CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK550 Duralast Control Arm

Old 02-14-2019, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLK550
Question CLK550 Duralast Control Arm

Hi guys. I recently took my car for an oil change and the mechanic said front right rearward control arm had to be replaced by the end of the month. Their price was $350 which seemed a little too high, so I decided to replace it myself. I just now finished installing a Duralast control arm, and after taking it for a ride I think I might have messed up by going with Duralast. I feel like steering is wondering around a bit, and the ride is slightly less comfortable. It cost me $100, and it appears Lemfoerder control arms go for about the same.
What do you guys think of Duralast brand in general and do you think just one control arm can make a difference?
Old 02-15-2019, 01:52 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Durlast is Chinese, though with better quality control than non-name crap. I would use Lemfoerder. However, there may be other issues. First of all, it is imperative to replace control arms in pairs of left and right, and truly best to replace all four at the same time. Also, when you torque the bolts for the bushings on the frame, the weight of the car must be on the suspension. The easiest way to do this is to jack just the corner you are working on, then place a VERY STABLE block or another jack under the knuckle, and then lower the car so that the knuckle support the weight and the car is as level as possible, leaving enough room to access the bolts.
The following users liked this post:
Sabadara (02-15-2019)