CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2009 CLK350 AMG Package Bumper Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 CLK350 COUPE AMG SPORT
2009 CLK350 AMG Package Bumper Issue

Hello All!

I had a minor accident in my CLK a few weeks ago and scraped the rear bumper cover pretty good. I hydroplaned and grazed a concrete barrier, so I need to replace my rear bumper. Ebay had a bumper, which the ensured would fit my car. I gave them the VIN and specified it was the AMG package, so there must be room for the 2 tailpipes on the rear drivers side. Well the part they sent me only has room for one pipe and my body shop is going to have to modify the bumper to fit correctly.

I am looking for one part, that I can't seem to locate: The black valance that goes along the bottom of the bumper and has the cut out for the exhaust. See picture. Does anyone know where I can source this part? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Thank you!

The black piece across the back of the bumper is what I need.

I tried to get the part number.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:35 PM

I found the part, but it ranges from $175.00 to $245.00 depending on the dealer. Are there any aftermarket options that I might be missing? The price isn't too bad, just looking for any options that might be out there.

Thank you,

Blackduc1
Old 07-24-2018, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Why didn't you just return the part and get the correct one or a refund? If you bought from ebay, then I may understand. There are many "crooks" on ebay who sell stuff they know will not fit but have a "buyer pays return shipping and 20% restock fee". Even when it is their screw up.

You can cut the hole larger. If you can make a template of the hole size and position from the old bumper you can enlarge and shape the hole with a Dremel tool. You need to evaluate if the edge created with the cut would be acceptable.

Getting the right part would be the best option.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:19 AM

Thanks Fatz; you are spot on! The 'vendor' will not exchange unless I pay restocking and return shipping... I'm done with Ebay for good. Ordered correct parts from dealer. Expensive, but I want my car repaired correctly. Lesson learned!
Old 07-25-2018, 10:48 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
If you gave the seller your VIN and he assured it would fit that specific car, then I think I'd go back to eBay/Paypal and dispute it. I know shipping a bumper is exensive so the seller does not want to absorb that, but it's just part of doing business.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:59 AM

Thanks Rudeney! I gave this vendor everything, VIN, make, model, pictures etc., but he is saying it's my fault and the part is correct...He's wrong.

My body man is good and what we decided to do is to purchase the correct, black valance that is attached to the bumper and has a wide enough cut out. Then he is going to cut the bumper and place this piece over the cut line, so it will look fine.

I did file a complaint with Ebay, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks again!

Blackduc1
Old 07-25-2018, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
I pay much attention to the Ebay seller ratings and their volumes. I also only buy from those I can identify as US based. I complained to Ebay as well, without any success. It got to the point that it was costing me too much just dealing with them and the seller. I used my business card to make the bad purchase. To Rodney's point, I only use PayPal, or AmEx for purchases from "established" sellers (none via Ebay). Good luck in getting your bumper repaired.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:52 PM

Thanks Fatz! I made one mistake on this purchase - I believed the description! It said "rear bumper 03-09 CLK 350,550 AMG". Then I ran my car through the compatibility program that Ebay offers. The Bumper I got looks like it would fit a CLK without the AMG package or a CLK500, with one exhaust tip. The seller spent 2 paragraphs telling me how it was my fault and never offered to try and find a solution. I needed some other parts to fix this repair, but I went OEM. I get sick and tired of these bums on Ebay just trying to screw you over. I'd rather pay more to get the right part so the repair is 'invisible' when done.
Ebay isn't going to do anything about this, they are taking his side because he has a store on the site, so I lose. He lost a good customer, and it's going to be a while before I buy anything from Ebay again.
The car will be fixed correctly, but it shouldn't have to be this hard to purchase a bumper and some hardware!!

Thanks for letting me vent!!!!

Best,

Rick
Old 07-25-2018, 10:32 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
No problem Rick - rant away!

And I am, like Fatz - I pay with Amex. They don't screw around with their customers. If you file a dispute with them, the immediately credit you and then make the seller prove they were right.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
You should be able to get them to cover it and waive the restocking fee by claiming item defective or not as described. eBay has made real strides in forcing sellers to honor what they sell. I think they have forced sellers since last year to opt in for the new return system. If the buyer doesn't accept the return request, then a dispute can be filed.