CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

nOOb to Forum with some initial impressions on W208 CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo
nOOb to Forum with some initial impressions on W208 CLK55

Hi all - I'm new to the MB community. A long time Audi/BMW enthusiast, an more recently picked up my first Porsche. I've always loved the W208 CLK and am eyeing a family friends CLK55 with 63k miles on it. I took it for a spin yesterday and didn't know what to expect so I thought I'd ask this group for some insight:

1) Steering was incredibly heavy, almost like the power steering went out. However once we started going and loaded up the wheel it became lighter. After some research it sounds like either the pump is starting to go or the variable ratio rack needs adjustment?

2) Steering feel was quite delayed and number on center for maybe 5-10 degrees of play before actually getting some response. This is a 15 year old car and while it has low miles, I'm guessing the bushings and shocks could be replaced?

3) The brakes on it were incredibly squishy to the touch, which is strange when I've researched the braking numbers and read other feedback on how great they are. Possibly just requires a fluid flush?

4) the throttle response was quite slow, but definitely put power down after about half a second. Granted we were on the surface streets and couldn't go that fast, I was surprised with how slow the tranny responded, especially given the high torque numbers on the car.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Sounds like that thing is way behind on maintenance.

With such low mileage it probably needs all fluids flushed and new sensors. No wonder power steering is acting funny and the brakes are slushy.

I had a 68k mile c43 and the MAF sensor on it was completely shot. New MAF will noticeably improve the power on these cars.