Road noise abatement - revisited

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cls550
Unhappy Road noise abatement - revisited

Hi all,
I posted about the road noise back in Sep 2014 and was wondering if anyone has any further advice or tire recommendations. I had the opportunity to drive an S550 as a loaner - a slightly more elegant car than ours but the only thing I envy is the QUIET ride. I'd be willing to add almost any amount of soundproofing material or buy any tire to get rid of most of the road noise. Any ideas? I love my car but after driving the S for a week, the cabin noise difference is going to be jarring (no pun intended). I checked tire rack and from the reviews it seems Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ get the best marks for quiet - anybody riding on these got any input? FWIW I"m on OEM 19" rims.

Thanks for your help.
Scott
Old 03-30-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R350 & 2012 CLS550
DWS here

Scott,
Just as a touch-point and due to design, the CLS was not engineered to sound proof similar to an S-Class. The CLS lets in the engine noise just a bit more due to its sportier demeanor, the glass isn't as thick, and there's less sound deadening material used underneath and within the car. Translation - the CLS will never be as quiet as a current S-Class.

With that out of the way, I've been using the DWS 06 and had the earlier version of the tire on two previous rides. I specifically chose them over them AS3s,in part, due to cost relative to similar performance. As far as quiet is concerned, it wasn't part of my criteria but they seem good relative to other high-performance all-season tires I've experienced.

If quiet is your main goal, the only way to really achieve this via a tire is to use a much more conservative tread pattern and rubber compound as well as a lower speed rating (translates into less tire stiffness). Doing so will sacrifice a decent level of grip performance. A "touring" all-season tire (the DWS and AS3 are "high-performance" all-season) is what you want but I wouldn't recommend it for the CLS and would be surprised if they even produce them in OEM sizes.

Good luck!
Eric
The following users liked this post:
kaetamer (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by kaetamer
Hi all,
I posted about the road noise back in Sep 2014 and was wondering if anyone has any further advice or tire recommendations. I had the opportunity to drive an S550 as a loaner - a slightly more elegant car than ours but the only thing I envy is the QUIET ride. I'd be willing to add almost any amount of soundproofing material or buy any tire to get rid of most of the road noise. Any ideas? I love my car but after driving the S for a week, the cabin noise difference is going to be jarring (no pun intended). I checked tire rack and from the reviews it seems Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ get the best marks for quiet - anybody riding on these got any input? FWIW I"m on OEM 19" rims.

Thanks for your help.
Scott
I'm thinking of replacing my P Zero's with the Conti's as well. Check this out, you can put some dynamat in. Thinking about doing it myself after coming out of an E350 Sport. http://www.andysautosport.com/shopby...cls-class.html
The following users liked this post:
kaetamer (03-31-2017)