CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Head unit replaced

Old 12-11-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Head unit replaced

So, I decided to replace the boring COMAND head unit a couple of years ago. I replaced it with a Pioneer AVIC 8000NEX with included DVD and navigation. I also bypassed the pro-logic amp in the trunk (fiber optic). To do that, I had to disconnect the wire harness from the amplifier and then run separate cables to each speaker in the car. I spliced/tapped into the existing wiring and then ran it all to the speaker output leads on the aftermarket head unit's wiring harness. In the future, I plan to simplify the setup by running RCA cables from the back of the aftermarket head unit to an aftermarket amp that I will install in the trunk. The speaker leads will then be rerouted to the amp in the trunk. I made each lead extra long so that I wouldn't have to remake them in the future after installing the amp. To retain steering wheel controls, I had to install a CANBUS control adapter. The only drawbacks to the setup as far as I can see is that you will lose "NAVI", and "AUDIO", information on the DIC display, as well as voice controls (no big deal). I also spliced the factory GPS antenna with the connector head of the included aftermarket antenna to avoid having to mount the tacky magnetic aftermarket antenna on the vehicle. XM radio is through an add-on hide-away module that I installed behind the dash. It's receiver antenna is magnetically mounted to the center channel speaker grille. All wires are hidden away, nice and neat. I did the entire install myself, using information found on this forum and elsewhere on the internet. I've just recently added a Chromecast to the setup to allow full WIFI mirroring of my cell phone's display to the head unit's screen. This has exponentially added extra benefits to the system, allowing for Google maps, on-screen internet access and other phone related content. Now I can have the most updated maps FREE, FOREVER, all of the time, without having to go to the stealership to pay for their map upgrades (yeah, they're expensive).

Last edited by Launchstation; 12-11-2016 at 11:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kain78 (01-09-2017)
Old 12-16-2016, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls 500
This is amazing, nice job. Would this work on a W219 2008 cls500? EU spec? Where did you buy the parts from.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:06 PM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by stoney2013
This is amazing, nice job. Would this work on a W219 2008 cls500? EU spec? Where did you buy the parts from.
Yes, this setup should work with any W219 (C219) vehicle. It will also work with the W211 E-Class. The W219 and W211 share many of the same radio components. As far as where I got the parts, I searched mostly on ebay. You're gonna have to do some detective work to find the 2-DIN install kit and the CANBUS steering wheel control adapter. If I can find some links to the parts, I'll try to send you a PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL550
Amazing job
Old 01-09-2017, 07:58 AM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by kain78
Amazing job
Thank you.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 CL55, 2003 SL55 and 2009 G55
Nice details thank you. I have been considering the AVIC-8100 with Alpine PDX amps with full integration, steering wheel controls. My understanding is that I can use all the factory wiring with an integration module.

Wanted to ask how you have been enjoying the AVIC? Did you use the steering wheel integration module? How is the Navigation working for you?

Thanks,
Mick
Old 01-26-2017, 12:48 PM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by AMG_55_cruiser
Nice details thank you. I have been considering the AVIC-8100 with Alpine PDX amps with full integration, steering wheel controls. My understanding is that I can use all the factory wiring with an integration module.

Wanted to ask how you have been enjoying the AVIC? Did you use the steering wheel integration module? How is the Navigation working for you?

Thanks,
Mick

I like the AVIC model a lot. It's capacitive touchscreen is similar in quality to a tablet or smartphone. It plays DVD's, MP3s, and regular CD's. I also have the hide-away XM module that connects to the rear of the unit. That, and it has all kinds of inputs for amps, and rear-seat entertainment. It also supports gestures and multi-touch. As far as the navigation, it's okay. Of course you will have to eventually update the maps. Unfortunately the updates are not free for life and you are required to purchase them from the company that makes them (NAVIEXTRAS if I remember correctly). I usually just use Google Maps while in AppRadio Mode. It's waaaay more accurate and the map updates are, of course, free for life.

EDIT: Yes, I do use a programmable CANBUS steering wheel control adapter. Setting it up is a little aggravating, but it hasn't given me a problem in the 4+ years that I've had it. It even survives a total loss of vehicle power (battery changes, jump-starts etc.....). Hope this helps you!

Last edited by Launchstation; 01-26-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercdes 350CLS
Hello
Can you tell me where to find and what colors are the mercedes CANBUS wires from the steering wheel controls.
I have a problem with my car stereo
Thank you