CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Evosport ECU Tune Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 BS
Evosport ECU Tune Question

Hi all,

I recently bought a CLK63 BS with Evosport longtube headers and ECU tune. According to the dealer the tune can toggle between 91 and 93 octane fuel maps. But they had no idea how the tune works. I'm in CA and have no access to 93 fuel. I'm trying to make sure the car is running the 91 map. Since Evosport is no longer in business, I have not found any info on how to toggle the tune. Does anyone have the same tune for their BS? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by clk63; 09-21-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Originally Posted by clk63
Hi all,

I recently bought a CLK63 BS with Evosport longtube headers and ECU tune. According to the dealer the tune can toggle between 91 and 93 octane fuel maps. But they had no idea how the tune works. I'm in CA and have no access to 93 fuel. I'm trying to make sure the car is running the 91 map. Since Evosport is no longer in business, I have not found any info on how to toggle the tune. Does anyone have the same tune for their BS? Your input will be greatly appreciated.
I am not sure if their information is accurate. I had an Evosport tune on my Black Series and I do not recall it toggling at all. Which is part of why I replaced it with a RennTech tune that allowed more flexibility, and was honestly a lot better.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 BS
Thanks for the information. This is very helpful!

After a couple of hundred miles of driving some emission related CEL code popped up, all of which had to do with O2 sensors due to Evo catless headers. Oddly enough after refueling with 91 octane the CEL went away. I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe the tune deals with catless exhaust better with 91 octane? Any insight?

Could you please elaborate the advantages of RennTech tune over Evosport?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2018, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)

After a couple of hundred miles of driving some emission related CEL code popped up, all of which had to do with O2 sensors due to Evo catless headers. Oddly enough after refueling with 91 octane the CEL went away. I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe the tune deals with catless exhaust better with 91 octane? Any insight?

Thanks!
Ahhh, yes. The CEL. I had those with my Evosport tune. My car also had the Evosport headers and exhaust, but they tried to add in cats to my car after the fact because the person who had it before I did lived in a state with emissions testing. Needless to say, I spent a small fortune (literally almost $8,000) trying to fix that because the codes kept coming back as O2 sensors and other emissions codes. I ended up going with RennTech because they quite simply know more about modifying Mercedes than anyone else in the country. Simple as that. They have been doing it for so long that they know their stuff, and (unlike companies like Evosport) I know they will still be in business in a year or more to support their product. So I paid to get the RennTech ECU tune and the car ran soooo much better, and I only ever got a CEL once after having that done. Also, the RennTech tune eliminated the "running rich" smell that I would get with the Evosport tune.

I will have another CLK Black Series. I honestly should never have sold my previous one, but I simply had too many cars and not enough garage space at the time. When I get another, I will use RennTech. They are expensive, but quality costs money. Plus, having spent a small fortune trying to get people to fix the fly-by-night vendor's crap, I am not making that mistake twice.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS

Thanks!
Advantage to Renntech is that Evosport is not in business.....

Weistec compared to Rentech....look at what they offer and you will come to your own conclusions...