CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Thoughts on buying a high-mileage 04 CLK55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Thoughts on buying a high-mileage 04 CLK55 AMG

Hey, I saw an 04 CLK55 AMG on Craigslist and really like it. Just curious what you guys think it's worth, and if it's worth a look. This is the ad. KBB on it is ~$6500, but it's hard to find any others for sale to compare it to.

I've talked to the seller and was told these parts were recently replaced,
Everything on the suspension. Control arms, thrust arms, tie rods, sway bar links... Also, new ac compressor and new power steering pump with high pressure hoses.
I've been reading about this car, watching videos, and kind of fell in love with it.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2015, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
price seems a little high for the milage, however, if it was properly taken care of then thats not an issue. a 100K car will need all new suspension as well. Ask for service records and to inspect the car. Who did the work, what parts manufacturer was used, OEM, ect? Do a compression check on the engine. also have the trans oil checked. look for leaks. Drive the car over bad roads and see how it feels.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
That car wouldnt sell for more than 6.5k anywhere! check the forums here there was a clean 04 with service records and 101k miles guy would probably let it go for 9k
Old 09-04-2015, 01:55 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Hello there. I paid roughly $12 600 for mine well our currency aint much compared to $$$ but mine had 147k miles on her. I had a look at the car. Saw one or two dodgy things. I drove the car hard and slow. Tested everything and found the faults that I could bring to attention. Sadly I did not look at the brakes on the front properly and I did not hear the sound from the prop indicating worn flex disc but have driven 1242 miles on a vacation and its now on 150k miles and the only issue I had was one of my cats went out on me.
Make sure you test everything because my heated seats, driver head rest switch, rear window controller from driver main and PDC weren't working. Sadly I was unable to test all as I didn't know how. So they fixed the switch and have informed me that they will cover the cost for the head rest switch. The PDC luckily it was just a broken wire for me. Soldered and heat shrinked and now my cruise control works lovely and the PDC is terrific. Actually used it the entire way on my 1000mile trip. Funny you may say I mention PDC and talk of my cruise control. The two work together from my experiences.
Before I would cover like 12miles or 20 and it would say distronic malfunction, check owners manual. Tells me to clean the darn sensor.

My SRS light was on since the day I saw the car and I was fully aware of that as well as no spare key which costed me down the line a new key from agents. Luckily the SRS seems okay as when I have a occupant in the passenger seat then the SRS light goes out.

If I were you, run the vin at Merc dealership. Check the car out yourself. Lie flat on the floor to see under if you haveta. Check everything for mis-aligned panels to paint work to condition of brakes and disc and fluid levels and colour if possible as well as leaks and all your electrics.

Mine although slightly more than this car in value with less mileage, I have the face lift model. Dual exhaust at the rear and the std 18inch wheels. Dono if this one has television but mine has that as well. Make sure you test everything from instruments on dash, to instruments around and on the steering, keyless entry, and whatever else you can. Make sure you drive it hard and slow in manual and test the sports and comfort modes for the shifting on the box. Ensure the radio is off when you driving the car as you wana hear for abnormal noises. Ensure that the repairs done are legit and not just a by the way sale strategy. Ask for proof of payment and check that the parts do look new. You can gauge by looking at the rubbers on those parts.

Good luck on the decision.

Last edited by Khan 55; 09-04-2015 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:42 AM

None
Originally Posted by sick430
price seems a little high for the milage, however, if it was properly taken care of then thats not an issue. a 100K car will need all new suspension as well. Ask for service records and to inspect the car. Who did the work, what parts manufacturer was used, OEM, ect? Do a compression check on the engine. also have the trans oil checked. look for leaks. Drive the car over bad roads and see how it feels.
Originally Posted by Amir_AMG
That car wouldnt sell for more than 6.5k anywhere! check the forums here there was a clean 04 with service records and 101k miles guy would probably let it go for 9k
Originally Posted by Khan 55
Hello there. I paid roughly $12 600 for mine well our currency aint much compared to $$$ but mine had 147k miles on her. I had a look at the car. Saw one or two dodgy things. I drove the car hard and slow. Tested everything and found the faults that I could bring to attention. Sadly I did not look at the brakes on the front properly and I did not hear the sound from the prop indicating worn flex disc but have driven 1242 miles on a vacation and its now on 150k miles and the only issue I had was one of my cats went out on me.
Make sure you test everything because my heated seats, driver head rest switch, rear window controller from driver main and PDC weren't working. Sadly I was unable to test all as I didn't know how. So they fixed the switch and have informed me that they will cover the cost for the head rest switch. The PDC luckily it was just a broken wire for me. Soldered and heat shrinked and now my cruise control works lovely and the PDC is terrific. Actually used it the entire way on my 1000mile trip. Funny you may say I mention PDC and talk of my cruise control. The two work together from my experiences.
Before I would cover like 12miles or 20 and it would say distronic malfunction, check owners manual. Tells me to clean the darn sensor.

My SRS light was on since the day I saw the car and I was fully aware of that as well as no spare key which costed me down the line a new key from agents. Luckily the SRS seems okay as when I have a occupant in the passenger seat then the SRS light goes out.

If I were you, run the vin at Merc dealership. Check the car out yourself. Lie flat on the floor to see under if you haveta. Check everything for mis-aligned panels to paint work to condition of brakes and disc and fluid levels and colour if possible as well as leaks and all your electrics.

Mine although slightly more than this car in value with less mileage, I have the face lift model. Dual exhaust at the rear and the std 18inch wheels. Dono if this one has television but mine has that as well. Make sure you test everything from instruments on dash, to instruments around and on the steering, keyless entry, and whatever else you can. Make sure you drive it hard and slow in manual and test the sports and comfort modes for the shifting on the box. Ensure the radio is off when you driving the car as you wana hear for abnormal noises. Ensure that the repairs done are legit and not just a by the way sale strategy. Ask for proof of payment and check that the parts do look new. You can gauge by looking at the rubbers on those parts.

Good luck on the decision.
thanks for the advice, I know the price was way too high, i was thinking around $6k but i think i'll pass on this one. I found one with 53k miles got them to 9.5k but i need to be around 7k. I wish i could afford it!
And you said yours is the facelift with dual exhaust? Is that the quad tips with 2 on either side or just 2 tips on one side?

Last edited by Noah.S; 09-04-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
05 CLK55 AMG (1 of 247) Cubanitsilber designo series
For any CLK in the early to mid 2000's, you should be prepared to pump 3 - 4K into it to remedy problems and bring the car up to driving standards. Not counting brakes which are pricey and tires, or CELs, issues like the 03's and some 04's that have suspect radiators that may need to be replaced, motor mounts and transmission mount are a given, front suspension bushings, valve cover gaskets and breather box resealing alone with new breather hoses, fuel pumps and filters (in the 05's and newer the pumps are inside the fuel tank and very expensive to replace). If the car has been street light raced or worse, expect issues with the drive train, transmission, high oil consumption, etc.

In other words, a 7 grand used Mercedes actually costs a lot more if you want fun and reliable transportation. Mercedes are great cars, but like all German cars, are technically very complicated and expensive to maintain.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:37 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Yep what he said- Im having fun replacing suspension bushes at the moment. Parking sensors are next on the list. None of it is too difficult, it's just more expensive and lots of parts aren't sold separately from MB. Ie buy whole new swaybar instead of just the bush. Same with lower control arms. There are of course ways around these inconveniences.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
Ive owned mine over 12 years now and there is always stuff to replace. Just need to take the time and find a nice one. Look for one that was owned by a member here. Ive replaced so much on my car I could have bought a new E coupe.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:02 PM

C300 (204)
Originally Posted by Noah.S
Hey, I saw an 04 CLK55 AMG on Craigslist and really like it. Just curious what you guys think it's worth, and if it's worth a look. This is the ad. KBB on it is ~$6500, but it's hard to find any others for sale to compare it to.

I've talked to the seller and was told these parts were recently replaced,

I've been reading about this car, watching videos, and kind of fell in love with it.

Thanks!
Hiya, first post here hope I'm doing this correctly. Seems very cheap and a little disheartening that car goes for that cheap. The CLK55 AMG was my first and last Benz until a couple weeks ago. And I still talk about that car today as it was hands down the best car I ever owned. I'm sure there is a reason for it, but if you have the founds to get it back to its glory days it will be worth the blood sweat and tears getting it there.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
you'd be better off with a higher mileage car that's had a lot of parts recently replaced than with a 50K mile all original car. The car you mentioned in your OP would be a good candidate except its just out of your price range.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Agreed C3, I am seeing prices increasing on these cars in my area. A W208 CLK 55 AMG is still holding around 8-10k plus.

A W209 should net more with low pampered miles but had a low rating in early years. 03/04. I had to pass a W209 03 Braubus 18k mile gem. Should have went to Chase Bank.It was sent to MA retail lot. (sob) real happy with my 02 W208 though. (Fate)

It is best to purchase a AMG Benz from an enthusiast and not a flower portrait.

Gator
Old 09-07-2015, 02:17 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Noah you can check the image/photo thread and look mine up. Its on the last or 2nd last page. I have OEM 18's and quad exhaust. That is on either side. If it wasn't then I wouldn't have bought it as I was in the market for a C55 but couldn't find a nice one that met with my standards.