CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

need advice 1st benz maybe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 55 amg 2001 maybe
need advice 1st benz maybe

HIS BENZ

MY G
So I am scrolling through craigslist trying to find a trade for my 2003 g35 sedan auto 141k I see this ad for a 2001 clk 55 amg 174k
I MSG this owner and im just trying to figure out when i go to trade later what should i look for really. I am just planning looking
for bad leaks and seeing what happens when i full throttle it and check ride quality and irregular noises fluids ect.. , and if i liked it trade right then
but what else should i pay attention to? The small things or even bigger things im missing and what maintenance should i do im just thinking tranny,diff,coolant, oil,belts,filters,brake flush basically routine.
Or if it just sounds wrong tell me its not worth it I kinda
doubt it though. Thanks for any replies!
Old 06-18-2018, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
First of all, make sure it's a real CLK55 and not just a rebadged CLK430. Do you have the VIN? I can check for you.

I recently bought a 2002 CLK55 with 220k miles on it and I love it! IMO, the W208 chassis CLK55 is the perfect "starter AMG". These cars are relatively simple, compared to the newer generations, and they have plenty of power and low-end torque to make them fun to drive.
The engines and transmissions are very robust and will last forever if they are properly maintained.

There are the obvious things to look for in any used car purchase, so I'll just list those things that, in my experience, are specific to this type of car:

Check for oil leaks, especially at the rear of the engine. These engines have rear main seals that require transmission removal to R&R.
Check for bad engine mounts (the engine will try to jump out of the car when you put a load on it)
Check the front lower control arm bushings. (the rearward bushings don't last long)
Make sure the heater electronics work properly (my car only has defrost!)
Make sure the door and trunk locks work manually, and with the key remote and with the buttons on the dash/console. (there is a central locking pneumatic pump that can go bad)

I put up some DIY's for the engine mounts and bushings on StumptownBenz.com if you want to see what's involved in doing those jobs.