MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLS Coupe (C218) (https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe-c218-157/)
-   -   Uncomfortable seats? (https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe-c218/698867-uncomfortable-seats.html)

VirtualRain 02-17-2018 02:40 AM

Uncomfortable seats?

Hey, does anyone else have problems with the bottom seat cushion left side bolster causing a pain in the ass?

I've owned my car for a month and I just can't get comfortable... the left bolster seems incredibly hard, raised, and unforgiving. I'm not particularly wide or overweight... just an average 5'10" 200lb guy.

I've come across threads in other forums about seat comfort, and wondering if any other CLS owners have problems.

rumb 02-17-2018 09:35 AM

no.

have you tried adjusting the front bolster with the seat switch?

VirtualRain 02-17-2018 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by rumb (Post 7383326)
no.

have you tried adjusting the front bolster with the seat switch?

i have tried endless adjustments. There is no adjustment that moves the side bolster on the seat cushion. There are adjustments for theigh support, back side bolsters and lumbar, but none of these affect the seat cushion where your ass goes. :)

zrx 02-25-2018 03:43 PM

I have a 2014 CLS550 with the Active Multicontour seat. The seat bottom seems to be broken down or the sides of the seat bottom are too narrow. My thighs ride on top of the sides of the seat bottom, terribly uncomfortable. I've tried adjusting many times, can't figure it out. I've only put about 2000 miles on the car and going to sell it if I can't get this figured out!

Any thoughts?

Stens 03-03-2018 01:18 AM

When I was first looking into my next car c.2016, I ran across some reviews (sorry, didn’t save the links) that complained about the seat comfort. When my Audi finally finished its protracted death process, I looked again, and couldn’t find those reviews. I did really pay attention to the seat comfort on the test drive of my 2012 CLS, and I drove it a bit extra to be sure, because I was concerned about the seat comfort. Bottom line: the seats work well for me. That is, of course, irrelevant if they don’t work well for you.

The seats in the CLS seem to generate more complaints than some. Unfortunately, the best advice I have is to do a good, long test drive, and really pay attention to the seats. This is completely unhelpful to those who already own a car they find uncomfortable.

I wonder if these seats are designed for a narrower range of body shapes. I don’t know why MB would do that. You guys aren’t alone in having difficulty with seat comfort in the CLS.

Addendum: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...cls550-4matic/
link includes complaints about seat comfort in the 2014 CLS.

VirtualRain 03-03-2018 12:29 PM

I think the problem is the bottom cushion side bolsters are too stiff. They just aren’t as compliant and as a result they apply unnecessary pressure to the sides or bottom of your buttocks. I have a workable solution now that angles the front of the bottom cushion up so some weight is taken off my butt by my theighs but I would really dread having to drive 8hrs at a time in these seats. I’d probably have to get an old man seat cushion gel pad to get through a day of non-stop driving :(

If you look at any car that’s several years old, the sides of the bottom cushion are usually in the worst shape... deformed, deflated, wrinkled, etc. I wonder if Mercedes thought that adding stiffer foam or even metal frame elements to these bottom side bolsters would help them keep their shape over time. Whatever it is, I think it was a mistake.

A330PYLT 03-05-2018 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by VirtualRain (Post 7383242)
Hey, does anyone else have problems with the bottom seat cushion left side bolster causing a pain in the ass?

I've owned my car for a month and I just can't get comfortable... the left bolster seems incredibly hard, raised, and unforgiving. I'm not particularly wide or overweight... just an average 5'10" 200lb guy.

I've come across threads in other forums about seat comfort, and wondering if any other CLS owners have problems.

Well mine feel fine bro. We are close in size as im 5'10 and 180. I find my seats very cozy. Now thats not to say they could not be better but remember the W218 is really a bit of a sports car luxury yes but sports car none the less. My DD is a 2002 Lincoln Towncar and those seats are unmatched for comfort. Its a comfortable big highway car with air suspension and V8 pwr. I dorve it to Vegas from Norther Cali last yr and the ride is like floating on a cloud. Not tired when you arrive is what I am saying.
A330PYLT

OBP 03-05-2018 12:54 PM

2014 CLS550 with regular seats, no dynamic seat capabilities. Base sport leather. Been perfectly happy with my seats but then again, I am only 5' 7 and 168. They do hug me a little tighter than the seats in our 2015 GLK but I would expect that given the type of vehicle the CLS is.

nc211 06-20-2018 12:03 AM

Not sure if OP fixed this or not, but think the W212 is the same seat frame here.

Thought this might help. Go towards end where pictures are. Mine was horrible and found a way to fix it permanently. Used to be painful, now one of most comfortable for a couple hundred bucks. Has been perfect ever since (10,000 miles). When doing my research I kept seeing part numbers that suggested cross reference from the E class sedan (mine - 2014) to the cls as well.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...seat-pain.html

mschamberger 06-20-2018 09:45 AM

Put your wallet in your other pocket...

VirtualRain 06-20-2018 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by mschamberger (Post 7483522)
Put your wallet in your other pocket...

After buying a Mercedes, I no longer need a wallet... nothing to put in there. My pay checks get direct deposited to my local dealer :)

TNTim 06-21-2018 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by VirtualRain (Post 7483889)

After buying a Mercedes, I no longer need a wallet... nothing to put in there. My pay checks get direct deposited to my local dealer :)

Ha!