CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

3rd Brake light not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clk 500 convertible
3rd Brake light not working

So I have read in other threads for other mercs that have a sheared brown electric cable in the left side rear of the trunk.
Is that the same for this car? I have already removed the LED cluster not tested it yet but I've never come across malfunctioning leds before so I'm thinking that they are ok.
I have taken the left side panel off and was pretty amazed how much wiring is back there, several brown wires! just wanted to see if anyone has any pointers before I start digging them out.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:42 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Often time, it's a broken wire inside the light fixture itself. If your handy with a soldering iron and ohmmeter, you may be able to fix it yourself. Remove the fixture, then take it apart (cut though where the two halves are glues together) and then start checking the wiring inside, repairing any breaks. Use silicon adhesive to put it back together. When putting it back in the trunk lid, it does not require much torque on the bracket bolts to hold the fixture in place - just tight enough to hold it is good enough.