MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-black-series-forum-registry-92/)
-   -   How many of you track your Blacks? Overall reliability? (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-black-series-forum-registry/507927-how-many-you-track-your-blacks-overall-reliability.html)

Viper98912 07-28-2013 10:51 AM

How many of you track your Blacks? Overall reliability?

Probably going to try to get one of these in the future, but looking at most of the FS posts many always talk about 'pampered miles' and 'never raced'.

Seeing as it was built for racing (sort of, since MB knew these would also need to be comfortable reliable trophy cars), how many of you race them? Road course, and even drags or autocross?

How do they perform on the road course (specifically, for novice drivers just looking to have occasional fun)? How about reliability after racing?

How about in-town/daily driving? Reliability woes? Do these 6.3 engines have the same issues as the C63 with the head bolt and other misc engine problems?

I know with some of the other higher level AMG's, there are issues, but most of these relate moreso to the platform of the vehicle as well as the higher level technology related to those higher platforms. Overall, I have to say that my C55 has been pretty darn reliable except for a few minor things that I fixed myself.

mellowyellow 07-30-2013 12:29 PM

Tracking should be a natural part of owning this car. If you're just going to put it on a pedestal in your garage, you're really missing out. I also can't understand why some people throw 20s on there and then slam it... It's like buying an umbrella and walking around with it on a sunny day to keep the sun off your skin, when suntan lotion would do just fine (and not make you look ridiculous at the same time). But hey, what do I know?

At least do a couple of track days if you end up getting one.

Yes, these cars have the same headbolt issue potential with the M156 - they were built in 2007/08.

Overall the BS is pretty reliable. Parts are going to be expensive like any AMG or other highline car.

Since I downsized to 2 cars, mine is now a daily driver. It's pretty rough on city streets, but the ride is not as harsh as say a GT3. But more importantly, the smile never goes away driving it to work to everyday. :y

Viper98912 07-30-2013 09:43 PM

You're in the Atlanta area? I'd love to come check out your black one day

Chappy 07-30-2013 11:13 PM

You're in the Atlanta area? I'd love to come check out your black one day[/QUOTE]

Sign up for the AMG Private Lounge gathering a Road Atlanta on August 31st....probably see several Black Series AMGs there.

Register for free here:

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...981#post956981

Viper98912 07-31-2013 08:44 PM

Yup I did see that posted on PL; I don't know if I was going to be able to go but I think I'm gonna be able to

alexander stemer 08-02-2013 07:29 PM

I've had my car on the track a bunch of times. Now, right at 49,000 miles, and no reliability problems. On track, it runs cool, brakes are fine, seats are great. I leave the trans in "S", and it seems to know what I want.
p.s.- you will get a lesson in "turn-in oversteer"
AS

Jim Brady 09-18-2013 10:21 PM

I drove my car from the AMG showroom in Affalterbach to the Sachenring for three track days with AMG. The car was designed for the track and warranteed unlike porsche and BMW.
The car was designed to be tracked. It's pretty bullet proof.
Be careful of aftermarket tunes as they can cause the car to go into limp mode on high speed corners.

sprins 09-19-2013 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady (Post 5784234)
Be careful of aftermarket tunes as they can cause the car to go into limp mode on high speed corners.

Jim,

Could you elaborate upon this? Thanks.

Jim Brady 09-24-2013 12:14 AM

Sprins,
We found on more than a number of tuned cars that would go into limp mode when driven on the track through high speed corners. It seems that the ecu tuning had some impact on the rear yaw sensor as there are many parameters that the ecu didn't like. Since most tuners don't track test their product it doesn't show up till track day.
It usually takes about a 1G+ at over 100 mph to duplicate the failure, so many owners may never know they have a defect.

sprins 09-25-2013 10:15 AM

Thanks Jim for the explanation. Does the reason for the limp mode then show up clearly in Star Diagnose? Or was it deduction that lead to the tunes?

The reason I ask is my BS (the transmission at least) went into limp mode for a short time a couple of times during a rough "hill climb" session in the Alps the other day. It occurred three times or so, going upwards steeply in second gear, and I suspected trans-oil-temp (or level) to be the reason (motor oil temp went up to 130ºC (266ºF), transmission oil temp and other values must still be diagnosed).

I don't think the limp mode you speak of is related, but you never know.

Viper98912 10-05-2013 01:53 PM

Back to the headbolt potential; I haven't really read much feedback about those on here? Is it possible they used something different?

NewShockerGuy 09-28-2016 11:42 PM

How catastrophic is the head bolt issue? I assume that we don't see a lot of it here only because of so few cars were made, this fewer inquiries... But still I have read that it can be a very costly and or expensive fix proactively? Does Mercedes recognize this as a problem that they will fix?

-Nigel

Viper98912 12-04-2016 07:03 PM

Definitely brought back an old thread...

Also makes me wonder (since I started this thread over three years ago)....

What was I thinking about when I first posted this? :word:

johnstahhh 12-11-2018 06:59 PM

*removed* posted wrong thread. Sorry

Viper98912 12-13-2018 08:42 PM

Lol 5+ year throwback now!!! Thanks John.

I never did buy that CLK BS...probably would have been a wise choice...

borgreko 12-16-2018 12:20 PM

I do track my car on some events, the car is a lot of fun to drive on the track, I drive the car on track for fun and not to win any trophies or to go home with a wrecked car, the car is very reliable and capable, I know who to challenge on the track because I know what I have and trying to get more out of what the car is capable its going to get you in trouble, the headbolt issue for me its no factor because too many of this engines are still running with 100k plus miles with no problems and if it happens I know how to fix it myself, if you are going to buy one of this car to loose sleep over headbolts breaking dont buy a sports car at all because one way or the other this cars are high performance cars and not a 100% bullet proof and depending on a dealer or some independant shop for repairs can be very expensive.
On the road this have a sport tuned suspension so the ride according to road conditions can be hard at times but not unbearable, I have 57k on my and so far nothing major.

Blk63bk 07-14-2022 11:41 AM

Came across this thread recently. I've tracked mine a few times now and will be going in 2 weeks again. Overall very reliable but you should take steps while you track the car. The car is relatively heavy and puts out a lot of heat. Make it a habit to take a cool down lap even if that means you lose one lap a session. Hot days - bring a canopy if you don't have access to paddocks; open your hood to help dissipate heat. Can not stress enough how important fluids are. Fresh fluid is cheap insurance, especially if you DIY. There are many resources across the web that you can apply to any car for track days.

Headbolts can go at any time. I did mine prior to any track racing and they were showing wear at 60k miles. As Borgreko said, don't buy a car to loose sleep over it. Some parts are expensive, some are not. Enjoy the car.