My E-Class flirting with a CLS (Pics) [CLS Forum version]

Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
My E-Class flirting with a CLS (Pics) [CLS Forum version]

Posted these on the E Forum but looks like the CLS Forum could use some extra juice and I'm bored.

Gotta admit I've been on the fence toward the new CLS, namely due to the lines that my eyes have problems making sense of (dropping line namely), but when you catch that baby at some of the right angles, it really can move you.

To me they look like Bro and Sis hanging out. I like the way they compliment each other together a lot with the similarities yet differences. Interesting notes, the CLS has much larger wheel gap and aside from its lower roof, sits a lot higher than the E (one reason why though you wouldn't expect, the E has much better aerodynamics).

Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 E550, 05 NSX, 12 QX56, 93 Z32 TT, 12 CLS550
Thanks for pics. Your car still looks amazing.
I miss my E, but loving the CLS.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks again my friend! I'll bet you're lovin' that beast indeed!

Saw a Diamond White CLS cruising alongside me today, and I was just staring at it and admiring that front 3/4 low angle, i.e looking at it from your side-view mirror when it's in the lane next to you and a car or two back. That is a money shot.

I really do love the E, but not gonna lie, my 6'4" height which renders me unable to comfortably fit in the front forces some jealous feelings when I see it like I did today.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:08 AM

2018 GLE63S Coupe , 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2000 TRD PreRunner (heavily modded)
That CLS looks like its in it's raised mode to me... I got less than a 2 finger gap in sport.
That being said... You're going to bite eventually. And the more I look at your car the more I think about how close I was to buying that E550.
Did you try screwing around with the seats any more?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Hmm, yeah that'd be interesting to know. It seemed so high, I didn't take that into consideration.

I really like the idea of having a car with the same dimensions and blood as the E to upgrade to for a slight premium to get some more "rarity factor", since as happy as I am with the E on a level of design and functionality, the only "drawback" IMO is how relatively common they are. I mean, a $50+K car being so popular is only a great testament to it, but all things considered, it'd be nice if I could have the design more "to myself". Though, with the little mods I've done commonality isn't as much an issue anymore I guess.

I don't know whether to be happy or bummed that my height isn't accommodated by the CLS, but yeah, I've tried all seat positions. The only one that works is a faar "gangsta lean" back, which obviously wouldn't be comfortable on anything more than a short trip. Not to mention, safety hazards for my head.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:06 AM

GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
Both cars look awesome, i love the tint in the E tail lights, maybe thinking about doing that to my GLK.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
dont like the arm on the cls side mirros, should be like the E's
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by N91K
Both cars look awesome, i love the tint in the E tail lights, maybe thinking about doing that to my GLK.
Thanks. Yeah I love them both together. They seriously compliment each other so well! I'm really impressed with how dynamic the E's design is for such a conservative nature (4-Door Midsize Sedan) as IMO it really holds its own when next to far more unconventional and expressively-natured designs.

Originally Posted by vdubpower
dont like the arm on the cls side mirros, should be like the E's
Yeah, can't stand that. Apparently the reason that they're like that is because of new regulation laws for blind spots, and the CLS having such a small windowhouse forced M-B to put the mirrors on the doors.

So I stopped and sat in another CLS today when I went to check out some 2013 changes to the E-Class line.... and MAN am I not exaggerating about the limited headroom for me and my apparently extreme torso from the CLS. The CLS has a full 1" less headroom than the E, but it feels like a foot less.

I tried rolling the seat back all the way, backrest down, steering wheel all the way toward me, etc. etc. I literally left the car with a headache 'cause my head was banging around everywhere while I was simulating normal movements. Really disappointed in M-B for that factor. Went to check out a 6-Series Gran Coupe after, and though they didn't have any in stock, it has the same headroom as the Coupe, which means that it has even MORE headroom than my E-Class.... believe that?!

Therefore, there pretty much aren't any M-B's for me in the right size and price range aside from the E, and if I had to move on from the E, it'd have to be a BMW if I were looking between the two. Sucks.

Last edited by K-A; 08-01-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 PM

2012 CLS550, sold 11 E350
K-A just bite the bullet like i did and get a CLS. You will have the time of your life driving a CLS. I loved my E, but im addicted to my CLS.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:16 AM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Nice pics!

I just went from an E "550" to the new CLS and as much as I loved the E, I am taken to the next level w/ the CLS. The fact that you have an E "350", which to me is underpowered, even for a 6, God knows how floored you will be w/ that TT V8!!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:29 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by davidbijan
K-A just bite the bullet like i did and get a CLS. You will have the time of your life driving a CLS. I loved my E, but im addicted to my CLS.
I can't! How much does that suck. I can't fit in the damn thing! I tried again yesterday and my head literally hurts from it banging around in that cramped roof.

I admit, I'm not totally convinced by the CLS's styling yet (I hated the W212 when it came out as well, for the record), BUT, as much as I love the E, and considering that I'm starting to get that "bug" to try something else (or get a second car and keep the E to pacify me), if my head could actually fit in the damn thing, I'd be doing some serious soul searching right now and considering stepping into one to try it out.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:19 PM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Originally Posted by K-A
I can't! How much does that suck. I can't fit in the damn thing! I tried again yesterday and my head literally hurts from it banging around in that cramped roof.

I admit, I'm not totally convinced by the CLS's styling yet (I hated the W212 when it came out as well, for the record), BUT, as much as I love the E, and considering that I'm starting to get that "bug" to try something else (or get a second car and keep the E to pacify me), if my head could actually fit in the damn thing, I'd be doing some serious soul searching right now and considering stepping into one to try it out.

HAHA, you must be a big ole boy! The E is a great car (I owned a 10' 550 for 3 yrs), so if you have to stay E, without question get a 550! You will not believe the difference and it will be a totally new car to you.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 PM

How tall are you. Im 6'2 and have no problem getting in and out with low seat settings. As far as bugs go, i know what you mean. Im headed to porsche this weekend to check out the panemera, or the simple boxster.

Last edited by davidbijan; 08-02-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
KA...GET THE DAMN CLS ALREADY. Get off the fence, you can fit in the car, lower the seats and hang on the fun rides of your life.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:24 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yep, it's official, I REALLY tried this time, and I can't fit in it. I'm 6'4 teetering on 6'5, and it seems like it's all torso. Something about the CLS's roofline and interior space an my exact dimensions make it so that it's literally the most cramped I've ever felt in any car that I've said in.

Yeah.... that damn "bug". It's always 2 years, once I have a car for that long, if I don't have a second car to mix in with it, I start wanting to get into something else. I couldn't be any happier with my E, but my "condition" makes it so that I either need a second car, or my eyes will wander.

David: I saw the new Boxster last night. Look SO much better than the first one. You can tell it's a "Boxster", but it looks..... "presentable" I guess you could say? Still really a really small car, which the pics don't show so well.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 PM

You are probably right it is probably too small for me as well. I have not seen one porsche, or a new CLS since i moved back to Missouri from SoCal. Thats why im headed to the stealership to check out the line up. These people down here love their trucks.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Lol, I bet about the trucks. Report back with your impression on the new 911 (991). I am absolutely in love with that ride. To be honest that's my #1 choice to move into if I decide to give up the E after the Lease. Too damn expensive though.