Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Car completely dies while driving ONLY on extremely hard acceleration

Hi All;
I hoping for some pointers/suggestions from you all. My car is a 2006 cls500 w219, 66K miles.

A few weeks ago my crankshaft position sensor failed (code p0335) and I replaced it and everything was fine. I bought an "Intermotor" crankshaft position sensor from Advanced Auto. Naturally, I would have preferred OEM/Bosch, but I was in a bind. The reviews are not so good for the sensor and suggest it fails or doesn't fit snug.Here it is:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...825/20970565-P

Last night I was driving home in dense traffic. There is only one place during my commute where I can have fun, with no traffic and completely gunning it up a hill. I smashed the gas pedal, thrusting my body into the driver seat for my usual fun, accelerating full throttle. The car completely died. In the middle of the highway. I put my hazard lights on, drifted to the side of the road, and restarted my car fine.

The code was p0335, and I cleared it, and it did not return. Later that evening I went for a test drive to attempt to reproduce the problem. For about an hour I raced around town, slamming the gas pedal at every opportunity. I even went in an empty parking lot and lit up my traction control.

It wasn't until I was in a similar situation early in the day where I was going up a hill upon very hard acceleration did the car die again. Let me repeat- the car only died upon very, very hard acceleration. I checked the code again and it was a p0335, which I cleared and it did not return. I drove to work today with no problem.

I'm thinking it could be one of three problems:

1. When I installed the CPS the other night I remember I did not tighten the E8 Torx screw very much, and perhaps a slight movement from this caused an opening in the circuit.

2. The sensor I purchased is not the correct spec. The reviews on the Intermotor CPS suggest these are not very good sensors and are prone to failure.

3. The sheer inertia of the very hard acceleration is momentarily creating an open circuit for the crankshaft position sensor, causing the car to die. Perhaps someone along the wiring harness something is not tight.

In order to address 1. and 2., last night I tightened the E8 Torx screw and purchased the Bosch sensor, which I will install once I get it in the mail. Here is the Bosch sensor:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...NWXkWp&vxp=mtr

In terms of 3., I looked around for damaged wiring but did not see anything. I'd like to check out a wiring DIAGRAM for the crankcase position sensor, but I cannot find it. Does anyone have a diagram they may suggest?

Any suggestions from you all out there? I want to say thanks in advance, this forum and the community have helped me solve countless projects!!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Looks like this guy had the same problem, and it was the stupid aftermarket sensor!!
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...eleration.html
Old 12-02-2017, 08:00 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Looks like this guy had the same problem, and it was the stupid aftermarket sensor!!
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...eleration.html
Yea sorry to hear this man. This is one part I wouldn't cheap out on as i'm sure you know it's a hassle to put back in.... even the bosch ones aren't rated very highly I would go oem mercedes if it's not too late it will have the benz logo on the cps.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Talking

Originally Posted by Dnasty
Yea sorry to hear this man. This is one part I wouldn't cheap out on as i'm sure you know it's a hassle to put back in.... even the boschHey ones aren't rated very highly I would go oem mercedes if it's not too late it will have the benz logo on the cps.
Hey Buddy, thanks for the response.
Actually, the price was not the issue, it was that Advance Auto had one in stock and I needed to get back on the road.
I thought that Bosch was the OEM part?

I have the crappy CPS in my car now, and was going to put the Bosch in the car this week.
Surely the Bosch is better than the terrible Intermotor part ha!
If the Bosch is no good looks like I will have to do this job 3 or 4 times and will be a CPS expert

It is amazing this little tiny sensor is so pivotal in the operation of our car!
It also amazing how important OEM parts are with Mercedes.
I have never had a problem going aftermarket until I owned Mercedes cars.
Just for others who may be reading- do get the OEM part if you can, it is really important
Old 12-04-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Hey Buddy, thanks for the response.
Actually, the price was not the issue, it was that Advance Auto had one in stock and I needed to get back on the road.
I thought that Bosch was the OEM part?

I have the crappy CPS in my car now, and was going to put the Bosch in the car this week.
Surely the Bosch is better than the terrible Intermotor part ha!
If the Bosch is no good looks like I will have to do this job 3 or 4 times and will be a CPS expert

It is amazing this little tiny sensor is so pivotal in the operation of our car!
It also amazing how important OEM parts are with Mercedes.
I have never had a problem going aftermarket until I owned Mercedes cars.
Just for others who may be reading- do get the OEM part if you can, it is really important
I can't recall who the oem supplier is for this part for mercedes and they like to change their suppliers frequently. Did you happen to save the bad one you took out of your car? What does it look like? These things should last a very long time when i changed mine it was a factory one at like 90k and gave me plenty of clues to change it before it really went out on me. The new one i had put in my car had all the mercedes badges on it so there's really no way to tell who made it unless I had the oem side by side... mercedes may even make the part lol. And yea welcome to the land of mercedes where they want everything to be oem pretty soon they'll start making mercedes gasoline they already have their own motor oil.. lol. The bosch should probably be fine though I know they use many bosch components oem and if it's already in there i'd just leave it alone, definitely better then whatever they sold you at advanced autoparts.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
FCP Euro, Pelican Parts, or go to the dealer. Only use OES (Mercedes Parts) for stuff like this. I had the same issue, replaced the CPS with Mercedes brand, no issues. I had my CLS500 for 6 years, 145K miles. Moved on the CLS63. FCP Euro is awesome for parts, prices, and the lifetime warranty!
The following users liked this post:
LexBrett2 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
I very much appreciate everyone's support on this forum. You all have solved countless issues.