CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Tonneau cover stuck, wont budge!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 sl32. 2004 clk55
Tonneau cover stuck, wont budge!

Good day, I have a 2004 clk55 and the top stopped while closing. Button was flashing and dash display showed "top in operation" but it stopped with the back glass up and tonneau cover down but unlatched so down but still open. I could not get the glass to hook into the tonneau and it was raining so I managed to push the cover closed without latching the rear window so now cover is closed but rear glass is still open. I went out to open cover to reset everything, i can not get cover to open, like its locked down. I followed the manual instructions and folded down the two pivots on the hinges, I released the valve and twisted the things 90 degrees and cover wont budge. I think I released the proper struts (had like c clips holding them) and still nothing. Had my son help me pull the straps and he is a very strong wrestler and he couldnt budge this thing. Can anyone help with what im doing wrong, is there a latch im missing somewhere? Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG
Interested in this myself - I’ve tried everything short of unbolting from the bottom to pop the hinges up or out.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:27 AM

97 sl32. 2004 clk55
Well i noticed in a video i cant find now that shows a latch and a guy manually operates this latch with the cover open and then measures the latch when closed. Mine feels latched, I have tried all the stickies and other tricks mentioned but no luck. Hoping someone on here has dealt with this and knows the trick.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by amgpilot95
Well i noticed in a video i cant find now that shows a latch and a guy manually operates this latch with the cover open and then measures the latch when closed. Mine feels latched, I have tried all the stickies and other tricks mentioned but no luck. Hoping someone on here has dealt with this and knows the trick.
What video are you talking about with the latch?? It's going to get nice soon so I want to fix mine but gave up trying when it started getting cooler. Apparently right before I got my car it was out of sync and the last owner had to unbolt the cover and re-set the back glass, and at this point I'm thinking I may just keep it up forever, because I don't want to permanently damage the top.

Anyway, interested in seeing the video you mentioned. I thought I had seen most of it.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:39 PM

Clk320
Tonneau cover hinges

Can anyone identify and supply part numbers for the two tonneau cover hinges shown in this photo?
Old 02-24-2022, 02:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 CLK 55
BE SUPER CAREFUL WITH THIS I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY CLK55

Dont know what happened but my top ended up going back into the trunk crooked and its been in the autobody shop for over 8 months with no ETA
on parts because MB doesn't make a lot of the parts for the CLK anymore.