. Previously I owned W211 with a great factory sound system including subwoofer at he back, maybe that's why I want a bit better experience.
I've done a project replacing factory fitted sound system with a after market one in my fathers car a few years back and I don't want to go though this process once again. I like to do things myself and it was a pain in the a** taking the car interior apart.
So I had an idea to find a middle ground and do a small project with my new (or rather 11 years old) CLK by replacing the current speakers with harman-kardon (or Bose from the older W209 models) by buying speakers in a second hand market from another CLK. Does anyone have any experience or opinion on:
1) Simply replacing 4 speakers located in the doors? Is the integrated amplifier that is in the command unit powerful enough for harman-kardon speakers? Is there any noticeable sound quality/power difference?
2) Has anyone done the full upgrade from a standard to harman-kardon system upgrade (including the additional amp, subwoofer at the back and anything else that can be replaced? Thanks for your thoughts!
Best,
Mode
I’ve done that.

Bought HK speakers from wreked cabrio 209 (only cabrios have hk as i know) and installed on my coupe . However i couldn’t find wiring for subwoofer , so it’s still lying in garage.
To be honest with you, without subwoofer it doesn’t really have much difference, yes it’s better, but nothing serious
Old 07-18-2018, 04:07 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
You only get wiring for the subwoofer with the Harmon-Kardon (or Bose in older cars) amp.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:21 AM

CLK W209 2.7CDI
Originally Posted by Rudeney
You only get wiring for the subwoofer with the Harmon-Kardon (or Bose in older cars) amp.
I know , that’s what i’ve wrote in previous reply