CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

2001 CLK55 Wheel and Tires Question

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by 55Power
Chappy,

I switched to the 18' Mono II's as well. I was told that you can use the factory lugs but Luke at Tire Rack offered me a new set for free anyways. I compared the threads and they are of exactly equal length. The head portion of the new bolts were longer which was the only difference.
I switch to 235front and 265rear with abosolutely no rubbing problems at all.
I am very pleased with my switch to 18' Mono as the rims have much more of a lip and the ride quality has not diminished.
Thank you. This is exactly the information is was seeking. I'm going to try the 265s on the rear instead of the 255s and see how that goes. Keep in mind, I'm running 2 bump front and 1 bump rear pads with euro-spec springs (which Learso has well, but is running higher spring pads IIRC.)

I'm unloading some spares at the moment, but should have the setup installed soon.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Chappy
In changing to 18 Mono IIs, did anyone have to change lug bolts or can I use the same lugs as on my 17" Mono IIs?

Also, trying to decide between 255/35-18 and 265-35-18 for the rear. Any rubbing issues? Which should I go with?
Hey, Chappy -

I actually went even wider, with the 275/35's on the rear of mine (had previously done 265's)....no rubbing issues except one time, when I hit a really, really bad dip and got a small rub, but in every day driving, none.

Now, having said that, I must add a few caveats: I almost never have rear (or front, for that matter) passengers in my car, or heavy stuff in my trunk. So, ymmv...

I definitely wouldn't go with the 255's...even with the 275's, traction is still a serious issue, thanks in no small part to the FARGIN' ARSEHOLES at Mercedes Benz who were TOO CHEAP to put a limited slip on the car! And mark my words: I won't be buying another AMG until or unless they start putting those on there, standard, period.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Improviz
Hey, Chappy -

I actually went even wider, with the 275/35's on the rear of mine (had previously done 265's)....no rubbing issues except one time, when I hit a really, really bad dip and got a small rub, but in every day driving, none.

Now, having said that, I must add a few caveats: I almost never have rear (or front, for that matter) passengers in my car, or heavy stuff in my trunk. So, ymmv...

I definitely wouldn't go with the 255's...even with the 275's, traction is still a serious issue, thanks in no small part to the FARGIN' ARSEHOLES at Mercedes Benz who were TOO CHEAP to put a limited slip on the car! And mark my words: I won't be buying another AMG until or unless they start putting those on there, standard, period.
Great info, thanks!

My only concern is that with running one bump pads in the rear with euro-spec springs, I may not have as much clearance as you. Any pics of the beast with the meaty 275s in the rear?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Great info, thanks!

My only concern is that with running one bump pads in the rear with euro-spec springs, I may not have as much clearance as you. Any pics of the beast with the meaty 275s in the rear?
You know, I haven't taken any with them on there yet...only got pics with the 265's. If I take her out this weekend, I'll try to remember to snap a few shots!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:33 AM

01' CLK55 - 02' IS300 - 97' Ducati 900SSSP - 70' Triumph Tr6c Bonneville
Tricky those look like custom HRE's. One of the few wheel manufacturers to make some nice customs for the 55. I'm looking for some black 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 for my 01' 55. I bought the above size wheels from ADR. they are the M Sport's. They retailer and the factory told me they would fit no problem. So I bought them in Hyper Black. They wouldn't fit without spacers..... The fronts still run when cutting the wheel too far in reverse....The clear coat on the rears began to peel after a couple months...The retailer nor the factory would back them....The fronts are fine as far as the finish goes....I guess a bad batch of clear or hardener on the rear lot.....I want to get a new set asap....Any help would be appreciated....Thanks in advance,
Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Originally Posted by direk
New owner here. Got the car with BBS RX2's 8.5 / 10 18's wheels. Tires are sized at 245.35.18 and 265.35.18. My problem is that the rear wheel actually appears to stick out past the tire side wall. "Me no likey the look!"

Me might likey the look. Got any pics of that set up?

I was thinking of 265/35/18 on the rear and 235/40/17s up front. Like the original Mustang, the 208 is practically begging for a hot rod set up.

But Luke the Tireman said DON'T DO THIS since the taller rears would throw the traction control system a loop. eek:

Has anyone tried this ? If it's good enough for the CLK DTM why can't it work on a 55 AMG?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by neilbo75
Has anyone tried this ? If it's good enough for the CLK DTM why can't it work on a 55 AMG?
Improviz has 18s on back and 17s up front....not certain of the tire size.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Improviz has 18s on back and 17s up front....not certain of the tire size.
Front is stock wheels/tire size.

Rear has 210 E55 wheels bearing 275/35-18's, the same size as the 210 E55....here's a side shot:

Old 05-16-2006, 05:21 AM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Thanks Improviz for the photo. The set up looks great.

You have to look closely to see that the wheels are not the same size. Subtle yet powerful. Modern Corvettes also have an inch more rim on the rear axle. I like the way the AMG front rotors stuff in behind the 17 inch wheel. IMHO it's hard to justify going to 18s in front unless you want to put in bigger rotors. And that starts getting expensive ....

I understand that you have no problems with traction control, etc., keeping in mind that the larger rear wheel and lower profile tire combo is no more than about half an inch larger diameter than stock. How has the change affected ride and handling?

The photo is wider than my computer screen! How could you fit it in past the server? I'm also wondering how you managed to fit in 275s. I would love to see another photo, taken from the back to show the wide stance of those meats.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Lookin' good, Improviz
Old 05-16-2006, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Thanks Improviz for the photo. The set up looks great.
Thanks!

And hey, thanks to you too, Chappy!! Been awhile....hope all's well in hot 'lanta!

But back to neilbo75's stuff:

You have to look closely to see that the wheels are not the same size. Subtle yet powerful. Modern Corvettes also have an inch more rim on the rear axle. I like the way the AMG front rotors stuff in behind the 17 inch wheel. IMHO it's hard to justify going to 18s in front unless you want to put in bigger rotors. And that starts getting expensive ....
Yeah. Actually, it was from the 'vettes that I got this idea.

I understand that you have no problems with traction control, etc., keeping in mind that the larger rear wheel and lower profile tire combo is no more than about half an inch larger diameter than stock. How has the change affected ride and handling?
As you would expect, the ride is a bit stiffer, but not hugely so...worth it for the significantly better traction, imo. Handling wasn't affected hugely...a bit more understeer if you really, really push it, but there's always the throttle for that. It'll still snap-oversteer on you, though ($*#& Mercedes jerks who chose not to put a LSD on here...grrrr....), but it definitely is much-improved over stock--especially off the line.

The photo is wider than my computer screen! How could you fit it in past the server? I'm also wondering how you managed to fit in 275s. I would love to see another photo, taken from the back to show the wide stance of those meats.
Actually, I posted it at imageshack.com and simply linked to the image in the post, because of its size. Here's a rear shot:

Last edited by Improviz; 05-17-2006 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:32 AM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Ready to rumble!