MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W209) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209-43/)
-   -   Clean/wash/wax/detail (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/738746-clean-wash-wax-detail.html)

Stevie Palmer 03-15-2019 01:40 PM

Clean/wash/wax/detail

Any tips on products for cleaning and detailing?

C280 Sport 03-15-2019 02:16 PM

On my interior I use Lexol leather conditioner for the seats and the dash and panels. Exterior I have a professional do it with a buffer and a wax. I do not know what kind. Wheels I use amoral cleaner with a nice brush from a autoparts store. Also, unless I hand wash I 99% of the time use a touchfree car wash. For my soft top cars I use a kit off amazon and then use neverwet on it as a repel.

Stevie Palmer 03-15-2019 03:29 PM

Cool thanks. I also just noted the how to cleaning section.

Rudeney 03-15-2019 03:48 PM

Oh my gosh! You probably just opened Pandora's Box! There are probably more opinions on this subject than anything else. My advice is to find a set of products that you like, that work for you and use them. What I have learned is that a good shine starts at the beginning, not at the end of the process. In other words, what you do before waxing is more important than the wax you use.

I like Griot's Garage products. They have never let me down, and they are easy to use, and not terribly expensive. My regimen is to wash the car first. I like to use Bon Ami on the glass to clean it free of grease, dirt, etc. I use Griot's car was with a micro fiber mitt. I have very hard water, so I use a de-ionizer cartridge. After that, I dry it thoroughly (including inside doors and under the hood, etc.). Next comes clay, using Griot's Speed Shine as the lubricant. Then I follow that with power polishing (I have Griot's random orbit polisher). I use various grades of Griot's polishing/correcting creams just based on how long it's been since the last detailing. After that, it's wax, applied with the orbital polisher, but removed by hand with terry cloths. I used to like carnuba wax, but lately I;ve been using Griot's polymer wax and like it better. The final step is to "set" the wax with a fin mist of distilled water wiped down with a soft microfiber cloth.

Stevie Palmer 03-15-2019 03:54 PM

Yeah I've never really detailed a car before just relied on carwashes. Seems I have a lot to learn!.

NedNederlander 03-16-2019 12:10 PM

I second the Griot's and all of Rodney's points. If you want to really get into it then i suggest getting a kit from Griot's, they have a nice booklet to take you through the detailing process if you want to go bananas. Also, take the time to wash, clay (*important), polish (*important to get the deeps shine) and wax (it really only protects but i grew up thinking that's what produced shine). Do this one-time and then you can pretty much rely upon Griot's Speed Shine a few times a week (or once a week depending upon how much you drive) and that will keep her looking good and then you can decide if you do the full detail once or twice per year. Speed Shine is awesome, i buy it by the jugs and even give kits as gifts. If you go Griot's check out their shop online, my local Pep Boys carries a few of his products but also... around Xmas Pelican did a 30% of Griots and i loaded up. Good luck, there is a great feeling when you are working through the process and you can enjoy the final product... i usually celebrate with a few beers :)

anomadtoo 05-09-2019 09:19 PM

Does anyone have experience with a good leather seat crease filler? Besides cleaning and conditioning my seats soon, I may try something like the following to fill the bigger creases.

https://autoleatherdye.com/collectio...20381894017135

Barry O 05-10-2019 07:16 AM

Leather Care

I've used Leatherique products for my leather repair/maintenance. Used their crack filler on a Volvo and have completely restored Benz leather with their advice, all came out great.

micheal2008 09-13-2022 04:34 AM

If you want to remove stuck on dirt from car, then you have to gather your battle equipment because you are in it for an intense battle against dirt! What you will Need :Water Hose Or Pressure Washer,Car Wash Detergent Or Shampoo, Car Wax Or Car Polish,etc.

zill 09-13-2022 12:20 PM

Stevie,

this is funny. Not your question. It’s like asking a Roman Catholic Church filled with Italian women to explain their Italian gravy dinners. All different.

good advice given. Sometimes I have to laugh at the messages on the product labels. Oxygen infused, color changing dyes, pH balanced. Soon, I just know it, chemical guys is about to market an expensive car wax made exclusively for left fenders.

zill.