CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

How long should tires and brakes last?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 CLS 550 Black Ext Almond Mocha Int Ex MBs: '06 E500, '03 E320, '00 E320
How long should tires and brakes last?

I own a 2012 CLS 550 with about 25,200 miles on it. I have original brakes and original 19" Pirelli P Zeros (staggered). I've heard that the tires usually last about 18k to 20k miles depending on how you drive. In my case, the tires still pass the penny test. I was expecting to replace the brakes and tires thousands of miles ago, but the service guy said that my brakes are still good and I can see that the tires are still good.

I am wondering how long can I expect my brakes and tires last?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 CLS550
Depends on how you drive. Why would you think the tires or brakes would last longer/shorter than any other car? Do you think MB ships cars from the factory out of alignment? I'm not trying to hack on you man, but this kind of question can be answered by using a little common sense.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:27 PM

This has nothing to do with common sense. Low profile tires do not last as long as full profile tires, but I am not sure how long. With respect to the tires and the brakes, I am wondering what I can expect based on the experience of others. Isn't that what this forum is about?
Old 09-09-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by Ferrast
This has nothing to do with common sense. Low profile tires do not last as long as full profile tires, but I am not sure how long. With respect to the tires and the brakes, I am wondering what I can expect based on the experience of others. Isn't that what this forum is about?
Actually it has everything to do with common sense. My point was it has more to do with driving style than the design of the car or tire. Also is it rear wheel, or all wheel drive. Your car has 25K on it, measure the remaining tread depth and compare to the original tread depth (which I believe is 10/32") - that should give you an overall average of tire wear.

The same principal applies to the brakes.

I drive my car hard. I had the brakes done at 45K, and I put new tires on when I bought it 30K ago (and have 65% tread left). But I also rotate between winter & summer tires.

My C5 Corvette on the other hand gets new rear tires ever other summer, and the fronts are 4 years old with 75% tread - and they are very low profile tires.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:32 PM

In my original post I stated "depending on how you drive" so I realize that driving style is relevant. As I clarified in my previous post, I just want to know what other drivers of a CLS 550 with low profile tires have experienced. Thank you for providing your experience with the brakes and tires. I would be interested in hearing from others. BTW, I'm a big fan of the C5 Vettes. Thanks again.