CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Impressions on Installed Headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk bs
Impressions on Installed Headers

First of all,I changed my user name as requested by some forum members so I am not new to the forum
Just thought I'd give you guys my impressions on some of the mods I did on the blk now that its almost 2yrs old....I had renntech headers and sound pipe installed yesturday and really did not feel any difference at all....as far as performance,I had the Evosport ecu flash already done last year....as well as BMC filters and cf airbox....so was it worth the dough?.....stilll not sure
Old 12-18-2010, 08:11 PM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
just out of interest what was your old name , why did you change it ?
for what its worth , if you cant notice a mod then its not worth it imo ...
Old 12-18-2010, 08:26 PM

CLS55, C63, 997 Turbo
Originally Posted by clkblk
First of all,I changed my user name as requested by some forum members so I am not new to the forum
Just thought I'd give you guys my impressions on some of the mods I did on the blk now that its almost 2yrs old....I had renntech headers and sound pipe installed yesturday and really did not feel any difference at all....as far as performance,I had the Evosport ecu flash already done last year....as well as BMC filters and cf airbox....so was it worth the dough?.....stilll not sure
Of all you did the only mods that should really make a huge difference is headers on that car. And for what I'm guessing you spent on Renntech headers, you should DEFINITELY have felt a difference. Your the 4th person I know who said this about renntech headers. Like I tell a lot of people, anything less than long tubes on the 63 is NOT WORTH IT. The car needs real headers on that motor to make power. Graham Rahal just bought a CLK Black that already had renntech headers. He removed the headers and sold them so he can install Evosport LT headers. You should consider the same. Since you already have Evosport ECU, I'm sure they can upgrade you to their stage 2 ECU for headers for a good price too.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:45 PM

clk bs
Originally Posted by WTDoom
just out of interest what was your old name , why did you change it ?
for what its worth , if you cant notice a mod then its not worth it imo ...
my old user name was bmwonly...anyways I did not realize that others had the same experience with the headers...will consider the LT headers,i quess
Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by clkblk
"Feel" is objective...
Any expensive performance mod should be preceeded by a base line dyno pull and then by a pull after the mods...
Only way you can confirm money well spent...
"Seat of the pants' dyno is not that accurate....
Old 12-19-2010, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
You should have noticed some performance gains (even seat of the pants) with an aftermarket header install. I noticed huge seat of the pants gains with my Evosport long tube headers, but then again I had the tune and headers done at the same time so going from stock to longtubes and tune probably made the gains feel much more noticable seat of the pants.

The advise the RBYCC gave about basline dyno data and then follow dyno pulls with each mod is great advise. It will show you what each round of mods netted you in hp and torque departments.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
I don't have the depth of BS mod experience that is possessed by jrcart, but my experience with lots of cars over 500 hp is that seat-of-pants impression is irrelevant for moderate hp gains. Personally, at this level, I don't think you can differentiate 15 hp up or down from other variables like ambient conditions.
Think about it. A gain of 15 hp is about 2.8%. If you think power-to-weight is important, you could shave about 100 pounds from our cars to achieve the same benefit. That's the difference between a full tank and nearly empty. Can you feel the difference in performance as the tank empties? I can't. Furthermore, hp gains from headers may not be seen throughout the range, so how can you tell the gain if it's occurring above 6000rpm?
But, unless you are a racer who takes pride in beating a competitor by .1 second at the strip, or half a second at the road course, I don't see much benefit from doing it all over. If you gained another 15 hp, you probably wouldn't feel that addition as compared to current. Your butt will long ago have forgotten what it felt like before you started the mod process. But, good luck with whatever decision you make. AS
Old 12-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
This info is coming strait from a former RENNtech employee. and I quote "RENNtech's headers for the CLK BS LOOSE HORSEPOWER! About 5whp. Then they gain it back with software." I don't think anyone outside of Lake Park FLA. wants you to know that though.

Being affiliated with Dyno-Comp before they dumped RENNtech. Dyno-Comp was the number 1 RENNtech dealer in the USA. We even had a RENNtech employee working out of Dyno-Comp. We've seen and tested every RENNtech product
Old 12-19-2010, 04:11 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
CLK63 Black Series Headers

MBH, do you have any headers for the CLK63 Black Series? I looked on your website, and on the dyno-comp website and could not find any headers for our cars.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:34 PM

If you can't feel it in your pants ... It's not worth the thousands of dollars spent along with potential resale hit for being modified.

G
Old 12-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by JDB
MBH, do you have any headers for the CLK63 Black Series? I looked on your website, and on the dyno-comp website and could not find any headers for our cars.
Yeah my wesite is so far from finished. I really need to make more time to work on it. I cant believe you found it, I haven't even mentioned it publicly.

We've made them for customers, Due to timing, I didn't make fixtures for them. I'm getting the car back soon so I can fixture them. If anyone want to come out to AZ, I can have headers made for a CLK BS in under a week. Complete with lifetime warranty. The CLK-BS is so close in fitment to our other 63 headers its not hard to make them at all. If anyone wants to come out to have headers made, I'll give that person a smokin deal.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:22 PM

clk bs
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
This info is coming strait from a former RENNtech employee. and I quote "RENNtech's headers for the CLK BS LOOSE HORSEPOWER! About 5whp. Then they gain it back with software." I don't think anyone outside of Lake Park FLA. wants you to know that though.

Being affiliated with Dyno-Comp before they dumped RENNtech. Dyno-Comp was the number 1 RENNtech dealer in the USA. We even had a RENNtech employee working out of Dyno-Comp. We've seen and tested every RENNtech product
You know I did not want to say it but I think you are right.....I actually think it feels sluggish now....oh heck its done now,I can always go back to stock but have to spend 700 bucks again
Old 12-19-2010, 07:00 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Just get your ECU tuned for the headers and you will maybe get some gains. I've heard the same thing about these headers...that they actually loose hp unless they are installed with a tune. Seems pretty lame to me especially for what they charge
Old 12-19-2010, 07:34 PM

clk bs
Originally Posted by LZH
Just get your ECU tuned for the headers and you will maybe get some gains. I've heard the same thing about these headers...that they actually loose hp unless they are installed with a tune. Seems pretty lame to me especially for what they charge
ECU already tuned by evosport....I just gave my impressions so that other would reconsider if they plan on some of these mods..
Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Your original post said you had Evosport tune it last year. I assumed that tune was NOT for a header mod since they tune the car differently for whatever mods you are running. If you had it tuned for the headers and still don't notice a difference I'd consider getting different headers. Did you buy the headers from Graham or directly from Renntech? If you bought them from Renntech I'd return them and demand a refund.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
How are the KLEEMANN headers? Does anyone on here have those on their BS?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports

Why would this be the case? You would think the stock ECU would be able to adapt somewhat to the change in flow or back pressure. If this is true, then their advertising is misleading -- claiming a 15HP/TQ gain with the headers only. What makes these headers so special that there would be no gain without special tuning? Now this is making me wonder what's going to happen if I throw on my Evosport shortys without a tune
Old 12-20-2010, 11:34 AM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
everyone of our products makes power, you don't have to worry about that. Now, putting the shorties on without a tune will make the car be lean, which can be dangerous, but that is another thread all together.

thanks
Brad
Old 12-20-2010, 12:11 PM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport
everyone of our products makes power, you don't have to worry about that. Now, putting the shorties on without a tune will make the car be lean, which can be dangerous, but that is another thread all together.

thanks
Brad
how can we do the evosport mods here in the uk ? if i bought headers and exhaust etc how would i do the ecu ? also would you modify it for uk grade fuel ( 97 / 98 octane RON ) ?
very interested !
( btw i already have your braided hoses , very good indeed ).

Last edited by WTDoom; 12-20-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by brad @ evosport

thanks
Brad
I had Evosport headers back in the day. They made power
Old 12-20-2010, 01:32 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Originally Posted by WTDoom
how can we do the evosport mods here in the uk ? if i bought headers and exhaust etc how would i do the ecu ? also would you modify it for uk grade fuel ( 97 / 98 octane RON ) ?
very interested !
( btw i already have your braided hoses , very good indeed ).
Contact me directly. We have some outfitters in the UK and I can discuss the parts and procedures.

thanks
brad
Old 12-20-2010, 03:18 PM

Long tubes are always best.
With shorties...can you feel a 7 (+ or -) horsepower increase?
Your exhaust sounds better I would venture so that could be a gain.
Maybe weight saving gain too.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:44 PM
PCH

'10 G55, Challenge Stradale, 997.1 GT3, E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by KENNY94945
Long tubes are always best.
That would be predicated on the set up and intended use.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by PCH
That would be predicated on the set up and intended use.
I don't think anyone here is looking to reduce HP or make their black series more civil. I see what yr getting at, but in the context of this thread I think it's pretty clear what the OP is looking for - more power !
Old 12-20-2010, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
RENNtech Headers CLK Black Series

I'm not sure how exactly your car would've lost power with the RENNtech headers and sound pipe. Heck the sound pipe alone (secondary cats delete) should've given you +5 to 10 whp

Here is the RENNtech dyno of a CLK63 BS with only shorty headers + tune (no sound pipe). They were able to gain +45 rwhp and +55 rwtq. However, if you look at the low to mid range, it looks like they gained almost +100 rwtq

And those gains were from V1 tuning (early development).... since then, they've made a lot more progress; the latest dyno I saw showed +52 rwhp and +61 rwtq.

By the way, where did you buy your headers and sound pipe from? I noticed there's been a lot of fake RENNtech headers selling on e-bay lately?

Last edited by MB_Forever; 12-20-2010 at 07:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gene Gorman (09-09-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Impressions on Installed Headers