CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK 63 Black or SLS or GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yugo Zastava
CLK 63 Black or SLS or GTS

Good morning

I am in the market for one of the three above, I would appreciate any comments from people who have driven/owned the three to help me in my selection process. I realize the SLS and GTS are GTs while the 63 is a different sort of animal, I also realize that generationally as well as price point wise they are different, however I was always a fan of the 63 but am wondering if it measures up to the newer chassis, power plants and transmission shift reaction time.

Curious - thank you all much in advance,

SB
SF, CA
Old 03-23-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
Haven driven all three cars, I would say you definitely can feel the improvements over the years in the chassis starting from the CLK to SLS to GTS.

The GTS I found the easiest to drive, great feedback, balanced, responsive and more crisp in nearly every way over the SLS and CLK.

The SLS I found to feel more planted on the road than both (GTS and CLK). The SLS is overall an amazing experience but takes a lot of concentration to properly drive which over time diminishes the driving experience for me. The GTS 'fixed or reduced' the little nuances that bothered me in the SLS; A-pillar visibility and other blind spots, gull-wing doors are awesome but can get tiring over time, and first trans-axle double clutch application in the SLS was revamped in the GTS.

The CLK doesn't really compare, IMHO, as it is a totally different platform. The CLK is more raw and kind of cumbersome at times, taller, heavier, older technology (MCT vs. DCT) and feels more 'real' if that makes sense. I refer to the CLK as the modern day muscle car.

As Jeremy Clarkson said (I'm paraphrasing), its not the fastest nor the best handling, its how the overall driving experience makes you feel. So, it depends on what experience you are looking for? Other things to consider is rarity, price range, and what best fits your style and requirements. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head... Good luck with a selection!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:15 PM

Yugo Zastava
Hi Moflo, very useful ! Thank you for taking the time to write, I appreciate it ...
Old 03-23-2017, 06:24 PM

Yugo Zastava
btw, I'm a sucker for 90s and early to mid 00s German equipment, I think all car makers went a bit overboard after those years by adding many of the things that make the machines mundane, or synthesized, while removing many of the things that make the machines, machines... too digital, not enough analog... I did drive the GTS and it's superb but yet felt a bit synthetic to me... amazing for what it is, and drop dead gorgeous... incredible chassis geometry... very impressive, but it lacks uniqueness in a way... more like it was designed by a marketing department rather than die hard gear heads... probably a bit less so for the SLS (which I have not driven) and for sure not at all for the 63 black (which I also have not driven) ... I have to admit that I am drawn to the uniqueness of craft and somehow the black seems more in that category... looking to drive one this weekend, we will see
Old 03-25-2017, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Post the same question in the respective forums and let us know what they say.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:50 PM

Yugo Zastava
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
Post the same question in the respective forums and let us know what they say.
Good 'ol confirmation bias at work I guess
Old 03-26-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
CLK63 Black
The transmission in the CLK Black was a major bumout for me . Other than that the car is a masterpiece, but good lord the shifts are excruciatingly slow compared to just about anything else out there.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:39 PM

Yugo Zastava
Originally Posted by Ron Olson
The transmission in the CLK Black was a major bumout for me . Other than that the car is a masterpiece, but good lord the shifts are excruciatingly slow compared to just about anything else out there.
Hi Ron, thank you for the comments

just got back from driving my first 63 black... loved it... it has all the things I had always associated with AMGs as missing i.e. fantastic chassis and wonderful turn-in geometry... in addition to that incredible sound note...

great driving position, best seats in the business... I also found the shifts to be slow, more like driving a regular manual car and shifting slowly... overall a gem... I'm going to get one...
Old 03-26-2017, 11:12 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Glad you decided to get one! The Rev match mod will help the shifts however still wont be as fast as the GTS shifting (or anything else out there today).
Old 03-26-2017, 11:39 PM

Yugo Zastava
Originally Posted by MOFLO
Glad you decided to get one! The Rev match mod will help the shifts however still wont be as fast as the GTS shifting (or anything else out there today).
pleas tell me more about that - what that is / how to get it... thank you
Old 03-26-2017, 11:47 PM

Yugo Zastava
I'assuming it's some kind of blip feature that approximates heel and toe ?... is this something you get flashed ?
Old 03-27-2017, 05:10 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Yes, during downshift the motor revs up to match the lower gear, same as heel/toe. Rev match didn't come out on the AMG C-chassis until 2009/10, i believe. Being the CLKBS is 2007/8, folks have adapted the new programing to work on the CLKBS ECU/TCU. There are several posts in this CLK form area on who can do this rev match "blip" mod depending on the area you live in. Hope that helps!

Last edited by MOFLO; 03-27-2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-27-2017, 05:56 PM

Yugo Zastava
Yes, during downshift the motor revs up to match the lower gear, same as heel/toe. Rev match didn't come out on the AMG C-chassis until 2009/10, i believe. Being the CLKBS is 2007/8, folks have adapted the new programing to work on the CLKBS ECU/TCU. There are several posts in this CLK form area on who can do this rev match "blip" mod depending on the area you live in. Hope that helps!
thank you - very helpful

will send pics once I get my hands on the new equipment
Old 06-01-2017, 06:17 PM

Yugo Zastava
decided to go for a GTS or GTR
Old 06-02-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
CLK63 Black
I got rid of my CLK63 BS a few months ago and just recently picked up a C63 BS. Huge difference! The C63 is such a better car in so many ways. Transmission is the biggest single improvement, but everything else is just a little better as well. Similar ride quality but a little better. Easier to get in and out of . Media is light years better. Phone, stereo, bluetooth etc. Plus it has an insane control panel that lets you monitor almost anything on a nice screen, including 0-60, and 1/4 mile times. Different tracks/ times etc. Brakes seem a little better too. (not that there was anything wrong with the CLKs).
Anyway, just a better driving experience to me, and with the aero package its just a mean looking machine. I was kinda unimpressed with the C63 in pics, but when I saw my car in person I just had to have it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1496413444
Attached Thumbnails CLK 63 Black or SLS or GTS-20170512_102430.jpg   CLK 63 Black or SLS or GTS-20170506_153939-1-.jpg  
Old 06-02-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
That's what I figured. Wasn't initially a fan, but the C63 styling (especially in black) grew on me after a while. And yeah, they do represent better in person. I considered getting one after I sold my CLK63 BS for all the reasons you stated but I ended up buying another CLK63 BS instead.

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
I got rid of my CLK63 BS a few months ago and just recently picked up a C63 BS. Huge difference! The C63 is such a better car in so many ways. Transmission is the biggest single improvement, but everything else is just a little better as well. Similar ride quality but a little better. Easier to get in and out of . Media is light years better. Phone, stereo, bluetooth etc. Plus it has an insane control panel that lets you monitor almost anything on a nice screen, including 0-60, and 1/4 mile times. Different tracks/ times etc. Brakes seem a little better too. (not that there was anything wrong with the CLKs).
Anyway, just a better driving experience to me, and with the aero package its just a mean looking machine. I was kinda unimpressed with the C63 in pics, but when I saw my car in person I just had to have it.