Exhaust - QTP Oval Cutouts...???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 11:57 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
Question Exhaust - QTP Oval Cutouts...???

I've been thinking to do something to the exhaust and make it a little louder. I believe the 4.7L engine has more potential in noise than it is given. I've thought about removing mufflers or resonators. Some advice for it and some against it and prefer I get a full new exhaust set-up, which can be a little expensive.

If anyone has mufflers/resonators or both removed and have videos to share, please do so. So I can see how loud it gets and find my sweet spot. Or If I would want to do that at all.

NOW, on to the QTP Oval Cutouts. Has anyone here have QTPs installed? I've listened to a video of a first-gen CLS 500. A friend of mine recommended me the QTP cutouts and I'm a little skeptical about them. Though it would be nice to open and close the valves based on how you want it to sound on certain occasions.

If anyone has more info/videos on it, please post it here. I'm trying to learn every method and see which would fit me best. I'm in no rush to get it done anytime soon, but I'd love to see the exhaust on this make some noise.

These are the two videos I've found on YouTube, closest to engine displacement of CLS.

This is 2014 E550, same engine.
It does have a nice sound to it on idle, but wish the person who posted it did some revving as well to see how it works.

This is the first gen CLS500

Old 12-01-2018, 12:00 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
WAITTTTT!!!! lol
Found another video of light revving the 2014 E550

Old 12-05-2018, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
i did it on mine and would say do not bother...

when i first did it i had my resonator in place. Absolutely no sound with the exhaust fully open.. Reason for this is that our turbos take most of the air so not much is actually going to the exhaust
Look at this thread for some more details:
https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...ml#post7434863

I removed my resonator and added an X pipe and voila got sound but its more of a mustang sound than anything else. If i open the cutouts fully the sound is just dumb but after playing with them for a while i have noticed keeping them half way open gives the best sound but still not that AMG and turbo whine i expected.

Overall for the money i think its ok but not the best solution.

I am getting a proper exhaust job done this Thursday. H pipe and Downpipes which will unleash the true sound.

If you want my QTP cutouts which have about 3000 miles on them for cheap (remote included) let me know id love to get rid of them. Im in the Massachusetts area
Old 12-06-2018, 02:33 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Hmmm, I've been told by a friend to get the QTP cutouts and my cousin refrains me from getting them. So I think i might sit this one out.

What other exhaust setups are good that aren't like 5k lol I'm looking to spend 1k maybe 1.5k max for exhaust. I've looked ay Fi and Meisterschaft...they go way up lol
Old 12-07-2018, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Roop94
Hmmm, I've been told by a friend to get the QTP cutouts and my cousin refrains me from getting them. So I think i might sit this one out.

What other exhaust setups are good that aren't like 5k lol I'm looking to spend 1k maybe 1.5k max for exhaust. I've looked ay Fi and Meisterschaft...they go way up lol
Yah id probably recommend the same.

I just got my downpipes and H pipe installed yesterday for about 1.5k and god oh god the car is alive finally. 0 drone and 0 ratteling in the vehicle but an awesome sound. Turbos whistle and picked up a few more horse power in the process as well.

Id say do not waste your time and money by removing mufflers as they arent going to give you any sound at all and removing the resonator does very little honestly even though a lot of users here are happy with that mod.

Keep in mind if you do downpipes you will have to worry about CEL since the cats are gone and O2 sensor will flag. You will need to spend extra money on a tune or bypass this issue.

Overall i am extremely happy and can finally enjoy a V8 likes its supposed to be.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:08 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Originally Posted by Clkboi
Yah id probably recommend the same.

I just got my downpipes and H pipe installed yesterday for about 1.5k and god oh god the car is alive finally. 0 drone and 0 ratteling in the vehicle but an awesome sound. Turbos whistle and picked up a few more horse power in the process as well.

Id say do not waste your time and money by removing mufflers as they arent going to give you any sound at all and removing the resonator does very little honestly even though a lot of users here are happy with that mod.

Keep in mind if you do downpipes you will have to worry about CEL since the cats are gone and O2 sensor will flag. You will need to spend extra money on a tune or bypass this issue.

Overall i am extremely happy and can finally enjoy a V8 likes its supposed to be.

Hmmmm. I can do 1k to 1.5k
Care to show pics and videos and name of the products you bought?
Yea I've heard the muffler/resonator delete on youtube, the exhaust note does change but it's very mild. I want something better.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
The downpipes and H pipe were custom made instead of purchased. If you buy some pre made the end result will be the same as long as the downpipes are catless. The H pipe is also something any exhaust shop can do as it is very simple. I do not have any photos of under the car but here are some videos:

Car setup is. Downpipes + H Pipe + No resonator

Drive off in comfort mode:

Revs with my QTP closed:

Revs with my QTP fully open:

Inside the cabin. Cutouts are closed and comfort mode. Drivers side window is open:

Obviously a lot more aggressive and you can hear the turbo whistle. Again this mod has given me 0 drone and 0 rattling in the car. A tune will most likely define this sound even more. Thinking to go with OE tunning but have a few questions first.

Last edited by Clkboi; 12-08-2018 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:34 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Ok, so let me get this straight. You still have the QTP cutouts installed as well as Down Pipe and H pipe and No Resonator (all resonators deleted??).

TBH, I'm loving the videos. Thanks for taking the time. But downpipes and other set up will get expensive for me. Because then I'd have to re-tune the codes so I don't get check engine lights and worry about smog lol But i do love the set up.

I might just go for H or X pipe and do a muffler delete? Not sure. Still exploring all the options and not break my bank acc lol. Bc I will be getting wheels and lowering module so I have some work to do.

Now I'm thinking if the QTP cutouts would fit good with H or X pipe and keep the mufflers stock?
Old 12-10-2018, 03:19 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
shoot me an email @ Balroop12@gmail.com
I'm not here that often and have more questions for ya lol abt QTPs
Old 12-11-2018, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Roop94
Ok, so let me get this straight. You still have the QTP cutouts installed as well as Down Pipe and H pipe and No Resonator (all resonators deleted??).

TBH, I'm loving the videos. Thanks for taking the time. But downpipes and other set up will get expensive for me. Because then I'd have to re-tune the codes so I don't get check engine lights and worry about smog lol But i do love the set up.

I might just go for H or X pipe and do a muffler delete? Not sure. Still exploring all the options and not break my bank acc lol. Bc I will be getting wheels and lowering module so I have some work to do.

Now I'm thinking if the QTP cutouts would fit good with H or X pipe and keep the mufflers stock?
According to my muffler guy the Mercedes is an H pipe car and strongly recommends NOT doing an X-pipe.
I believe our cars have 4 cats?! But the ones with the O2 sensors on mine are gone. Those are the only reason you will be able to hear the turbo whistle from the CLS.
I have my cutouts still but I only keep those closed now because a muffler delete on our cars doesn't sound good at all in my opinion and it shakes too much for a quality ride. I will be going to a shop to remove those permanently.

If I had to go the cheap route I would do a resonator delete and H pipe first. If that's good enough carry on and if not I would remove the cats as well to guarantee some sound.

Another option is changing the muffler to some other brand instead of OEM but I have never seen that...
Old 12-11-2018, 06:53 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Yea I'm thinking about doing 1 thing first and then do the 2nd.

So you recommend H pipe over X pipe?

what I'm thinking is to do H or X pipe and resonator delete and leave the muff alone and see how it sits on noise and if I get any drone and if I like it overall. If it's good, then I'll be stopping right there. We will see how it goes. I may plan to do it by the end of this month? not sure
Old 12-11-2018, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Correct do H pipe and remove resonator and see how you feel about that. I would not remove the mufflers on these cars unless I'm replacing them with something better.

I first had my resonator removed and an x pipe and let me tell you right now you will notice no difference at all. Maybe at WOT, very little but how many times are you really doing that. Not worth it.

It would be interesting to see an H pipe and no res as I don't think anyone here has done it before
Old 12-12-2018, 02:16 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Wait, you said you did X pipe and no resonator and you felt no change in exhaust note? Like not even a little?
Old 12-12-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2012 CLS 550 Launch Edition
Here's a video showing all 3 options. It will be louder taking out the resonators and replacing them with an x-pipe, it won't sound like a hotrod though.

I think that @VirtualRain removed the resonators and went from a straight pipe to x-pipe and said it was just about right.

This is what it sounds like with a resonator and muffler delete -

View this post on Instagram
Old 12-14-2018, 12:11 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Hmmm..not much of a noise change from Resonator delete with straight pipe vs Resonator delete with X pipe

This one dude I talked to, he said he did mid cat delete, resonator delete, and muff delete...pretty much straight pipes throughout, sounded very nice and said he had no drone or vibration at all. Had a quiet loud turbo spool which was awesome. But he also mentioned he had Renntech tune, that's another thing to consider.

I think I might play around with the exhaust a little. Do straight pipe on resonators vs H pipe and then muff delete. If I like it, I'll keep it, if not, I'll put em back lol I don't want it super loud, but it would be nice if it makes the sound on regular driving the sound it makes on cold start haha, or anywhere close. Bc cold starts are loud on these.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2012 CLS 550 Launch Edition
That Instagram video I posted was resonator and muffler delete. It does sound nice and it's something that I want to do but I'm a little worried that the volume in the video isn't actually close to what it sounds like IRL.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:22 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Instagram video...? Is that the one by the username of Evilcls? The Nardo Grey(ish) color backing up on the driveway? I actually contacted that person on IG and he said he did mid cat delete, resonator delete, and muff delete. Pretty much straight pipes all the way...pretty much I said it in my comment above.

I don't think I want to delete the 2nd set of cats. I just want it to be bit louder and, if possible, some turbo whistle would be nice. Idk what set-up to do. A full catback exhaust is pretty expensive for me. Plus I think that CLS was loud because he had a RennTech tune running as well and some other mods. So that one isn't stock.

I'm going to hold on from doing anything to my exhaust for now and just wait and watch what others do to it.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 550 4matic W218
What size tubing is the diameter of our exhaust? What size are we supposed to replace the deleted portion with?

Also what diameter are you supposed to use to connect the crossover portion of the H pipe? A smaller 0.5-1” crossover up by the secondary cats and then straight pipe through the res delete?

Last edited by Raptorpower700; 12-21-2018 at 09:33 AM.