CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK55 AMG Starting issue - starter turns, stops, turns, stops..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG Convertible
CLK55 AMG Starting issue - starter turns, stops, turns, stops..

This is my first post on this site, and Im quite sure it wont be my last. Got this car 6 years ago, and its been problem after problem.

My latest issue happens more frequently now than when it first started. Heres my issue.... When its actin up, and I turn the key and HOLD it, the starter turns the engine, then stops, turns it again then stops.... keeps doin this.. Ive checked and verified the battery was charged and working properly, changed the relay under the hood, and verified it wasnt the starter. I should mention that turnin the key then lettin go does nothing (supposed to start on its own). Every issue Ive had with this car, many others have had as well. Someone out there has to know whats goin on! I should also mention that it only has 42k miles. Should have bought an M. OH YEAH... also I was in Mercedes of Greenwich for a complete diagnostics, and got no codes (for unrelated but fixed issue) for anything.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:48 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like the crankshaft position sensor to me. It usually has this problem when it's hot. Engine tries to turn over and over and eventually starts. Sooner or later it will start stalling and ultimately it will not work at all. The part is $50 from Autohusz...you'll need a 1/4 narrow E8 torx nut driver, a swivel adapter and a long extension. It is in a really tight low spot at the bottom rear of the engine...just above the transmission. There is one M6 bolt holding it in place. You disconnect the electric lead and unscrew the small bolt. Out comes the old, in goes the new. screw down bolt, reattach electric and away you go. Getting the bolt is the tough part. If you use a 3/8 torx (can get at any auto supply) it is too wide to fit into the space where the bolt is located. Some of the DIY threads say that you can use them but I had no luck. There are some DIY CPS threads around..do a search
Old 06-26-2011, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG Convertible
The car doesnt turn over. The starter engages for about .5 second then stops. another 2 seconds later it engages for another .5 second and goes on and on till i let go of the key. The car is kept in a garage, and I hadnt driven it for a week (battery was well charged) and it did what I explained when I tried to start it. I really dont think its the crankshaft sensor.. I have none of the symptoms that would indicate that. Anyone else?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
That sounds like what I had just before I replaced it...keep us updated when you get to the bottom of this.