CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Oil Leak from Timing Cover Area

Old 02-25-2019, 11:59 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Oil Leak from Timing Cover Area

Per a previous thread I started, I am considering buying a 2008 CLK 550. I had a pre-purchase inspection done, which identified an oil leak from the "left front timing cover area". Does anyone know if this is something of significant concern, or have any ideas what potential repair bills I may be facing if I decide to purchase?

The shop isn't being very responsive to my follow-up inquiries, and I wasn't able to discuss it with them on the day of because the owner was being a bit impatient.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:23 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
It's probably no big deal. There are two common oil leaks on that engine on the back of the heads. On the left (USA driver's side) there are two "cam plugs" that will leak. They are cheap - under $20 - and just snap in place. On the right (USA passenger's side) there are the same openings, but instead of snap in plugs, the smaller opening is covered with a screwed-in plate that rarely leaks. The larger is covered with the oil centrifuge (modern version of the PCV valve) and it is known to leak. A new OE part is less than $100, good aftermarket is around $40. Other than being a tight place to work in replacing the Torx head bolts holding it in place, it's an easy job.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:24 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Rudeney
It's probably no big deal. There are two common oil leaks on that engine on the back of the heads. On the left (USA driver's side) there are two "cam plugs" that will leak. They are cheap - under $20 - and just snap in place. On the right (USA passenger's side) there are the same openings, but instead of snap in plugs, the smaller opening is covered with a screwed-in plate that rarely leaks. The larger is covered with the oil centrifuge (modern version of the PCV valve) and it is known to leak. A new OE part is less than $100, good aftermarket is around $40. Other than being a tight place to work in replacing the Torx head bolts holding it in place, it's an easy job.
Thanks for your detailed reply- I'll definitely keep those items in mind if/when I decide to buy. I called another shop today and asked about it, and they also said it was probably nothing catastrophic. I'm OK spending a couple of grand to get it up to daily-driving reliability (it also needs new motor mounts, etc.) but anything beyond a couple of grand is where I'll say forget it and buy something else. The car looks pretty awesome, though, and they're so rare that I don't really want to pass it up.