CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK350 top issues and now starter?

Old 04-16-2019, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C300 4Matic
CLK350 top issues and now starter?

My recently inherited 2009 CLK convertible has had issues with a wiring harness blocking the trunk partition from coming down. Even after moving the wiring harness out of the way, it still ends up back in the same place after opening and closing the top. I had read on the forums how to secure the wiring harness to the trunk wall and was attempting to do this when my minor nuisance turned into a major problem. I was inspecting this wire from above with the top partially open, but didn’t actually change anything. After that I could no longer open or close the top. Dash says top in motion but it wont move.

So the top is 90% closed but is stuck in that position- won’t close and won’t open. And to top it off now the engine won’t start! Electronics seem to work but the starter makes only a weak attempt before giving up. No joy with an attempted jump start either. Is this bizarre situation a coincidence or the result of something I did? I assume the engine would normally start even with the top in a midway position. Any suggestions before I have the car towed? Thanks!
Old 04-16-2019, 09:36 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
First of all, it sounds like your battery is dead. When trying to jump it, connect the jumper cables and then disconnect the negative lead from your battery to take it out of the circuit. A bad cell can make it act like a huge resistor and even a jump won't overcome that for enough power to crank (or operate the top).

If that doesn't do the trick, you can manually operate the soft top. Instructions are in the owner's manual, and here's a video showing the process. They used an A20 E-Class, but it's identical to the W209 CLK:

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/ManualClose.wmv

Also, if the partition does not stay in place, you should replace the Lift-O-Mat struts on it. They are available here (assuming you are int he USA):

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...59-MFG624.aspx

Last edited by Rudeney; 04-16-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:32 AM

2014 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Rudeney
First of all, it sounds like your battery is dead. When trying to jump it, connect the jumper cables and then disconnect the negative lead from your battery to take it out of the circuit. A bad cell can make it act like a huge resistor and even a jump won't overcome that for enough power to crank (or operate the top).

If that doesn't do the trick, you can manually operate the soft top. Instructions are in the owner's manual, and here's a video showing the process. They used an A20 E-Class, but it's identical to the W209 CLK:

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/ManualClose.wmv

Also, if the partition does not stay in place, you should replace the Lift-O-Mat struts on it. They are available here (assuming you are int he USA):

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...59-MFG624.aspx
Thanks! Will definitely try this later. I had read about the struts and initially thought that was the problem. But once I moved the wire out of the way, the partition opens and closes fully without issue. The problem is the wire keeps popping back into the space where it blocks the partition. I was attempting to fix it based on the post below. I did open and close the top a bunch of times with the engine off so that may have done the battery in.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...k-320-a-3.html
Old 04-17-2019, 12:04 AM

2014 C300 4Matic
Rudeney you were 100% correct- the battery was dead. I was able to jump start it today after charging my booster pack overnight. Apparently 75% charged wasn’t enough. The top operates too and did not require manually closing. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2019, 08:43 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
When I worked a the dealership, we had dead batteries all the time. Cars would sit on the lot for months unused. The sales department had a portable jump pack they'd use, and it rarely worked. The service department had a large rolling unit that was a bit better, but often the only way to get one started was to disconnect the dead battery.