Resonator+muffler delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63s
Resonator+muffler delete

I'm thinking about removing my mufflers and resonators. At first I thought about resonators only, but didn't like the sound in any of the videos I was able to find. I came across this: http://youtu.be/DzLgrfjmJOU and I love it! What you guys think?
Old 04-28-2016, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls550
resonator removed today. it does not make much different. Let me know if you have both of them take off. Because I'm wandering if I Should take the muffler off as next Step. Thx
Old 04-30-2016, 12:12 AM

2015 E63s
Originally Posted by Din Huang
resonator removed today. it does not make much different. Let me know if you have both of them take off. Because I'm wandering if I Should take the muffler off as next Step. Thx
I did remove both and had mufflers installed back on after 10 min. Way too much drone for my taste. Sounded like a Chevy truck not Mercedes.

I like the sound without resonators. A little louder, deeper and sportier, but not too loud. No drone what so ever. Not noticeable when cruising. Maybe slightly.
The only thing that I'm not crazy about is a cold start sound, but it goes away in 5-10 sec, so I'm ok with that.
Overall great mod for cheap.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 111 Posts
E63s AMG
Originally Posted by mc061680
I did remove both and had mufflers installed back on after 10 min. Way too much drone for my taste. Sounded like a Chevy truck not Mercedes.

I like the sound without resonators. A little louder, deeper and sportier, but not too loud. No drone what so ever. Not noticeable when cruising. Maybe slightly.
The only thing that I'm not crazy about is a cold start sound, but it goes away in 5-10 sec, so I'm ok with that.
Overall great mod for cheap.
In most cases you are going from quiet to releasing the sound of a v8 beast and it will take a day or two to really appreciate the v8 sound. If you just deleted the muffler only and keep the resonator on may not be as loud vs deleting both. You hear the power and I love the loud burps it makes.

Last edited by Ed99; 06-05-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:37 AM

'13 CLS550, '17 Q7, '11 G550
I will have a set of Renntech mufflers (no tips, works with the cls550 floating tips) available next week if anyone is interested. Have had them on the car about 6 months with a x-pipe and will be swapping out for a full exhaust from speedriven.

In cases where you like the sound ex the resonator, but want a big deeper sound with no drone (above and beyond the oem mufflers) then the Renntech ones would be a good match!!! PM me if you are interested.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
OooOoOOhh ... you're gonna like it.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLS550
I deleted my resonator yesterday and I love it . It's unnoticeable when idling or cruising but once you start revving it the beast within comes out. Local shop charged me $60
Old 01-16-2018, 09:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS 550 Launch Edition, 2004 CLK 500, 2004 Honda Civic
Originally Posted by Taco_Kingpin
I deleted my resonator yesterday and I love it . It's unnoticeable when idling or cruising but once you start revving it the beast within comes out. Local shop charged me $60
would you happen to have a sound clip and a picture of the underside of you car? Sorry, far too many people are interchanging the words resonator, mufflers, cats, etc.

thank you!!
Old 01-24-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 CLS550 4Matic
Anyone have a video with sound of a resonator delete only?

In watching this video, the guy claims to have done a resonator delete, but before, there are two small cans and one long can mid-car, after, all three are gone. Are all three of those resonators?

I'm guessing the Cats are right at the front (bolted to the headers) for optimum heatup. So I guess these three cans in the middle of the chassis are resonators, but why 3?

Last edited by VirtualRain; 01-24-2018 at 02:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DUXmen (04-11-2019)
Old 02-17-2018, 03:14 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
No one? Are those small cans by the long resonator secondary cats?
Old 03-03-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Merc CLS550
Originally Posted by VirtualRain
No one? Are those small cans by the long resonator secondary cats?
I think this guy took off the secondary cats too--the resonator is the single can more in the middle of the exhaust piping that you see in the before -- then you see straight pipes in the after replacing the resonator but I also do not see the two small cans (secondary cats) anymore
VirtualRain (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 12:14 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by citizensane
I think this guy took off the secondary cats too--the resonator is the single can more in the middle of the exhaust piping that you see in the before -- then you see straight pipes in the after replacing the resonator but I also do not see the two small cans (secondary cats) anymore
Yeah, I agree. One of the problems I’m having assessing YouTube videos is that there’s a lot of confusion regarding what is a “resonator” in these cars.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 e550
I did resonator delete and it sounds great. I wouldn't want it to be any louder its just perfect. I was very very surprised that the tone changed that much, right now it sounds like amg car. I would not remove secondary cats for warranty purposes and also even if you remove them I don't think the sound will change much since they aren't designed to muffle the sound.
The following 2 users liked this post by scyrozyk23:
Goodwood (02-05-2023), VirtualRain (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by scyrozyk23
I did resonator delete and it sounds great. I wouldn't want it to be any louder its just perfect. I was very very surprised that the tone changed that much, right now it sounds like amg car. I would not remove secondary cats for warranty purposes and also even if you remove them I don't think the sound will change much since they aren't designed to muffle the sound.
Would be great if you posted a sound clip!
I'm installing the QTP valve exhaust soon and am debating if I should do it before or after the resonator...
Old 03-23-2018, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Sound clip with just mufflers deleted

Old 03-23-2018, 10:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2012 CLS 550 Launch Edition
Originally Posted by Clkboi
Sound clip with just mufflers deleted

https://youtu.be/AbWshos_L7o
That's with only the mufflers deleted?!
Old 03-24-2018, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by TNTim
That's with only the mufflers deleted?!
According to his Instagram yes, just chopped the mufflers off!
Insta handle: evilcls
Old 03-26-2018, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Clkboi
According to his Instagram yes, just chopped the mufflers off!
Insta handle: evilcls
There's a comment on there where he says he removed resonators, secondary cats and his mufflers. It does sound nice though
Old 03-26-2018, 10:13 AM

Merc CLS550
Originally Posted by TNTim
There's a comment on there where he says he removed resonators, secondary cats and his mufflers. It does sound nice though
It's hard to know exactly what was done--
At one point--the guy says he cut off the "bullet resonators"---there aren't any bullet resonators, there is only the center single resonator on this car--any "bullets" had to be the secondary cats
So--I'm not positive this guy knows what he actually did delete
BiturboSF (07-15-2019)
Old 03-26-2018, 10:16 AM

It's hard to know exactly what was done--
At one point--the guy says he cut off the "bullet resonators"---there aren't any bullet resonators, there is only the center single resonator on this car--any "bullets" had to be the secondary cats
So--I'm not positive this guy knows what he actually did delete
I can't see where he says he cut off the bullet resonators.

On one of the comments on his Instagram post he says:

"I removed the second set of cats the resonator and the mufflers"

View this post on Instagram
Old 03-26-2018, 11:11 AM

Merc CLS550
You have to scroll back and it may have been in another similar thread--where a photo was posted--showing the underside of the car.
Anyway
I did the resonator delete --replaced with straight pipes (all else OEM) about 6 months ago. I am not happy with it.
At idle and slow acceleration--it's fine--and I somewhat like it--HOWEVER--at full throttle--it sounds like I've got bad mufflers--it is way too obnoxious (loud) for my taste.
I did buy an X pipe but have never had it installed (to replace the straight pipes)--I have yet to find anyone to describe an X pipe sound vs straight pipes--I've heard it is the same--and I've heard it is quieter
I guess I'll have to just do it and find out for myself--its not that expensive
I think part of the problem on this car is that the sound proofing is not very good. There's virtually none between the back seats and the trunk--I have thought maybe I should add some to the trunk floor or even the backs of the fold down seats---but I think a lot of the sound is just coming through the windows/sheet metal. This doesn't seem like a well insulated car to me (exterior sound wise)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:29 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
You have to scroll back and it may have been in another similar thread--where a photo was posted--showing the underside of the car.
Anyway
I did the resonator delete --replaced with straight pipes (all else OEM) about 6 months ago. I am not happy with it.
At idle and slow acceleration--it's fine--and I somewhat like it--HOWEVER--at full throttle--it sounds like I've got bad mufflers--it is way too obnoxious (loud) for my taste.
I did buy an X pipe but have never had it installed (to replace the straight pipes)--I have yet to find anyone to describe an X pipe sound vs straight pipes--I've heard it is the same--and I've heard it is quieter
I guess I'll have to just do it and find out for myself--its not that expensive
I think part of the problem on this car is that the sound proofing is not very good. There's virtually none between the back seats and the trunk--I have thought maybe I should add some to the trunk floor or even the backs of the fold down seats---but I think a lot of the sound is just coming through the windows/sheet metal. This doesn't seem like a well insulated car to me (exterior sound wise)
i think you’re bang on about the poor insulation in these cars. This car has way more road noise than my 10 year old BMW M5 and about the same as my GF’s $15K Sentra.

Anyway, I’m surprised you’re surprised it’s loud at WOT. This seems contrary to most other opinions, which is that resonator delete is a nice but not obnoxious upgrade in sound. But of course everyone’s different. Can you record some videos in and outside the car?

From what I’ve read, people who replace the resonator with a cross pipe say it’s not much louder than stock and are left wanting more.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:35 PM

Merc CLS550
WOT (wide open throttle?)
when I jump it--it sounds like an obnoxious hot rod--as though it doesn't have any mufflers--not at all refined
I came out of an Audi S5--V8---whose sound was fantastic--a VERY great V8--with a terrific refined and solid exhaust note--it even whined at certain RPM-s . sounded like an airplane
I don't want to invest in an elaborate and expensive modification to get where I would like--so maybe i'll try the x pipe and just live with that--I have never really liked the straight pipes (despite trying to sell myself for months)
Old 12-08-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes CLS 550 4MATIC
Only resonator delete launch control
Attached Files
Old 12-08-2018, 12:25 PM

Merc CLS550
anyone know if the X pipe versus the straight pipes would quiet this down a bit?
A bit too hot roddish for my taste
Goodwood (02-05-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Resonator+muffler delete