CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Aftermarket Seats - How To Get Rid of SRS Lights/Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cars
Aftermarket Seats - How To Get Rid of SRS Lights/Issues

I'm looking at a set of seats for the CLK63 and am wondering if someone with experience getting rid of the SRS lights could post about what's needed to be done. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-14-2018, 07:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
First you have to determine why the SRS light is on--------you do that by using MB diagnostic equipment----then most folks will fix the fault not change seats,however I have seen dumber suggestions!
Old 03-15-2018, 12:01 AM

Cars
My question was related to putting in aftermarket seats so that would be the cause. The fix being a resistor, clearing using equipment, whatever.

Asking to find how those who have put aftermarket seats in their CLK63 have gotten around the SRS lights.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
It's a fair question. You'll need to incorporate a seat occupancy sensor into the new aftermarket passenger seat and have it wired in. Alternatively, there are companies that sell occupancy emulators which default to having a passenger on board. Do some searches. It's been covered. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:27 PM

Cars
Originally Posted by NYC_Z06
It's a fair question. You'll need to incorporate a seat occupancy sensor into the new aftermarket passenger seat and have it wired in. Alternatively, there are companies that sell occupancy emulators which default to having a passenger on board. Do some searches. It's been covered. Good luck.
I promise I've done searching. Your post in the other thread is exactly what I found about mounting. I need the Planted brackets with non-tabbed Recaro sliders. Now just trying to figure out the piece of occupancy emulators, resistors, etc. I promise I looked in every thread I could find that might be related and wasn't able to find specifics.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:51 PM

Cars
Your post helped me search though and it looks like installing this would solve for any warning light issues: http://airbag360.com/mercedes-clk-fr...only-413-p.asp
Old 03-15-2018, 04:59 PM

CLK63 BS
Recent post from someone who installed CS's on a BMW 135i.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1416041
I'll ask my mechanics if an MB sensor can be purchased separately.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:19 PM

Cars
Thanks. I don't have a huge problem installing the bypass since it means that an airbag will go off on the passenger side if accident. I won't be putting kids in the car anyway. Really appreciate your help!
Old 03-16-2018, 11:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK BS
Ro Ja Boy, I'm at the same place as you, trying to replace factory seats with some HANS compatible racing buckets and harnesses. My race shop did some digging around but this is very hard to do on US cars. Even though airbag360 may solve the passenger side airbag issue, the bigger problem is the door airbags, which Euro spec cars don't have. All airbags are linked together through CAN bus, and they are linked to the seats. Overall conclusion from Weistec and Renntech was that you either keep it all OEM or you disable them all. Not much of a compromise in the middle. The only other solution I can think of is to get Euro-spec ECUs, but that has its own problems too.

If you can find a way to keep both driver and passenger's airbags working AND disable the door airbags at the same time, please let us know. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:43 AM

Cars
Why do you want to disable the door airbags in the process?
Old 03-17-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK BS
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy
Why do you want to disable the door airbags in the process?
I don't want to, but I believe the door airbags are connected to the seats. In fact, that's the only reason why Americans got these particular seats, rather than the Euro Spec Recaros. So when you move out the OEM seats, the door airbags' connections will be disabled. Which then lead to airbag warning light on the dash, which then disable all airbags. That's why it's "all or nothing" with the US spec cars. And it's not as easy as put in an in-line resistor to trick the airbag system, at least that's what I was told.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:36 AM

Cars
Originally Posted by GeoGeo
I don't want to, but I believe the door airbags are connected to the seats. In fact, that's the only reason why Americans got these particular seats, rather than the Euro Spec Recaros. So when you move out the OEM seats, the door airbags' connections will be disabled. Which then lead to airbag warning light on the dash, which then disable all airbags. That's why it's "all or nothing" with the US spec cars. And it's not as easy as put in an in-line resistor to trick the airbag system, at least that's what I was told.
I'm okay with all...I'm not okay with nothing.

Hopefully someone can chime in with aftermarket seats already installed
Old 03-19-2018, 01:42 PM

CLK63 BS
Sensors are available for separate purchase. I don't know for sure, but it would make sense that if you're new set up consists of an occupant sensor and your keeping the seat belt receptors connected as well, there would be no SRS warning nor would the aribags in the doors be disabled. You'd need to purchase new receptors if you don't remove the ones from the stock seats. I don't have any airbags in my car and I clear the SRS warning every time I start my car so I cant tell you definitively that purchasing sensors separately and installing them in an aftermarket seat will work as I don't have any personal experience. Sorry.