CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK63 Black Series market....what is going on??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
CLK63 Black Series market....what is going on??

So, as a previous CLK63 Black Series owner who is looking at getting back into one again, I am confounded by the market even more now than when I sold mine barely 8 months ago.

It took me almost 6 months to sell my 30k mile car with all original paint, no accident history, all service records from Mercedes since new, $50k in name brand upgrades, all books and paperwork, and with literally nothing needing done when it left my possession. Every dealer in the world told me it was a $50k - $55k car, except one dealer in Chicago who offered me $60k and then backed out immediately when I told them we may be close, but he needed to come up a little bit (my impression from an online search about the dealer is that he really did not have the money and got spooked when he found out he may need to come up with it). Needless to say, I would rather leave it in my garage to gather dust than sell it for $55k or $60k to a dealer, so I held out for a proper home and someone who would care for it as much as I did.

Where I am confounded is that I have seen a few cars over the last few months that have over 40k miles, spotty documentation (if any) and asking prices for them of $72k - $79k (which is WAAAY more than I sold my 30k mile car for). Then I see a 14k mile car at no sale for $74k, and others listed well into the $90k range. What in the world is going on?? Of course when dealers / individuals have them, they are "collector cars with values skyrocketing", but when you have to sell one, the same dealers / individuals say they are "cars with no market....you are lucky to get in the $50k range for one".

Thoughts?

Last edited by Meeyatch1; 05-08-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
you car sold because it was priced right. Most cars for sale right now have been sittin for quite awhile. The one for sale here has been listed for about a year. The one in Anaheim has been listed for about a year. The lowest priced cars have sold....even the lowest priced car i mentioned was listed for almost 6 months.

Ive been watching for about a year off and on......inventory is higher in the winter and lower in the spring/summer. It might be the usual cycle.

Last edited by Doctodd33; 05-09-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cars
They were such a limited production that the market can change quickly. Assuming there are a couple handfuls of them for sale at any given time, the "market" is whatever those are being sold for (and assumes there are some actual transactions).

Doctodd is a current prospective buyer, so his feedback is one that probably will be similar to your comments about dealers...right now the market is soft and once he buys, it's a collector car. :P

I purchased a month ago as we discussed and my months of looking I saw $60k as the bottom for a decent car. There is a red one that has a sketchy title in the low $50s. Other than that, the one Doctodd posted I hadn't seen and so my assumption is it sold really quickly or sold below what others have sold for.

My perception is that a good CLK is worth $60k and goes up from there based on mileage. As you know, a car with mods takes the right buyer, so that likely made your market for selling the car small.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy
They were such a limited production that the market can change quickly. Assuming there are a couple handfuls of them for sale at any given time, the "market" is whatever those are being sold for (and assumes there are some actual transactions).

Doctodd is a current prospective buyer, so his feedback is one that probably will be similar to your comments about dealers...right now the market is soft and once he buys, it's a collector car. :P

I purchased a month ago as we discussed and my months of looking I saw $60k as the bottom for a decent car. There is a red one that has a sketchy title in the low $50s. Other than that, the one Doctodd posted I hadn't seen and so my assumption is it sold really quickly or sold below what others have sold for.

My perception is that a good CLK is worth $60k and goes up from there based on mileage. As you know, a car with mods takes the right buyer, so that likely made your market for selling the car small.
I posted their number so anyone can call and ask. I like them cuz I’m nostalgic.

Last edited by Doctodd33; 05-09-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:16 PM

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
2008 Mercedes CLK 63 AMG Black Series.
I bought mine one year ago for 53k, the car wasn't a garage queen, it had 54k miles and its 100% stock and original with excellent service record, this cars are still young in the collectible market, many of this cars are still floating around the dealers and flippers market, once the cars settle in collectors hands you will see the value change, its hard to predict the ceiling but with only 350 in the U.S. only time will tell, this cars take a lot of criticism from people that somehow call themselves experts by comparing this car to modern cars with far more driving assistance, I have a decent amount of track time on other cars and this is a true drivers car where your skills are put to the test.
Personally I prefer cars with average miles this usually don't suffer from the problems that low miles cars have. I bought mine to drive it not to look at it.
Good luck.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
I appreciate the feedback. The 14k mile car in New York really intrigues me. It is at $74k now, but I am not sure what to offer them, or if I am missing something with this one. To me, $68k seems like a fair number. Do you think that is lowballing, or about right? I am really thrown off on these values, and want to make a fair offer. It is either get another Black Series, or get an R8 and just drive that all year long.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 127 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
I appreciate the feedback. The 14k mile car in New York really intrigues me. It is at $74k now, but I am not sure what to offer them, or if I am missing something with this one. To me, $68k seems like a fair number. Do you think that is lowballing, or about right? I am really thrown off on these values, and want to make a fair offer. It is either get another Black Series, or get an R8 and just drive that all year long.

You know more about this car than I do

but I would guess since summer is here

that the price is $74k -

I do not think you are off on the $68k -

You can't be treated any worse than you

you were by Park Place -

Thank-You
D.B.

Last edited by COOPERDB; 06-21-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, CLK 63 Black series, CLS63 AMG shooting brake
Just give it a try... the worst that can happen is that they say 'no'.
Btw, you can't compare a R8 with a BS... The BS is no bull****, all business but remember, the BS is 10 years old so the 'technology' too but other than that, it's such a BLAST! You really need to drive it on curvy roads or the track to understand what I mean. It's a magnificent machine!
Old 06-21-2018, 09:51 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
At $74K, they'd need receipts demonstrating that the headbolts were replaced by a competent mechanic. Also, add a mileage multiplier to any car that was regularly driven in the 5 boroughs, including Brooklyn, where its currently being sold. IMO, better off buying a higher mileage car w/a clean PPI but no headbolt repair and doing it upon purchase. You'll save money and have peace of mind.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:34 AM

Hello
This cars as you follow the market are going to be trending upwards in value, the numbers don’t lie only 350 were built for the U.S. and a few are already modified or destroyed, look at other models that have change their status thru the years, example Acura NSX, Porsche 911’s, Toyota Supra’s etc.
The headbolt issue its something that its highly debatable because failure rates don’t show up on the majority of the Mercedes vehicles using the M156 engines, if anything the camshaft problem its more defined, and to me thats more of a lack of usage, its always a posibility that you buy a car and a few weeks later one shows up on the internet for less money, but for now no one knows how the market will react to the availability this cars.
I did not buy mine thinking of return on investment, bought it to plain and simple “drive”.
Good luck.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
borgreko........

How many miles are on yours? I was in Puerto Rico 2 years ago and I saw a black in color BS there.....I wonder how many CLK BS' are in Puerto Rico.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mathi
Just give it a try... the worst that can happen is that they say 'no'.
Btw, you can't compare a R8 with a BS... The BS is no bull****, all business but remember, the BS is 10 years old so the 'technology' too but other than that, it's such a BLAST! You really need to drive it on curvy roads or the track to understand what I mean. It's a magnificent machine!
I know. I owned a CLK63 Black Series for over 2 years. So I fully understand what you mean, and what it is. I am wrestling with the idea on if I should go with a 'new experience' with the R8, or back to the 'crack pipe' of Black Series ownership.

The other thing is that with the R8 I would not care about driving it in the snow or other crappy weather days. That would not happen with the Black Series. They do not like snow. LOL!

Last edited by Meeyatch1; 06-22-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:25 PM

We have 3 CLK 63 Black series one white, black and silver, so the black one you saw its mine........
If you already had a B.S and you got out of it, think about it its like breaking up with someone and trying for a second time.....most likely its not going to work out, I recomend going for something new and the R8 its a really good choice.
I do all work on my black, currently at 57k no problems and when they come its an easy car to work.
I prefer cars with normal usage garage queens always turn me away, I learned my lesson being a previous Porsche owner.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:35 PM

I used to live in Spring hill before moving to PR, I had a 1994 911 turbo back then.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63 BS
If any one is interested, I'm looking to sell mine. Silver, 5 owners overall, I've had it 3 years 8 months, DD it for a year before having kids, now I barely drive it.

79650 miles, all stock, no tune, no mechanical mods. Great car, never planned on selling it, but I just cant justify having it take up garage space.

PM me for details, open to offers (i'm realistic when it comes to value).
Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am pretty torn now. Low mileage is my preference, due to the fact that I want to be the one putting the miles on the car, and also because I am fanatical about seat bolster wear. But now I am wondering if a well documented car with some mileage might make sense just because I can buy it for significantly less, and then do a lot of cosmetic freshening up to my tastes, and not feel as bad if the car gets rained on or dirty?
Old 07-13-2018, 11:21 AM
PJK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63BS
Talking

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
I am pretty torn now. Low mileage is my preference, due to the fact that I want to be the one putting the miles on the car, and also because I am fanatical about seat bolster wear. But now I am wondering if a well documented car with some mileage might make sense just because I can buy it for significantly less, and then do a lot of cosmetic freshening up to my tastes, and not feel as bad if the car gets rained on or dirty?
Depends on what you want to do with the car. I've had two CLKBS. I bought my current one with around 20K miles and now have over 83K miles over 6 years. I don't plan to sell it, and I can honestly say that I've probably enjoyed my cars more then 90% of owners (at least with respect to the owners that put an emphasis on driving the car rather than looking at it). They are fundamentally solid cars... no reason to worry about mileage IMO from a maintenance perspective (other than tires which don't last very long they way I drive ). Resale... well that's an entirely different concern (which isn't relevant to me anymore). From a purely financial perspective, I would have been better buying a car with more miles on it since I put some many miles on it anyways, but I had a track record of only keeping cars 1-2 years, so I bought a lower mileage car.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
there are alot (about 20) cars on the market right now....and summer is supposed to be peak selling season, but they arent moving. The white one with 50k miles sold for low $50's....private seller. The silver one in the classifieds here sold after a year....not sure of the price.

Last edited by Doctodd33; 07-16-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:26 PM

Cars
Have mine up for sale...have only posted to eBay, but will post in a couple months more locations: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Merced...5bGBMs&vxp=mtr
Old 07-18-2018, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have mine up for sale...have only posted to eBay, but will post in a couple months more locations: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Mercedes-Benz-CLK-Class-CLK63-Black-Series/142864523634?hash=item214363a172:g:GF8AAOSwf05bGBM s&vxp=mtr
Yes, I saw yours. Very nice car. I would have bid on it, but knowing what I went through trying to get a decent price out of my 30K mile car with $50k in upgrades, all original paint, and all documentation from the dealer since new, I could not justify almost $69k for a 42k mile car with a previous collision. The market on this car is just too nuts for me personally to jump in at that price, especially for cars with over 30k miles and previous collision damage and paint work. I honestly hope you get that much for it, but from my experience, you may be in for a loooong wait.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:35 PM

Cars
We shall see. Previous collision was a front bumper replacement, so minor work. The car drives perfectly (drove it two weeks ago in 113 degree heat) and will hang onto it until the right person comes along.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
We shall see. Previous collision was a front bumper replacement, so minor work. The car drives perfectly (drove it two weeks ago in 113 degree heat) and will hang onto it until the right person comes along.
Saw it. Very nice. W/the exception of the back seat, I think the mods and miles are in the sweet spot for someone who wants to enjoy the car, not put it in a garage or save it for the next owner. In fact, there appear to be several nice examples out there. Just not enough buyers and lots of competition for the $60K-$75K fun car niche (981 Cayman/Boxster GTS, 997 Turbo, R8's, Z06, GT-R).

GLWS.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
looks like the silver car with only 600 miles was lowered multiple times and recently dropped to $102k. Kinda fun to watch and document a "diary" of sales. I wont be buying anything until maybe winter.

correction.....silver car with 600 miles not sold.....now listed at 99K

Last edited by Doctodd33; 08-08-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:47 AM

Cars
Originally Posted by NYC_Z06
Saw it. Very nice. W/the exception of the back seat, I think the mods and miles are in the sweet spot for someone who wants to enjoy the car, not put it in a garage or save it for the next owner. In fact, there appear to be several nice examples out there. Just not enough buyers and lots of competition for the $60K-$75K fun car niche (981 Cayman/Boxster GTS, 997 Turbo, R8's, Z06, GT-R).

GLWS.
The back seat appealed to me with a young kid and the idea of bringing him in it to Cars & Coffee. I have the rear seat delete. :thumbup:
Old 07-19-2018, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
silver car with 600 miles not sold....now listed for 99K

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK63 Black Series market....what is going on??