CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Repair shop wrecked my engine

Old 12-29-2016, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLS550, 2001 C240
Repair shop wrecked my engine

Gents,
I had this local shop in Kirkland, WA just wrecked the engine of my 2008 CLS550 while doing some very simple job like replacing a oil level sensor.
They recognized that some mechanic turned on the engine without oil (while waiting for a starter which by coincidence broke in the shop too!). I had to take the car back with a noise engine and now they found metal in the oil filter they just changed.
Story short either they dropped something in the engine or ran it with no oil... the engine needs to be changed.
They offer to put a used engine, lower mileage and give me 2 years warranty.
Any advice?
I would go have the local dealer to the engine change.. at least ...

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2016, 10:32 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by buzescu
Gents,
I had this local shop in Kirkland, WA just wrecked the engine of my 2008 CLS550 while doing some very simple job like replacing a oil level sensor.
They recognized that some mechanic turned on the engine without oil (while waiting for a starter which by coincidence broke in the shop too!). I had to take the car back with a noise engine and now they found metal in the oil filter they just changed.
Story short either they dropped something in the engine or ran it with no oil... the engine needs to be changed.
Any advice?
I would go have the local dealer to the engine change.. at least ...

Thanks!
They definitely need to take a loss for this as they just devalued your car a great deal, whatever the dealership would do in this situation is what they should do... did they take ownership of the issue? Or did they try to act clueless.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLS550, 2001 C240
They took ownership.
At least they called me and told me what happened...
Now, will see what color they turn when I am gonna tell them I want the dealership to fix it.
I agree the value of the car will take a hit.. I may not be able to sell it at all. An almost 10 years old... I was the one owner... now it is different.
Sure I will end up with lower mileage but just on the engine.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 350 CDI
Originally Posted by buzescu
If they put in a different engine will future buyers think you had a big smash and had to replace the front end. Can they not repair the existing one by stripping it right down?
Old 01-08-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL550
It seems fair to me if they take the car and pay you the market value for it. They can fix it themselves, shouldn't be your problem.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with a replacement engine, not sure if they are willing to bend over though.