Brake nightmare! - Page 2 - MBWorld.org Forums

CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Brake nightmare!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 08-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #26

Drives: 08 CLS 550 Sport, 06 Z4, 65 Shelby 427 SC
I changed my rotors and pads 9 months ago. Slotted and drilled rotors and Brembo ceramic pads. Braking is phenomenal, very little dust. But yes, they squeal just before full stop. Loud at first, then I did the recommended bedding in. Better now. I saw that you had ceramic pads before. I'm pretty sure that was where your squeak was originating.
click430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #27
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2006 c55 & 1992 190e sportline
I know it might sound crazy but my when brakes start to make noise (all OE equipment) I do a couple of 60 - 0 hard stops and it goes away.
insame1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #28

Drives: 2006 CLS 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by insame1 View Post
I know it might sound crazy but my when brakes start to make noise (all OE equipment) I do a couple of 60 - 0 hard stops and it goes away.
This was a constant squeal but it was remedied by changing the rear pads. The mechanic for whatever reason did everything but check the pads and did not test drive the car so we ended up both spending money (he had to give free labor) I had to buy new pads... which I guess isn't the worst thing in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by click430 View Post
I changed my rotors and pads 9 months ago. Slotted and drilled rotors and Brembo ceramic pads. Braking is phenomenal, very little dust. But yes, they squeal just before full stop. Loud at first, then I did the recommended bedding in. Better now. I saw that you had ceramic pads before. I'm pretty sure that was where your squeak was originating.
Actually the pads that were originally on the car were mercedes oem which I believe are partially ceramic? Or possibly full metallic.. I am not quite sure as mercedes gets their parts from everywhere these days. But what I purchased was some ate full ceramic pads which totally eliminated the noise. I might stick with this brand given how short lived the "oem mercedes" pads were. Also atleast this way I know what i'm getting every time instead of a box that says mercedes but could be from anywhere.
Dnasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:11 AM   #29

Well barely just two month's after making this post the brake squeal has returned. I'm guessing this is not a simple brake pad/rotor issue as I changed essentially everything 2 months ago (mercedes rotors and ate ceramic pads) but not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated? First set of pads lasted 6 months... second set 2 months...
Old 10-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #30
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dump the ceramic pads and get OE ones. Also make sure you grease the back of the pads up really well. Most brake noise is a pad vibrating.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Dump the ceramic pads and get OE ones. Also make sure you grease the back of the pads up really well. Most brake noise is a pad vibrating.
Every car I've owned up until this cls has never benefitted to my knowledge from pad grease, on my old e class I just put new pads on and the squeal went away for atleast a year until the pads were significantly worn. And I thought that ceramic pads were supposed to be superior to metallic? Could it be another part of the brake system that is causing this because the prior set of mercedes pads I had on it lasted me about 6 months (they squealed as well but did not show significant wear). Two months then brake squeal again? I have not yet removed these pads yet but there's no way they could have worn this fast. I've never heard of this... I don't commute a hundred miles a day and I don't take the car to the track.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:25 AM   #32

Just wanted to see if I could get any input on this... in the course of about 6 months I have had about 4 different brands of pads on this car. I also have new rotors on the car... every pad has produced brake squeal after a certain period of time ( some sooner then others). I've used oems, and ate ceramics. There is also an occasional scraping noise that happens towards the end of my first heavy initial brakes after starting the vehicle. I've taken it to multiple mechanics and never been able to replicate the scraping noise as that usually happens on a hill and the squeal is very intermittent as well. So really nobody can diagnose the problem so far. Any ideas as to what could be causing this issue or how i could get this fixed it's quite bothersome to have brand new brakes that squeal and crunch. I know this car is capable of not making brake noise as I drove for a year prior to this on new oem pads just fine.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #33
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would check all of your calipers and mounts. Also pads in them selves do not create the squeal noise you are hearing. That noise is vibration transferred through the brake system. Installing the pads correctly with the proper lubricant is key.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #34

Quote:
I would check all of your calipers and mounts. Also pads in them selves do not create the squeal noise you are hearing. That noise is vibration transferred through the brake system. Installing the pads correctly with the proper lubricant is key.
Where would be key parts to lubricate?. I have checked and changed these pads a number of different times and have done many brake jobs on other vehicles in the past and am wondering if this could be a more serious issue with the braking system. The last shop I took it to the guy lubricated the brakes... squeal was gone for maybe about a week until I had to drive about 80 miles and it's been squealing ever since. Also what is more concerning then the squeal is the rubbing noise I get from somewhere in the front of my vehicle, sounds a lot like the noise the underbody will make if you scrape a speedbump or something. It does this on the first few complete stops after starting the car. I don't want to sell this car but I also don't want to go crazy chasing a brake noise.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #35

Bump any ideas? I took the car to mercedes for a full inspection and they said everything is fine... I doubt they did any test driving so as far as them not hearing any noise they would be full of ****. They did however mention that my front control arm bushings are worn.. I looked and they are a bit cracked... Would this cause a grind noise in the front of the car when going down a hill or when breaking? Maybe due to weight transfer?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #36
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have you changed the pads out to OE yet?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Have you changed the pads out to OE yet?
Yes I got all pads front and back from mercedes.. the front is brembo and the back is jurid.. And I believe the grinding is coming from the front while the squealing is coming from the back. Lol makes me wonder if brembos grind and jurids squeal.