MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W209) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209-43/)
-   -   Radiator transmission line help (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/735868-radiator-transmission-line-help.html)

ninjaff21 02-13-2019 10:39 PM

Radiator transmission line help

I replaced my radiator got everything together started the bleeding procedure and the lower trans line shot off lost atleast a quart of fluid shut off instantly. My question is I'm not sure why the line flew off.

Would accidentaly putting the hoses in the wrong place cause this? My thought was the quick connect clip was loose and it came off.

Which line goes where to confirm? Is the lower one the metal one with the bend that clips in to the holder on the side of the radiator? If someone could post a picture of their lines it would greatly appreciated to make sure I have them in their rightful spots.

I have a 2006 Mercedes CLK55 AMG although I'm pretty sure the 320/500 will have the same radiator and cooler lines

Also is It okay to top off the fluid with valvoline maxlife fluid or should I just buy a quart of mb fluid to make it easy? Should I only use the Valvoline if I do a full drain and refill

ambit 02-13-2019 10:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine did that too :D

Attachment 440497

Attachment 440498

ninjaff21 02-13-2019 10:58 PM

Mine was the lower one that came off. Did you have any permeant damage? My car wasn't moving it was in my shop ran for maybe 30 seconds from start to walk to the front to look for leaks watched it shoot off then ran back to turn it off.

ambit 02-13-2019 11:02 PM

Nah, no damage. I pulled over immediately as it happened during a hard pull onto the highway.
The metal retaining clip had popped off.

I used Ordered 2 x 5Qt Febi Bilstein ATF from ebay when I drained / flushed mine.

ninjaff21 02-13-2019 11:28 PM

I'm just worried mixing the old fluid with Valvoline could hurt the trans. I doubt it since it's basically the same fluid but would like some opinion. Don't have the time to do a full flush but plan to here soon. Already behind schedule on doing my radiator because of this. Picking up my dipstick at 7:30 am to get it back on the road!

Rudeney 02-14-2019 10:24 AM

These are the compatible fluids:

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...236.14_en.html

While Valvoline Maxlife claims to be compatible, it does not have the 236.14 certification. In some cases, certain oils are just fine and might even exceed an MB spec, they just don;t pay to have it "certified". My concern is that Valvoline already pays to certify one product, so why not Maxlife? In a pinch when stranded with no other options, I'd use it, but I would do a fluid and filter change with torque converter drain and refill with an approved oil as soon as possible.

ninjaff21 02-14-2019 12:50 PM

When going to check the fluid level my dipstick broke off!!!!! What do I do to get the plastic piece out?!?! How do I remove the dipstick tube from the top of the trans!?!

Rudeney 02-15-2019 01:48 PM

Your transmission dip tube does not have a dispstick, just a tamper-resistant cap. Also, the oil dip tube lack a dipstick, it has just a cap. Make sure you are checking the proper dip tube:

http://benzbits.com/photos/DipTubes.jpg

ambit 02-15-2019 04:22 PM

I think he bought an aftermarket dip stick, and it broke off.

Rudeney 02-15-2019 10:16 PM

Oh, that makes more sense. I think the pan will need to be dropped to get it out.

Sphinx144 07-17-2020 12:30 PM

I am trying to reinstall the transmission cooler lines onto the radiator and I cannot get them to go in. how do you re-attach the properly in place with such limited clearance?
my car is a w211 e55.

ambit 07-17-2020 10:28 PM

Sorry, I don't know anything about the E55 :(

Sphinx144 07-18-2020 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ambit (Post 8109550)
Sorry, I don't know anything about the E55 :(

I had to remove the heat exchanger to get clearance and undo the bolt that holds the two transmission cooler lines together at the bottom of the radiator to maneuver them a little easier. It still was a pita to make them go in since they need to be perfectly straight. I had to use a little help from my friend the mallet on the bottom one. Needless to say those cooler lines were by far the hardest part of replacing the radiator on the e55, the way they are held in is not exactly optimal for installation when you have such a tight space to work with.

irokdastar 07-19-2020 08:44 PM

There are small oring that go on the trans line into the radiator . Just replace them and tighten the nut

Sphinx144 07-19-2020 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by irokdastar (Post 8110934)
There are small oring that go on the trans line into the radiator . Just replace them and tighten the nut

There is no nut that's the thing. They are held in place by the o-ring but you have to push the lines enough to where they lines up with the slots where the oring snaps in.