CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Washer stuck behind water pump pulley... seriously

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 CLS550
Washer stuck behind water pump pulley... seriously

yeah. So i finally get around to doing my thermostat, and confirmed i also need to replace the top idler pulley. When removing, the rear washer fell down and trapped itself behind the water pump pulley. It somehow landed just so that i could not retrieve it with a magnet or even knock it out with a wire or flathead. It settled down near the bottom where there is 0 visibility and 0 access...

Initially, it was rattling around when I would spin the pulley, but eventually it worked its way into a position where it is no longer making a noise. No rattles, no scraping. I'm not entirely sure how this is possible, but such is my luck...

My question is, is everything back behind that area totally sealed off where the pulley housing mates with the engine? I would imagine so. Therefore the only real risk I run by just running it as is, would be if somehow the engine vibration caused it to spit out during operation? This would honestly be ideal. I don't think it could possibly harm the belt...

I just really don't want to deal with pulling that pulley assembly out, just for a stupid washer. I'd have to buy or rent the tool, possibly replace gasket, etc etc. What a headache.

Thoughts? Jokes? Similar stories?

Not in a good mood over this
Old 02-28-2023, 03:16 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2012 CLS550
Dropped a screw once into the engine on my E30. Replaced the screw and put it back together. Never did find that screw, I suppose it fell out. Unless you want to start pulling the whole thing apart, you may just have to put it back together and pray. Do you have anyone else who can come take a look? Sometimes that helps.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:15 AM

2011 CLS550
Lol!!! Wow! That would give me too much anxiety. I'm having enough trouble with this. Going to put it all back together this morning and hope and pray. What bothers me is not knowing if its still back there or not, assuming it manages to find it's way out from the high speed and vibration of actual operation, spits itself out on the highway, I'll never know about that, and I will forever have this in the back of my mind. maybe it will come out on initial startup in the garage. God willing.

No, no buddies to work on cars with anymore at this stage in life.
Old 03-04-2023, 02:13 AM

2011 CLS550
Put the car back together, running great. Not sure what happened to the stupid washer - I guess if I ever have to replace the water pump pulley I will find out. lol!
Old 06-10-2023, 11:33 AM

2011 CLS550
Just thought I'd update this thread. the washer eventually spat itself out and landed on top of the splash guard/undertray. OCD healed. lol!