CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK55 AMG headlight issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk55 AMG
CLK55 AMG headlight issue

2003 CLK55 AMG

Hi - front right headlight won't come on or will eventually after between 1-20 minutes.

Swapped out bulbs to different sides - not that bulbs are good. Changed ballast for new one - not that either.

Local garage thought "it's the computer/unit under the passenger seat" needs replacing.....oh boy..

Like I say - the light will come on after a while and stays 100% solid once on - but there is no way to convince this headlight to work when you want it too.

Please help!

Last edited by jsteele3200; 02-25-2017 at 09:15 PM. Reason: added year and model
Old 02-26-2017, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Sounds like a finicky ballast for the xeon lamp.

Often the wiring insulation gets decayed from heat etc... it is common to get shorts when this happens.
Open the lamp replacement cover under the hood and inspect the wire harness. mend with electrical tape as needed.
Otherwise a xneon lamp ballast might fix it.
Use caution when working with xneon lamps. (gloves, eye protection, proper waste disposal)

Cheers, Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 02-26-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:13 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
As Gator mentioned. I would check the connectors first and inspect the wires. Might wana run the length of them till you find a possible fray in the cover and one or two wires for the respective light. You mentioned you swapped the xenon ballast, did the other one you use work prior to you testing it? Should just swap your two ballast with one another as well and see. I had a fault once with mine, blinking bulb. I dono if its due to the few disconnects and connects of battery that did something to fix it or was it due to me removing it from the connecter and just cleaning the connections but it no longer blinks. Your fault is different but check that first. I would not replace any controller unit for it and as far as I know, under the seat controllers don't control the head lamp circuit. Maybe I am wrong.