CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Modifying CLK63 cabrio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 W210 E55, CLK 63, S65, Infinity Qx56, Taurus SHO - all heavy moded, Porsche Cayenne Turbo stock
Modifying CLK63 cabrio

Just picked up one for my wife. Looking for what can be done to it. Will defenetly do strut tie bars(BTW does once from black series fit and how much ar they, air box.
What else is availiable and from what vendors
Old 03-02-2010, 03:11 PM

I would recommend updating the differential to limited slip (posi traction). As is, this car will just spin the passenger rear tire, until the tire melts. So # 1 mod; traction.

I recall the parts for this were $1500.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sold - CLK500
I would also advise you upgrade the suspension to a bilstein pss9 coilover kit.
The car will be another animal with this kit and will have full dampening and height adjustment.!

OR JUST LEAVE IT STOCK AS ITS YOUR WIFE'S CAR AND MOD YOURS INSTEAD!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 PM

2 W210 E55, CLK 63, S65, Infinity Qx56, Taurus SHO - all heavy moded, Porsche Cayenne Turbo stock
I'm defenetly doing mods to the suspention. How are PSS9 vs KW Stage 2
Old 03-03-2010, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sold - CLK500
Originally Posted by LCat
I'm definitely doing mods to the suspension. How are PSS9 vs KW Stage 2
I wrote this review after installing the coilovers -

"i am totally blown away with the difference in the car. I had previously run just h&r springs with stock shocks. The car responds with the flick of your wrist, as soon as you turn the wheel the rear is already pointing in the direction your steering to.

I can’t believe how much difference the coilovers have made, to be honest i don’t know why people who have the coilovers haven’t given them so much praise as i have.

I will explain what I found from them, they have reduced the amount of rattling and juddering from normal driving. The car sits flat going around corners now and the tires don’t squeak much because of the additional grip.

I’m currently on setting 5/6 which is right in the middle; therefore I could get a lot harder and softer. I think this setting is perfect for street use and I can switch it to 1 on the odd track day. I highly recommend the kit!"

As for power mods, forget about adding power there really is no need. In my opinion CF air boxes do nothing. I mean if you aren’t increasing the opening in which air passes through in the grill I can’t see how that slightly larger volume air box will do much. It’s more of an aesthetic part.

I am yet to install h&r sway bars but it’s on the list, as is an engine conversion to a 55k motor and 6 piston brakes.

As another member mentioned the Quaife LSD would be good for holding down that power but it's only necessary if your wife drives the car hard.

I hope this will steer you in the right direction, it seems you have experience in modifying cars and will ultimately make the right decisions.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by mk4mike; 03-03-2010 at 12:09 AM.