MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W209) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209-43/)
-   -   Preferred OBD II scanner for MB cars (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/732663-preferred-obd-ii-scanner-mb-cars.html)

OR-CLK350 01-11-2019 11:17 PM

Preferred OBD II scanner for MB cars

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...bb7b68d2c.jpeg
I just got a “check engine” light and would like to ask our community for a recommendation on a scanner to purchase.., what are you folks using and recommend? I’ve seen many, many models in Amazon, Pelicanparts and the likes but can’t figure out what works best for MB cars... Thanks!

Rudeney 01-11-2019 11:50 PM

The "best" is SDS (MBZ's Star Diagnosis System). You can get a Chinese "clone" version of it for around $500 including a used Dell laptop. For a less expensive and less complex option, look at the iCarsfot i980 or MBII, or the Autel MD802 Elite.

pzgmj4 01-22-2019 07:26 PM

Wiring Harness

Rodney,
I'm looking to replace my stereo head unit on my 2005 CLK 320. Any specific instruction or where I can get a adapter wiring harness. Your assistance is truly appreciated. below is my email

ccie2beizzi@gmail.com

IZZI

Rudeney 01-22-2019 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by pzgmj4 (Post 7661274)
Rodney,
I'm looking to replace my stereo head unit on my 2005 CLK 320. Any specific instruction or where I can get a adapter wiring harness. Your assistance is truly appreciated. below is my email

ccie2beizzi@gmail.com

IZZI

You should post this in its own thread since it has nothing to do with the topic of this one. To answer your question I'd say eBay, but since you have not completed your forum user profile showing your exact car and location, that may or may not be good advice.

rmetzner49 02-09-2019 10:13 PM

Hi Rodney:
I was considering the iCarsoft i980 but wondered whether it accesses all of the sub-modules?

My driver's seat in my '09 CLK350 Cabrio won't operate, nor does the Steering Column. The Seat Belt Extender DOES work and my understanding is that's operated from the same module. So the module isn't completely dead. In your experience, would I get useful fault codes from this? These modules are available on Ebay for about $120 but I hate to shoot from the hip.

Bob M.

Rudeney 02-09-2019 10:32 PM

Those all involve different controllers. The steering column module, seat control module, and soft top control module. I'd start by checking fuses 27 and 29 on the cabin panel.

As for the scanner, I have not used the i980, but many on the forums have and it gets good reviews. I think the MBII is slightly more capable and easier to use, but the i980 should do what you want. Another one I hear really good things about is the Autel MD802 Elite - it even works on other cars besides MBZ which might be a bonus.

rmetzner49 02-09-2019 10:46 PM

I don't believe that's true. According to my Service Manual's Schematic, the Steering Wheel Tilt and Driver's Seat Motors are powered from the Driver's Seat Module. They just don't go into a lot of troubleshooting info in the manual. I did however check ALL the fuses on the interior panel and they are OK. It's late tonight, but if you like, I may be able to "save as PDF", the schematic where this is detailed. I would assume you know how to read a schematic. I'll be happy to include it in a subsequent reply.

Bob M.

rmetzner49 02-09-2019 10:59 PM

We sort of drifted off the topic. It might be best to start a new post on the Driver's Seat Issue.

Rudeney 02-10-2019 05:06 PM

Bob, you are correct. The steering column adjustment motors are driven by the seat controller, which is powered by fuses 27 and 29. However, the lever on the steering column that activates the motors is connected to the steering column module and sends its signals to the seat controller via the CAN bus. The memory selection and seat adjustment buttons are connected to the driver's door controller and send their signals to the seat controller via the CAN bus. The seat controller would seem to the common culprit here. And yes, this probably needs its own thread. :)

rmetzner49 02-25-2019 12:22 PM

Latest in the weirdness. Bought a used Driver's Seat Module on Ebay, changed it out, and then the Seat Belt Extender didn't work. About 5 trips later, it started working again. This has to be some sort of communication fault.
I think maybe the "UP" switch on the seat might be flaky. I'm going to do a little probing because it makes sense if the seat isn't down, you don't want it to move.

Rudeney 02-26-2019 05:19 PM

When you say "up" do you mean the tilt function for rear seat access? If its not locked down, it will prevent the seat controls, seat extender, and maybe even the steering column adjustment form operating. But you should also get a warning message on the MFD.

rmetzner49 02-26-2019 05:32 PM

Exactly, the tilt function. That was my thought as well, which is why yesterday I checked BOTH switches with my ohmmeter. It appears there's redundancy because they both appear to do the same thing and each is wired to a separate input with a switch symbol by the connector..
I think I might spring for that iCar unit and see if I can peek in there. I thought I should have gotten a message as well. I'm pretty sure if I take it to my MB dealer it will cost me more than the iCar. Then I still won't be smarter or have it for next time. I'm the only one who drives the car, so I'm not in a panic to get it working, but I will conquer this eventually. Thanks for your help.

Bob M.

Rudeney 02-26-2019 05:50 PM

Try raising the seat up a bit and then slamming it down.

rmetzner49 02-27-2019 08:35 AM

I suppose that would check an intermittent but my ohmmeter confirms the switches are indeed changing state. Regardless, I just plopped down $150 for the iCarsoft-MBII on Flea-Bay. It doesn't specifically say it scans seat modules, but if not, the reviews of their Tech Support suggest they would work with me to find a solution. It's expected Monday the 4th, so I will report back on my findings once I've used it a bit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/301788865638

The word I have from the MB dealer is just to connect their scanner is $100, so I think I'll be money ahead. Not easy trying to support this car on retirement income.

Thanks.
Bob M.

waveterrorist 03-02-2019 03:25 PM

Does anyone know what the latest firmware version for the MB II?

rmetzner49 03-03-2019 04:05 PM

Problem Solved and iCar MB-II endorsed

waveterrorist, I didn't write it down when I had it running, so I can't answer your question. All I can say is this is an AWESOME piece of equipment. Rodney, we were both on the right track when we gathered it was the Driver Seat Module at fault. Ironically, the used replacement module from Ebay would have solved the problem, except yours truly didn't seat one of the CAN connectors properly.:smash:

The module consistently reported "Communication Fault with ECU". That led me to why I was getting this fault, thus re-seating each of the connectors at the front of the module. Once that was resolved, the module fired right up. Prior to that though, I was able to get into the Driver's Door Module which allowed me to see the State of each switch and see it change whilst operating the window controls. Similarly, connecting to the Steering Wheel Module let me see the in/out and up/down switches. Both of those modules had communication with the ECU. What was interesting was the ability of the Driver's and Passenger's door modules to tell me the "Exit Lamps" were burned out or "open", which they weren't, they were replaced with LEDs and they don't draw enough current to be recognized as working.

All in all a very good learning experience that goes back to the first rule of electrical troubleshooting: "Is it plugged in?":nix: Money well spent, since the next time something goes awry with this bird, I will be able to go right to it..:boink:

Thanks.
Bob Metzner

Rudeney 03-03-2019 04:56 PM

Gad you got the seat controller sorted out, Bob!

rmetzner49 03-03-2019 06:08 PM

Remember up in an earlier post I mentioned there are TWO switches? One senses whether the seat is RAISED for easy entry, the other senses whether the seat back is in driving position.

Just thought you'd be interested.
Bob M.

anomadtoo 04-03-2019 12:01 AM

Hello, is there a function in the icarsoft MB-II to recalibrate an airmatic suspension? Thank you

rmetzner49 04-03-2019 09:52 PM

I haven't personally dug deep enough to know the answer. It's a VERY comprehensive tool and I would imagine iCarsoft would be able to answer it.

I CAN tell you what I have personally seen:

1) The ability to see switches operate on the Door Module:
a) Seat forward, reverse, up, down, seat locking switches when you enter rear seat
b) Hall Effect sensors on the motors themselves to verify they are turning

2) A recalibrate feature on the Throttle Position Sensor to set zero pedal and full pedal

3) A menu to enter the Convertible Top Module which will be handy if ever a switch needs service.

So my educated GUESS would be it's there. The Scanner decodes your VIN number and gives you tools to interrogate the options installed on your car. You can also manually override that since a "dead" module will also seem as an uninstalled module. My car doesn't have Airmatic.

Regards,
Bob Metzner

anomadtoo 04-04-2019 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by rmetzner49 (Post 7723072)
I haven't personally dug deep enough to know the answer. It's a VERY comprehensive tool and I would imagine iCarsoft would be able to answer it.

a) Seat forward, reverse, up, down, seat locking switches when you enter rear seat

2) A recalibrate feature on the Throttle Position Sensor to set zero pedal and full pedal

3) A menu to enter the Convertible Top Module which will be handy if ever a switch needs service.

So my educated GUESS would be it's there. The Scanner decodes your VIN number and gives you tools to interrogate the options installed on your car. You can also manually override that since a "dead" module will also seem as an uninstalled module. My car doesn't have Airmatic.

Regards,
Bob Metzner

thank you for the information Bob! I did wind up contacting iCarsoft and they stated NONE of their devices will recalibrate the air suspension and offer changing the ride height values. Oh well, on to checking out Autel and Foxwell scanners (those under $400). Foxwell states theirs does and its $150-$200, but hard to find that information documented specifically.

I appreciate your response

Rudeney 04-04-2019 11:27 PM

Just get SDS - you can buy a turnkey system with (used) laptop for well under $500.

anomadtoo 04-04-2019 11:46 PM

Trying to not be locked to one vehicle

Ward83 04-05-2019 02:01 AM

I have the iCarsoft MB II, and it works great. It can be used as a standard OBD2 scanner for any OBD2 vehicle, and can do some extra stuff for Mercedes vehicles. I used it to troubleshoot an ESP issue on my E350, and was able to verify that the steering angle sensor was working fine, and instead that the problem was simply the brake pedal switch. It can't do nearly as much as SDS, but for the price and as a diagnostic tool, it's well worth it IMO.

nkx1 04-05-2019 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by rmetzner49 (Post 7723072)

Regards,
Bob Metzner

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm still unclear on what you're using, though. It is the iCarsoft MBII?