CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Replaced idler sprocket engine in car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 12:08 AM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2007 cls550
Great job. Insane that there are no teeth left on the original gear.

Remember to torque that bolt properly on installation. It is insane. Like 200lbs and then another 90 degrees. It is so absurd that some have done it wrong and it comes a part.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:01 PM

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Originally Posted by E42AMG???
Pulling the engine took me 4 hours by myself drinking after work one day. Mine is a 4 matic also and it would be impossible to do it in the car.

Little disclaimer I bought this car knowing this was the issue. When I took it apart I couldn’t believe what I found

when Mercedes said the best or nothing I guess they meant it
Did the teeth wear off or was it produced no teeth?

Last edited by NZ-Merc; 04-25-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz GLC300
Hello 95viper,

I hope you would by chance get back to me. I am the step where I removed the timing case and already took out the old Idler gear and replaced it with new. I have a couple of questions if its okay.

I moved the chain around so that the copper links would each lineup on each cam sprocket and crankshaft gear. There is also a copper link that touches the Idler gear. However, I do not see mark on the Idler gear to line it up to, which confuses me on why there would be a copper link there. I am scared to screw up the timing.

Also after applying the sealant on to the upper oil pan where it would touch the timing case at the bottom. Wouldn't just the sealant be smeared around after trying to push the timing cover back in and wouldn't seal good? I am trying to see if I should remove the upper oil pan too. This way I would avoid ruining the head gasket and seal the bottom properly.

Just some advise here would help me get through this horrible job.

Best regard!