CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Going to the Track!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Kleemann CLK55 S6
Thumbs up Going to the Track!

Members, I'm headed out again to the local 1/4 mile drag strip. (Been there before, hence the forum name) and I thought that I'd ask you folks for any racing tips (other than go fast and win) so that I can get a better launch at the light. Information is POWER.

Let the advice begin................
Old 08-26-2008, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic
///

Originally Posted by IEATZ06s
Members, I'm headed out again to the local 1/4 mile drag strip. (Been there before, hence the forum name) and I thought that I'd ask you folks for any racing tips (other than go fast and win) so that I can get a better launch at the light. Information is POWER.

Let the advice begin................
what kinda car you driving?
Mods?
Old 08-26-2008, 05:46 AM
Almost a Member!

'07 C230 Sport, '05 CLK55 AMG (Sold)
Hmmm...I'd say drink lots of Red Bull, and go straight...

Which track?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
What kind of tires do you have on the car? If you are on regular street tires you will have a vERY difficult time getting traction. If you are on drag radials, make sure to heat them up really nicely and have low psi in the rear tires. If they have ice available at the track, try to ice down the supercharger in the pits between passes. I am VERY interested to see what kind of numbers you will be pulling.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:27 PM

2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
At the track you can try launching the car two ways.

First Method: Turn off the ESP. Heat up the tires using the power brake method. At the lights, press the gas pedal in a firm steady motion off the lights- just enough to not spin the tires to much (you pressed to hard to quickly).

Second Method: Turn off the ESP. Heat up the tires using the power brake method. At the lights, power brake the tires around 1300 rpms (will depend on you and the car) so that the tires are spinning but not to much. Be careful to not press on the brake pedal to hard or your won't be able to spin the tires properly. It requires some practice to get both amounts of pressure on the different pedals correctly. When its time, let off the brake and firmly press down on the gas.

I would go out to a clear and open patch of road, where cars don't usually go, and try each method out. The ultimate key is to get of the line quickly without spinning the tires to much or bogging the car down at launch.

Good luck and let us know how your times go!