CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Ahh, it's sooooo nice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL450
Ahh, it's sooooo nice!

It’s now been a month senses I had my Car Kleemannized. Everyday I drive it; it just keeps reminding how seamless it really is.

I went on dinner run last Saturday night with a bunch of Corvette friends.
I had no problem staying with them. The biggest problem was telling myself not to pass.
Every time the leader would take off in a spirited fashion, I’d be right on his tail and have to change lanes to avoid getting to close. A few times I just zip up a head a bit just to let him know I could take him anytime I wanted. But then Id slow up and let him catch up.
The Kleemann system is so smooth; you don’t even know it’s there. No super charger whine that some people try and lead you to believe is normal. It’s just smooth even awesome power.
And stomping a few Corvettes just adds to the joy of owning a Kleemannized car.
Thought I’d share with you my experience,
Tim
Old 03-31-2003, 06:05 PM

thanx tim for sharing....
Old 03-31-2003, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
No prob,
I'm just very happy with this system. I highly recommend the Kleemann Super Charger system. If you haven't driven a Kleemann car make it a point to do so, you'll be hooked.
Tim
Old 03-31-2003, 08:29 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Great write up Tim! so jealous!
Old 04-01-2003, 06:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
hmmm you should be able to stomp Corvettes on highway just bone stock w/out Kleeman...
Old 04-01-2003, 08:43 AM

CLK55, Mini S
I agree with Eurosport -- a stock CLK55 should have no problem with most Corvettes. Sounds like someone is overcompensating...
Old 04-01-2003, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R170
Eurosport / hmrdwn... If you think a stock CLK55 could keep up with a Z06...or other modified vettes... you're sadly mistaken. Hell, a stock C5 is probably faster than a CLK55

Way to show them who's boss Tim... you've gotta stop making me jealous, or i'm liable to go out an get a CLK55 K!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
i still think CLK 55 would beat a corvette on the highway (top end speeds not 0-60 crap)
Old 04-01-2003, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
Having owned several Corvettes and most of my friends own corvette. And having done every modification possible I know those cars inside out. They are the quickest mass produced car made.
A stock CLK55 is a nice car but not a fast car.
Adding a supecharger, (one that works that is!) makes the CLK55 a very quick car. But there are still a few cars out there that will beat it.
There are allot of reasons, gearing, weight, spool up time.
For the money the Corvette is an awesome car.
I still like my CLK, but if I had more room there would be a Corvette in my garage.
Later,
Tim
PS
You need to go drive a corvette!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:40 AM

2001 CLK 55
Originally posted by Dave OH
Eurosport / hmrdwn... If you think a stock CLK55 could keep up with a Z06...or other modified vettes... you're sadly mistaken. Hell, a stock C5 is probably faster than a CLK55

Way to show them who's boss Tim... you've gotta stop making me jealous, or i'm liable to go out an get a CLK55 K!
Not happening, I have run three friends with Vettes, one with a new Z06 and the other two with older models. My "stock" CLK creeps away from both on the hwy. With the Z06, it is not as pronounced. Depending on launch from a stand still, the Z06 takes the CLK by ~a car length, if that, but certainly nothing to boast about. The C5 looses all day by at least a couple car lengths, every time. No offense.

(Slam if you want, but the truth hurts )

Joe

Last edited by Joe55; 04-01-2003 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:49 AM

ML 320 CDI
I don't know if a CLK 55 can take a C5 on the highway, but on the track ( the place where we judge real sport car) the CLK 55 is much better.
I remember when sport auto tested a brabus CLK 5.8 (400 HP) against a C5 on the nurburgring (I still can't remember the correct spelling of this name), the CLK put 3 sec on laptime to the C5!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:55 AM

2001 CLK 55
Originally posted by Paul Le Corre
I don't know if a CLK 55 can take a C5 on the highway, but on the track ( the place where we judge real sport car) the CLK 55 is much better.
I remember when sport auto tested a brabus CLK 5.8 (400 HP) against a C5 on the nurburgring (I still can't remember the correct spelling of this name), the CLK put 3 sec on laptime to the C5!
I think it's spelled Neubruecke, I was stationed there in 91. I just had to ask the wife, who speaks German to spell it, I could never spell the German city names either.

Joe
Old 04-01-2003, 10:02 AM

CLK55, Mini S
Driven plenty of corvettes, but I just couldn't stomach having to wear the multiple gold chains and hair grease required to own one. Took me half an hour just to get the salami smell off my hands after driving it.

I prefer to drive a car with class, not an erector set of bolted together pieces. But if you do, great. Just don't think a free-spending desire to *****-up your car with add-on junk makes it special to anyone but yourself and a handful of mod-addicts/hobbists.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
Originally posted by hmrdwn
Driven plenty of corvettes, but I just couldn't stomach having to wear the multiple gold chains and hair grease required to own one. Took me half an hour just to get the salami smell off my hands after driving it.

I prefer to drive a car with class, not an erector set of bolted together pieces. But if you do, great. Just don't think a free-spending desire to *****-up your car with add-on junk makes it special to anyone but yourself and a handful of mod-addicts/hobbists.
That's harsh!
Can you really generalize people like that?
I mean just because something doesn't fit your needs doesn't put into a less than desirable class. I’ve met allot of Mercedes owners that I consider having no class and try my best to avoid. How many Mercedes do you see that haven’t been washed/detailed in months maybe even years. Compared to a true car/Corvette enthusiast that details the car inside and out including the engine and under carriage of his car after every outing?
Not everyone that owns a Corvette falls into the category you described.
It’s a shame that there are so many close minded people.
But that’s what makes the world go around.
Have a nice day,
Tim
Old 04-01-2003, 12:50 PM

2001 CLK 55
Originally posted by hmrdwn

I totally agree with Timster, there's nothing wrong with these vehicles......ppl, like yourself, need to curb those emotions and stop the hate.
As to the cantankous statement of modifying one's own car.....matter of personal taste, you don't like it, well, that's your business. Not everyone with real "class" shares your opinion, way too off-color.

Keep the peace alive and check your hate at the door....you're life will be a much happier one!

Joe
Old 04-01-2003, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C'mon now. The CLK55 is a great car, but a Z06 with a comparable driver is going to make it look like a non-contender on the road or the track. Say what you want about the Z06's aesthetics, however, the Z06 is a true sports car unlike the stock CLK55. Those CLK55 owners that think the stock CLK55 can really hang with the Z06 are really engaging in some wishful thinking. As for hmrdwn.... he's just got some serious envy issues. But he is right... the average Mercedes driver is not interested in the world of mods available for Mercedes.... but that's only because the average Mercedes driver isn't ready for it.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 MB CLK55
The way you guys take the bait I am worried you might be seriously injured by the hook! LOL
Old 04-02-2003, 09:29 PM

No longer car shopping...
CLK55 runs away from "stock" corvettes

I've run from a few corvettes (always 60+ to 110/120). There is a guy around here with a yellow one that has a tag on it URTOAST. It is a 6-speed but I don't know if he's got any mods That yellow sure does stick out like a sore thumb. If we did run, I know that the cop would only see a yellow streak in front of him. Probably wouldn't even notice the docile silver car 4 car-lenghts in front of him.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only way a stock CLK55 is running away from a stock ZO6 is if the driver of the ZO6 either doesn't know what he is doing or doesn't care. Look at the hp, torque and 1/4 mile numbers on the 2 cars. I love the CLK55 and am not a fan of Corvettes, however, from a pure performance perspective, a stock CLK55 luxury performance coupe doesn't match up with a stock ZO6 sports car.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:28 PM

'01 CLK55
Stock C5 vs CLK55 - close though at the higher speeds I expect the '55 would walk away, until the governor hits.

Z06 - gotta give it to the Vette, just a faster car all around.

As for mdded, well yeesh, you can mod anything enough to beat anything else, so that's not really worth an argument.

Having owned a 'Vette, I'll add this: the Corvette is a great car that feels like a street-legal racer. The quality is unarguably less than the CLK, but it's not a luxury car anyway. It's more of a seat of the pants, tear down the road and throw it into the curves fun car to drive; the CLK55 is an all around athlete that's a pleasure to drive every day. 2 very different cars with comparable performance and quite different price tags!