CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Daddy has a race car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
improviz, i will admit that your point is purely based in reality and is being made exclusively with responsibility in mind however you are coming off as extremely conservative. although your message is essentially a good one you may want to practice a little humility. if you think jr is impulsive and derogatory you certainly come off as arrogant and saintly.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Zal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK55
Originally Posted by UKA180man
2 kids in car seats & 110 +, very DUH Zal !! Could be one accident, no kids quicker than U realize

Nice driving,with your kids in the back.

+1 c43amg. That's what I was getting at with my "how old is daddy" comment. Sounds a little immature for someone who brought 10 kids into the world. I don't go faster than 90 if I have ANYONE in the car. Well maybe a little faster but only for brief periods.

Its not that at all, it's just you're a complete idiot for driving at speeds upwards on 110+ with anyone elses life in your hands besides your own!
Howdy all, since I am the guy that started the ruckus, lets hope I can end it with a little civility. My ego is not that large to take offense at any of the blasting you have chosen to post on this thread .

What I find fascinating is how my comments have been put into contexts that are specific to the individual..... and not representative of the situation, yet some of you have chosen to put forth some valid but less than polite perspectives.

Now in the interest of closing the acrimonious dialog civilly hear are some facts - NOT EXCUSES:

1. I am a responsible driver that does like to enjoy his car
2. The car is immaculately maintained - so mechanical condition of the car is almost perfect
3. The high speed runs occur in Texas on SPECIFIC on-ramps that are long and I have plenty of visibility to traffic so I am not merging and scaring the dickens out of somebody, and I am familiar with.
4. The high velocity ceases once I am on the freeway
5. These occassional bursts of speeds normally occur on sat AMs or weekends where there is no concern with traffic and I do NOT drive at 110mph in traffic!!
6. I have had track time in this car and am proficient at handling it
7. The children are in 5 point harnesses

ALL that said - I DO AGREE it is not the smartest thing to do and does raise the risk (differently in our various opinions) to myself and the kids. So those of you that have rather strenuously questioned my judgement you have a right to. That being said I find there are more day to day driving situations that have nothing to do with speed that scare me and endanger my kids more than my occasional burst of controlled speed.

So now to all you well meaning posters to this rather lively thread, lets tone down the attitude and continue the scientific dialog if you wish, and a request that before you choose to speak your mind freely you perhaps ask for some more clarifying facts and then let loose with both barrels if justified.

What disappointed me the most and prompted this response (though my reaction to date since my post was just to ignore the vituperate dialog) was the civility of some of the posters. I enjoy the forum and the dialog on it and would like to encourage all to treat each other with basic courtesy and respect... though you may have a divergent opinion.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
I never said driving 110 in 75 mph traffic and neither did the OP. A bunch of you guys jumped all over him for saying he made a quick sprint up to 110 while merging...I am not condoning driving 110 where the conditions do not call for such a speed. There is a big difference between flooring a car for a few seconds to merge or make a pass than weaving in and out of 75mph traffic at 110 mph....I hate people that drive like that.
OK, fine, point taken. And I agree with you...if the cops would spend 1/10 the effort finding these weaving reckless jerks and citing them for it that they do nailing people for going 5 over or "running a stop sign" for failing to come to a complete, total, no-molecules-on-the-vehicle-must-be-moving stop when there's not another car within 500 yds of you, the roads would be safer.

My point is that 3-4 of you guys jumped all over the poor guy for doing something I'm sure 90% of you do without even thinking about it anyways, the only reason I threw in the mini-van subject is becuase a CLK 55 can stop better, turn better and make evasive manuvers much easier, safer in more in control as a mini-van even if the CLK is traveling at a much higher rate of speed...
In every performance respect, from handling to braking to high speed stability to avoidance maneuvers, the CLK is a vastly superior car to a minivan. My only point wrt braking is that most people don't realize just how much those distances increase with speed; intuitively, you'd think that at 100 it would be roughly double that of 60, not the triple that it actually is, and that you'd think that going from 100-140 would give you 40% longer stopping distance while in fact it doubles, to over two football fields.

Those poor kids that got killed on that runway down in Florida last year doubtlessly thought that they could get the vehicle up to speed and stop within the distance on the runway, and they paid the ultimate price for their mistake. So since then, I've tried to point this out every now and then, just os that people are aware of it, and the accompanying risks.

Anyway, I certainly wasn't out to compare a minivan to a CLK55, although the R63 would probably give it a good run for its money.

unless your last name is Schumacher, it's a pretty safe bet that you are not driving a mini-van at 75-80 with the same control as a CKL 55 at 110mph, I bet Mr Schumacher himself would would not even take that bet.
Lol...this reminds me of the Top Gear thing where the host ran a certain time at Nurburgring in a Jag, and Sabine Schmidt (the very hot BMW Ring Taxi pilot, who held the track record for a time) told him she could beat it in a delivery van....they took her up on it, and she actually didn't quite beat him, but did get within a second or so as I recall...great video, google it if you haven't seen it.

Anyway, all I wanted to do was point this stuff out so that people would be aware....I know when I looked into it after those kids died (trying to piece together what happened) it was a real eye-opener to see just how huge the stopping distances were at very high speeds, and it has definitely put the brakes on what I'm willing to do behind the wheel, so to speak.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGOODNESS
improviz, i will admit that your point is purely based in reality and is being made exclusively with responsibility in mind however you are coming off as extremely conservative.
In terms of conserving life, yes, particularly those of very young children and/or innocent folks on the highway....I've got two now, and couldn't bear to think of anything happening to them, or seeing anyone else have to suffer such a loss.

Originally Posted by AMGOODNESS
although your message is essentially a good one you may want to practice a little humility. if you think jr is impulsive and derogatory you certainly come off as arrogant and saintly.
I'm far from being a saint, but I do see a certain amount of caution and prudence as being virtuous. Arrogant? I don't think so, just defending my numbers when they're called into question, with the confidence that comes from double-checking one's figures before posting....I, after all, didn't develop the equation for kinetic energy...that would be Sir Issac Newton, who was arrogant, but given his accomplishments could probably be declared "entitled" without too much of a stretch...but I digress.