Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
The Complete w211/w219 Android Head Unit Research Thread

1.0 Purpose.

The purpose of this thread is to gather in one place all relevant information regarding "upgrading" to an android head unit in the Mercedes w211/w219 chassis. Over the next few weeks, I will be assembling various information such as reviews, MB world threads, and anything else I can find. Please chime in if you have questions, comments, or suggestions. Ultimately, I collected this information to determine if I will do the upgrade or not. For the community, I hope this helps as a learning guide.

2.0 Assumptions.
  • You are not happy with the dated head unit on your w211 or w219
  • You have considered the Android head unit, but have lots of questions
3.0 Table of Contents
  • Summary of prior MB world threads, (b) summary of various posts on web, (c) other sources
  • How do I know if a given Android Head Unit fits my vehicle? What are the plugs and harnesses on the back of the OEM head unit? Do I even need a fiber optic adapter? What are the pros and cons of the of the plug and play adapter and the long cord going to amplifier in the trunk to connect Fiber Optics?
  • What are the options currently on the market, and what are the respective pros and cons of each model? Are Android head units only made in China, or are there models available that were produced in the US?
  • What w211 or w219 owners have installed the Android head units DIY and how do they like them?
  • What are the steps required for the install and what tools are needed?
  • What are risks and trade-offs of the upgrade?
  • What are pros and cons of Android Head Units available online and what is this going to cost me? Do I necessarily need to spend more to get a better head unit?
  • Should I do this mod?
Stay tuned!!
  • Summary of prior MB world threads, (b) summary of various posts on web, (c) other sources
Discussion of android head unit install on a w211

This thread is essentially a rant about several android head units. The useful nugget of information is regarding the Xtron adapter, which the authors have found to be hit or miss. Apparently the 5-meter cord going to trunk is more reliable. Here is the product:

xtron fiber optic adapter xtron fiber optic adapter

This type of adapter could be a breakthrough for installing in our cars, since it would essentially make the android head units plug and play. Sadly, this product does not necessarily work. I asked a question about the product on amazon and received an interesting response from a buyer:

Question: Will this work with my Mercedes 2006 cls500 (w219)?

Answer: It's a hit or miss case: I installed the same unit on my 2005 E500 (w211) and it worked fine. I purchased another for my 2006 CLS55 (w219) and it didn't.

Also, the Xtron products appear to be questionable in general, where one person on the thread said that the “Xtrons 7.1 Android Head Unit is Junk”

This is a good video on how to install an Android Head unit in a w211. About mid-way through the video, the author shows the fiber optic plug and the required adapter. I’m not sure yet the brand of the adapter, but I will report back later. The later part of the video gets a bit overwhelming.

This video discusses how to power on the new head unit, canbus (steering wheel control wiring), fiber optics, and backlighting. Since you probably won't be lucky enough to have a plug and play power harness, this video shows almost every step you need. But note this is install is still very hard if directions are not provided with your new head unit, as seems to be unfortunately the case with many Chinese products. One interesting thing I learned in this video is that the only thing you need to do to get power is to find the YELLOW (power) and BLACK (ground) wire on the Android wiring harness and connect to a power source. You can even use a simple fuse tap to power it on, as the author of this video did.

Apparently the most reliable method to connect the fiber optics is with this cord going to the amp in the trunk. Honestly, I cannot even find the amp in my trunk. Once I find it I will update my post with pics. One question is whether our cars necessarily have fiber optic? In my w219, there is no phone or nav, so could it be that I do not have to worry about the fiber optic plugs? Once I take apart my OEM COMMAND Head Unit, I will identify the plugs to figure it out.

Good description of installation and identification of fiber optic plugs

This webpage shows how to install the Android head unit on a w211 and emphasizes identification of fiber optic plugs. In one pic, the actual fiber optic plug is shown. Another pic the orange plug in the trunk is depicted.

This YouTube video is useful because it shows all the cords and adapters that typically comes with an Android head unit. It also shows the fiber optic adapter.

Section Summary: The challenge with the Android Head unit is finding the correct adapter. Almost all our cars have fiber optics, but apparently some cars do not. If you have fiber optics, there are 2 choices. The first choice is using the cording going to the trunk. According to one website, the plug is a bright orange color in the trunk. The fiber optic plug in the dash area has 2 big round holes, as shown in other pics. Removing the OEM head unit requires removing the ash tray and cd changer, which is held on by 2 torx screws, which I believe are a T10. Then there are 2 other screws holding the head unit, and once removed it should slide out.

The next section will show actual pics of my car and determine if I have fiber optics and where the cords are located. I’ll also take pics to show how I removed the head unit.
  • How do I know if a given Android Head Unit fits my vehicle? What are the plugs and harnesses on the back of the OEM head unit? Do I even need a fiber optic adapter? What are the pros and cons of the of the plug and play adapter and the long cord going to amplifier in the trunk to connect Fiber Optics?

The pics below show my head unit taken apart. Even though the DIY videos say this is "easy", be prepared to be frustrated the first time. Sadly, I *think* that I located the fiber optic plug. It's the orange one in the pics. So if your car has this plug, you have the fiber optics and need the special adapter.
Pay close attention to the orange wire, since it leads to the Fiber Optic Plug.

Unfortunately the plug on my car is cearly fiber optic. Sigh... It was a PITA taking everything apart the first time. A couple hours. But I suspect the second time it will only take 15 minutes.

At this point, if you see this plug we can be fairly certain that the Fiber Optic decoder plug is required. Xtron sells these converters for about $100, but some reviewers on Amazon indicate that they do not work at all which is troubling. Furthermore, one seller on ebay indicated that if you have Fiber Optics then in addition to the converter, you need to also buy a power cable, radio antennae, and a radio antennae adapter. Very confusing! I emailed the seller for clarification and I will report back when and if they respond. See the pic below.

If you have Fiber Optics then in addition to the converter, you need to also buy a power cable, radio antennae, and a radio antennae adapter. Very confusing!

• What are the options currently on the market, and what are the respective pros and cons of each model? Are Android head units only made in China, or are there models available that were produced in the US?
It appears that virtually all the Android head units for our cars are made in China. That means interaction with the seller could be more challenging, as well as returns and instructions. However, there are two companies that sell our head units in the US. First, the company Dynavin is a German company with a North American supplier. Their products are the most expensive option. Second, the is Avin, which is the only American company I have been able to find. Both are discussed later.

Here are models that I found on Amazon (Search: “w219 w211 Android Head Unit”):

Least Expensive Head Unit Least Expensive Head Unit

Price: $239

This unit is the least expensive on Amazon. There are no reviews which is troubling. The seller makes an interesting note about the Fiber Optics, say that “Note: if your car has Fiber amplifier system such as "Harman Kardon" or "Bose (original Navi with Amplifier or Fiber-Optic). you need buy extend 6m cable, the cable be used connect our item port to car trunk port. If no this cable, car no sound after install item. If you don’t know car have fiber amplifier or not, you just need move out old radio and see radio port, if car port is BLUE AND WHITE port, your car need extend 6m cable, you can buy it at our store with item together, we will send it to you together.”

Features and Other Considerations: Include Bluetooth, GPS Navigation, AM/FM radio with data system, Dual Zone and Steering Wheel Control, Mirror link Airplay functions, etc. One question is whether the GPS works offline or not. I have noticed that some reviewers of other units have indicated that you must be connected to WIFI to use GPS which is very inconvenient. I am emailing the seller and he/she indicated that the GPS does indeed work offline.

Overall: Given the low cost, this unit seems like it could be a good option if GPS is supported offline. However, the lack of buyer feedback on Amazon is obviously a concern, although the nice thing about the website are the easy returns. I also do not see an option for the fiber optic adapter, only the cord going the trunk.

Large 8" Screen Xtrons Head Unit Large 8" Screen Xtrons Head Unit

Price: $309

The large screen and relatively low price are what caught my eye. The lack of information provided by the seller is a concern.

Features and Other Considerations: Seems to include standard features, but it is not clear whether GPS works offline. I have emailed the seller and he/she indicated that the GPS works offline, but one product reviewer said it did not. The reviews for this item are mixed, but the there is one nice picture of how it looks installed:

Amazon Reviews and Questions Amazon Reviews and Questions

Overall: This unit is inexpensive and seems to look nice installed. The mixed reviews and lack of information is a concern, but since returns are easy on Amazon this could be an option.

Dynavin the most expensive model but made for German Cars

Dynavin sold on amazon Dynavin sold on amazon

Price: $799 (Fiber Optic adapter including, saving at least $100)

Another way to go with the Android head unit is with Dynavin. This is a German company and makes the head units specifically for German cars. This would probably be the most reliable and low risk option, but it also costs almost 3 times the Chinese models. On the other hand, this unit comes with the fiber optic connector saving you between $100 and $130.

Features and Other Considerations: Includes all standard features of Chinese models.

Overall: This is clearly the lowest risk option with the highest price tag and is likely the highest quality. Amazon reviewers also gave this product 4.5 stars. It is also worth noting that the user manual is almost 100 pages long, suggesting a more reputable company and better engineering. The seller on Amazon also claims that they are the official distributor of North America for Dynavin. The question is whether it is necessary to spend so much more money, and are Chinese units essentially the same thing?

Super Cheap Option Super Cheap Option

Price: $219

Here is another cheap option, but the consumer reviews are troubling. Of the 2 reviews, both suggest that there is poor radio reception and the Bluetooth is not good.

Features and Other Considerations: Appears to have all the features of the other units.

Overall: The question here is whether the reviewer’s opinions are representative of all people who bought this radio. Probably not, and I suspect it is a descent unit at least compared to our antiquated 12-15 year old systems. It would just be a heartbreaker and do all this work on the install and research to find the wrong head unit was purchased just to save a few dollars.

Other "Medium" priced options that are virtually indistinguishable Other "Medium" priced options that are virtually indistinguishable

Price(s): $350-$450

There are several other options on Amazon that are mid-priced. I honestly cannot figure out how they are different, and if they are better or worse than the less expensive options.

Features and Other Considerations: Appears to have all the features of the other units.

Overall: it is hard to distinguish among the medium priced units. They all look the same and have the same product information and none have consumer reviews to justify the increased price.

Big Beautiful Seicane

Price: $549

This unit is available from the Chinese company Seicane. It has a big and beautiful 8.8” touch screen. The price is also higher than most other units, not to mention that a $129 adapter would be required for cars with Fiber Optics.

Overall: This is a huge touchscreen Android Head unit. That being said, this unit would not retain the factory look. It is also tied for the most expensive unit when costs of the fiber optic connector are considered. The website has a lot of very useful information and seems responsive in answering consumer questions.

Other Seicane Models

Price: $282-$549

There are several other models from this company available but they all seem to have about the same features.

Overall: This company does a good job describing products and seems like they are responsive to customers. Since they are not sold on Amazon, however, product returns could be more challenging. This is one YouTube video of an unboxing of a Seicane unit where the individual seemed to be very happy with the product.
AVINUSA

Price: $389

This model is made by Avinusa.com, and is the only domestic supplier that I have found.

Features and Other Considerations: Appears to have all the features of the other units

Overall: Avin appears to have capable technical support, accoeding to my cursory review of various forum posts. The price is also substantially cheaper than Dynavin, although you'll need to buy the fiber optic adapter ($100) and offline maps ($50) with the Avin unit (which come included with Dynavin). Aside from the big difference in price, another advantage of Avin is that it is an Android operating system and Dynavin is not.

Section Summary: There seems to be a couple routes to buying an Android head unit. First, you could go through Amazon and buy the less expensive units and just return the item if needed. I’d probably first check the sellers return policy before making this assumption. The second route is Dynavin, which appears to be the most reputable as well as expensive and would maintain the factory look. Avin has lots of promise, being an American company offering technical assistance and not that expensive.
  • What w211 or w219 owners have installed the Android head units DIY and how do they like them?
  • What are the steps required for the install and what tools are needed?
  • What are risks and trade-offs of the upgrade?
  • What are pros and cons of Android Head Units available online and what is this going to cost me? Do I necessarily need to spend more to get a better head unit?

I seem to have gotten away with myself with this thread, so I will try to be brief and close it out and answer the questions above. Most reviewers love the Android Head units, but we only have handful of videos online to make this determination. There could indeed be scores of unknown people that are frustrated and/or disappointed. Amazon reviews, although not very many, may suggest these challenges with this upgrade. We just really do not know given the sparse information.

In order to install the unit DIY, you have to first disassemble the your shifter console, ashtray, climate control, and radio. It is not easy but very doable. There will be a Fiber Optic plug that you will need to identify. There will also be several plugs, of which I am not entirely clear, based on the DIY videos. There is a farkra antennae plug, main head unit plug, canbus plug, and Fiber Optic plug.

There are 2 methods to connect Fiber Optics. First, a decoder is available that allows all the connections to be made in the cabin. These adapters range between $100 and $160. Some Amazon reviewers indicate that they do not work at all sometimes, which is a big concern. Then there is the long cord to the trunk to connect to the amplifier which seems to be the most reliable method. I have taken apart my trunk many times on different projects and I honestly cannot find this amplifier, but maybe I was not trying hard enough.

I'd say the there are definite risks to this upgrade. Some reviewers on Amazon have suggested that the sound is compromised after the install. Others have said that the in-cabin fiber optic adapter does not work at all. Getting technical support from China could and will almost certainly be a challenge. Some designs also do not look OEM, which may not be what some Mercedes owners desire.

Now to break down what all this will cost if DIY. All the Chinese units do not come with an fiber optic adapter, which is at least $100, and as high as $130. The cord to the trunk is about $60. So let's assume it costs about $100 to hook up fiber optics either way.

That being said, the least expensive Chinese unit is about $350 (i.e., adding in $100 fiber optic adapter). This large Seicane unit is the most expensive options at about $650.

Now to discuss the Dynavin Android head unit. It is $799 including the fiber optic adapter. In reality, the unit would only be a few hundred dollars more than the Chinese units. There is also the consideration that the unit is distributed in North America, appears to have good customer support, and is the only head unit on Amazon that has 4 or above stars.

Avin is the only US made head unit that I have found. It much less expensive that Dynavin, although you have to buy several extra items which add up.

You may or may not have to pay more to get a "better" product in this case. The issue is risk. If you want to have lower risk and pay more, the Dynavin may be for you. Avin would probably be ranked the second lowest risk since it is produced in the US. But if you think you can pull off the install, your reward may be a shiny new Android fun system for only a couple hundred dollars.
  • Should I do this mod?

At least for my case, I am leaning towards the Avin or Dynavin. There is just so much uncertainty with the Chinese units. However, I have yet to decide. I have sent several emails and Dynavin has been very responsive, and Avin has yet to respond. For a DIYer, technical support is key so at the moment I am on the fence but will report back later.

Well, I hope you all enjoyed this post and maybe learned something. Please contact me with questions or comments. I'll update the post later when I decide what to do.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

*Stay Tuned*
Update #1.
I was seriousely considering buying the us made avin unit, until I emailed with a few clarification questions. Emailing over the period of about a week, I received no response. I called as well. Nothing. Then I finally got a response, which was not only rude but also had misinformation. They also said not to email with questions about the install.
The reason why I would buy from the US company is so I could talk to a person if needed. That being said, I don't think I will go with avin.
Dynavin is a solid option, due to their nice customer support, but I recently discovered it is NOT android.
I'm actually now leaning toward towards the big beautifuil seicane unit. They have been very responsive on email and I love the big display. More to come...

Update #2. Just broke down bought the big beautiful Seicane Android unit. I'm expecting the install to be hard, but the sellers seems responsive and I feel I will get sufficient email support. That means I may not be able to get the job done in one night which sucks. Just didn't want to spend all that money on the boring non-android Dynavin. If i don't get too frustrated I will write a Seicane DIY and review. Wish me luck!!

Last edited by LexBrett2; 05-15-2019 at 08:27 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by LexBrett2:
Charlotte12Turn (12-16-2020), Clssy beach (04-19-2019), Jones77 (12-29-2020), KEN42N (08-03-2021), kjb55 (04-17-2019), ma7 (09-21-2022), Mackie Chang (02-16-2020), pa28pilot (07-18-2019), RvDeursen88 (08-01-2023), TJ Bell (11-24-2020) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-18-2019, 04:25 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
fleet
written like a scholarly research article. good job. keep thread updated.
The following 4 users liked this post by e350forme:
Charlotte12Turn (12-16-2020), LexBrett2 (04-19-2019), Rallyboy383 (04-25-2019), RvDeursen88 (08-01-2023)
Old 04-19-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz SL500
I'm not sure what your goal is for this very well prepared post, but if the biggest goal is Bluetooth, might I suggest this,
Amazon Amazon
if you have the IPod connector in your glovebox. Seems way simpler than changing out the head and fiber optic cables etc.

Just my $.02.
The following 2 users liked this post by PhoenixOp:
Charlotte12Turn (12-16-2020), LexBrett2 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
The goal is to determine the best Android Head Unit for my w219 and remove the boring OEM COMMAND. My car doesn't even have GPS on the head unit. I'd love to have GPS as well as Bluetooth, mirroring, etc. Currently, I do have a Bluetooth connection that is wired through my glove box. I'll look at your suggestion closer I decide not to proceed with Android head unit. Have a great day!

Last edited by LexBrett2; 04-19-2019 at 12:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Charlotte12Turn (12-16-2020)
Old 04-19-2019, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 M-B CLS55 AMG
Great and timely post. Just ordered the Xtrons 8" android navigation with 4GB RAM and OctaCore PX-5. Most of the mid priced examples are differentiated by tech specs. I see 2GB quad core models going for the same price as 4GB octa core. Also, the large 8.8" Seicane unit has only 2GB of RAM and non IPS. I am concerned about the larger screen without technical performance capability. I can send you the specs and links to all the various units I've come across and we can create a spreadsheet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mercede...MAAOSwll1af9ur

Seems the only real differences are with screen size, resolution, RAM, Storage Memory, Processor and Android Version.

Xtrons 8" screen 1024x600 4GB RAM 32GB Storage Octa-Core PX5 Processor Android 8.0

Last edited by Clssy beach; 04-19-2019 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Adding a link
Old 04-19-2019, 05:01 PM

2006 M-B CLS55 AMG

Idoing Android8.0/4G+32G/8Core Steering Wheel For MercedesBenz E Class W211 Car Multimedia Player Video WiFi 3G TV Fast Boot

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...59ce1da9Wkween

This unit has a custom UI skin over Android 8. Has more of a general OEM look rather than stock Android. OctaCore PX-5 processor. 7" 1024x600 IPS screen. 32GB Storage.

Couldn't find a video for a the w219 radio but I have included an overview of one for a WRX.

Here is a 6-month reliability review.

Last edited by Clssy beach; 04-19-2019 at 05:05 PM. Reason: new vid
Old 04-19-2019, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Clssy beach
Great and timely post. Just ordered the Xtrons 8" android navigation with 4GB RAM and OctaCore PX-5. Most of the mid priced examples are differentiated by tech specs. I see 2GB quad core models going for the same price as 4GB octa core. Also, the large 8.8" Seicane unit has only 2GB of RAM and non IPS. I am concerned about the larger screen without technical performance capability. I can send you the specs and links to all the various units I've come across and we can create a spreadsheet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mercede...MAAOSwll1af9ur

Seems the only real differences are with screen size, resolution, RAM, Storage Memory, Processor and Android Version.

Xtrons 8" screen 1024x600 4GB RAM 32GB Storage Octa-Core PX5 Processor Android 8.0
Very nice!! Are you planning to install it yourself? Did you buy the fiber optic adapter??

Did you buy the optical decoder and 3 other items suggested by the seller?
Have you taken apart your head unit yet and looked at the plugs? That would be fun to collaborate on the spreadsheet. I may buy the same xtron that you purchased.

Last edited by LexBrett2; 04-21-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 PM
rbm

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2008 E300 4MATIC
Do any of these Android-based head units support setting and resetting the Mercedes' clock? The OEM Command unit has that feature under settings.

Also, talking with a car audio installer today, he suggested I'd need a preamp unit to go between the head unit's stereo output plugs and the input to the MOST optical adapter. This would be required to boost the signal going to the adapter and therefore get sufficient volume on the car's OEM amp and speakers. Is this a true statement?
Old 08-06-2019, 07:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
X204 GLK 2014 / CLS C257 2018
Hi,
I have an android unit in my CLS for more than two years. I have choosen an full tactil display (no hard buttons) like the one in link:

https://androidautoshop.com/mercedes.../26-map-europe

II have ordered an extra cable that fits perfectly from behind the car (trunk) to front (the unit).
I have canceled the MOST (optical) connector, I have tooken out the original amplifier, everything is in the unit itself.
The sound is very good, bluetooth working very good, never had any problems with it. I think it is Xtrons.
I have installed it myself, I have front and reverse camera, USB for movies, internet and everything that you should have in 2019 as media enterteinment.
If you need details, don`t hesitate.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 350
Does anybody know if there is a universal way to restart and/or turn off an android head unit from within the android menus itself?

I'm not entirely convinced my android head unit is shutting down when i press the power button on the head unit because when i power it up again it goes straight back to where it was, no loading screen, no boot up. literally screen is showing exactly what was on it when i turned it off.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:17 PM

w219 cls55
Originally Posted by dkbkl
Hi,
I have an android unit in my CLS for more than two years. I have choosen an full tactil display (no hard buttons) like the one in link:

https://androidautoshop.com/mercedes.../26-map-europe

II have ordered an extra cable that fits perfectly from behind the car (trunk) to front (the unit).
I have canceled the MOST (optical) connector, I have tooken out the original amplifier, everything is in the unit itself.
The sound is very good, bluetooth working very good, never had any problems with it. I think it is Xtrons.
I have installed it myself, I have front and reverse camera, USB for movies, internet and everything that you should have in 2019 as media enterteinment.
If you need details, don`t hesitate.

yes please! I’m looking for the plugs in the trunk and I cannot for the life of me figure out where they go. There’s a dvd nav unit and a big black box with wires going into it. Need pics and help bad!
Old 02-16-2020, 09:46 PM

w219 cls55
any updates? did you get it installed? i'm mid process and finding it hard. I stupidly stripped the middle bolt to take the rear seat out...so maybe i'm too much a rookie diy'er for this
Old 10-10-2020, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by rbm
Do any of these Android-based head units support setting and resetting the Mercedes' clock? The OEM Command unit has that feature under settings.

Also, talking with a car audio installer today, he suggested I'd need a preamp unit to go between the head unit's stereo output plugs and the input to the MOST optical adapter. This would be required to boost the signal going to the adapter and therefore get sufficient volume on the car's OEM amp and speakers. Is this a true statement?
This is what I'd like to know as well. As far as I'm aware, that's the only way to set that clock for things like daylight savings and such. Maybe it can also be done with Star or something else otherwise very expensive.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
Answer

Originally Posted by bobgodd
This is what I'd like to know as well. As far as I'm aware, that's the only way to set that clock for things like daylight savings and such. Maybe it can also be done with Star or something else otherwise very expensive.
Found this video quite helpful:

He explains that you need to get your car coded as not having navigation, this way a new (new if you previously didn't have it) menu will show up on the instrument cluster allowing setting the time and date appropriately.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:26 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
W140, CLS55, SL65
Hi folks,

I'd like to try to get PBX70M211 but I have few questions:

1) Does it have a DSP?
2) Where would you buy one - on Xtrons website or on eBay? I see this model PBX70M211 is cheaper on eBay.

Thank you!
Old 03-03-2021, 12:26 PM

W140, CLS55, SL65
Fellas, I really don't understand which aftermarket head unit is better and more reliable. I guess everything is made in China and then it's labeled or even customized by various sellers. I spent hours reading about Avin, Dynavin, Seican, Xtrons and I feel empty already.

So at this moment I decided to try Xtrons (don't ask me why) and currently I'm waiting for the invoice from them. Yes, they will ship it from China.

They should install a DSP module and also include ALL necessary accessories to perform the installation. I mean all that adapters, antennas etc.

There are some risks - first they said they don't provide a detailed manual because they suppose it should be installed by a "professional" and second I don't know about the quality of their product. We'll see.

Once I receive it I'll post an update.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by Sergey84
Fellas, I really don't understand which aftermarket head unit is better and more reliable. I guess everything is made in China and then it's labeled or even customized by various sellers. I spent hours reading about Avin, Dynavin, Seican, Xtrons and I feel empty already.
I've been watching these for years and talking to folks, and while there are a few high-level differentiators, on the whole it is a bit of a crapshoot.

There are one or two makes that are not running Android. Either Dynavin or Avin (I can't remember at the moment without coffee) is using a Microsoft platform that is the next in line after Windows CE/Pocket PC/Windows Phone. The main distinction to those in terms of functionality, other than the lower availability of random apps you might want to run, is that at least one of them has compatibility with the generic SiriusXM module for satellite radio (SDARS) service.

As for the Android head units, if you take a look at Alibaba.com, you will find a zillion listings for what appears to be identical hardware to the Xtrons/Seicane/etc. units. Some of it almost certainly is identical, and may we'll be _their_ OEMs. The problem is that the market on Alibaba can be "a wretched hive of scum and villainy." You might get great product, you might get counterfeit product, and you might get an empty box.

So there isn't a lot of great info on historical performance, but I will suggest that it can be worth reviewing other "type club" forums than just Mercedes-Benz, as sometimes you can find insights. Dedicated audio forums can be helpful too. There is some custom software that makes these head units work with Mercedes-Benz cars, and there may occasionally be a hardware module or two that implement compatibility, but they're chunky glorified smartphones with extra inputs and a few custom apps.

In the end, the support of the vendor if something is broken out of the box is the thing for which you're mostly shopping.

In fairness, Xtrons, Seicane, Dynavin, and Avin (in no particular order) have now been present in the market for years, so they must be doing at least the bare minimum correctly to survive as long as they have. Some of those companies actually do seem to be legitimately developing and maintaining technology so they'll probably be the ones from whom other sellers in China are stealing intellectual property or copying.

If you look through Amazon you will find hundreds of these units. I would estimate that the majority of these are being sold by someone ordering them off of Alibaba and flipping them on Amazon.

The things about which I care a lot are:
- not shipping out of the box with obvious malware
(Yes, there's a non-trivial history of Chinese electronics having this issue)

- Android licensing. If a vendor ships a product based on the Android AOSP open source code base, it may work fine, but they may not have a license for the Google services behind a lot of popular Google apps.
(There are ways to make it work, but they tend to require a willingness to hook a computer to your device and load things in ways that are a little complicated.)

- no parasitic power drains when properly installed
- decent CAN bus interfaces for things like steering wheel controls or instrument cluster display
- regular software updates based on the core OS vendor's regular software updates. Both Google and Microsoft are continually pushing software updates out to address security and functionality issues. Speaking as a "greybeard" cybersecurity guy of sorts, I would NOT use my main personal Google account to log into one of these things if I didn't have the confidence that it was running a relatively current version of Android, be it "official" or open source. The fact that it's a car doesn't make a difference to an adversary, and cars have extra attack surface that smartphones don't have.
- intelligible documentation. Good vendors often have their installer docs downloadable from their web site

Part of me wants to buy several of these and compare the hardware and software on the bench to see what the differences really are.

I don't know if any of that is helpful, but thinking deliberately about the "mission profile" for how you want to use it is always a good step in creating the decision criteria.

Please let us know how your Xtrons install goes. You may find that getting things like a radio removal tool set may save you some time.
The following 2 users liked this post by pa28pilot:
rbm (03-08-2021), Sergey84 (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 08:22 PM

W140, CLS55, SL65
I just received an XTRONS and did a quick unboxing video.

There are several wiring harnesses included with the head unit. I'll have to figure out how to put it all together...

Old 03-14-2021, 01:27 AM

W140, CLS55, SL65
Today I did a quick video describing wiring harnesses that were included with my XTRONS head unit.

Currently I don't understand the following:

1) Which wiring harnesses I should use and which are not applicable for my case?
2) How to connet MOST adapter?

Please share your thoughts. I'd appreciate it if you could help me with this puzzle.

LGHT (05-26-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 03:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
w211 e350 4MATIC
Hey guys , i need a quick answer, i don't know anything about the wiring, i'm trying to hook up a backup camera, i guess i wasnt able to connect right cables together. Would you please tell me the color of the negative and positive reverse lights wires are?

AMGmoffy (02-17-2024)
Old 03-15-2021, 04:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 1996 SL500, 2004 E400 4Matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Sergey84
Today I did a quick video describing wiring harnesses that were included with my XTRONS head unit.

Currently I don't understand the following:

1) Which wiring harnesses I should use and which are not applicable for my case?
2) How to connet MOST adapter?

Please share your thoughts. I'd appreciate it if you could help me with this puzzle.

https://youtu.be/iH-aecYMFOA
Hello. I installed an older XTRONS head unit (PB78M211P) into my 2003 W211 two years ago. My factory head unit had the same connection as yours. I didn't use either of the two main/power harnesses that came with the XTRONS unit. I purchased an additional XTRONS harness adapter which made the installation easier:
Amazon Amazon

I wish I took video of my work back then because I might have to do this again soon on another W211. I listed the installation steps I took. XTRONS sent me a page with connection photos

1. Detach the fiber optic connector from the car's wiring harness that plugs into the factory head unit.
2. Attach that fiber optic connector to the XTRONS fiber optic decoder
3. Connect the car's wiring harness (minus the fiber optic connector) into the XTRONS harness adapter's black connector
4. Remove CD changer (if you have one) because it won't work with the XTRONS head unit. You will then need a fiber optic loop connector. One of these:
Amazon Amazon
5. Plug the loop connector into the fiber optic connector you detached from the CD changer
6. Plug the white connector from the XTRONS harness adapter into the CANBus adapter box
7. Plug the CANBus connector for the two green wires from the XTRONS harness adapter into one of the car's CANBus sockets. In my case I couldn't figure out how to open the CANBus strip under the glove box and so I ended up cutting the connector from the green wires and tapping into existing CANBus wires going into the strip.
8. Connect the XTRONS harness adapter's long red wire AND the fiber optic decoder's yellow wire into a power source. I tapped into the cigarette lighter's switched power wire to avoid parasitic drain issues.
9. Connect the XTRONS fiber optic decoder black GND wire to the wiring harness adapter's black wire

Other optional things I did for a more "stock-looking" installation:
1. I did not use the radio antenna that came with the XTRONS head unit. I disconnected the Fakra antenna connector from the amplifier (in trunk of W211) and used a Fakra extension to run it to the XTRONS head unit radio antenna input.
2. I didn't use the GPS antenna that comes with the XTRONS head unit. My factory Audio 50 head unit had no NAV but I added a splitter to the cable that comes from the "multifunction" antenna in the top shark fin (AFAIK this is the same thing MB does to send GPS signal to stock NAV unit). Then I ran a FAKRA extension from the splitter to the XTRONS head unit GPS input.
3. I didn't use the XTRONS external microphone. I found that in my case, the built in mic in the XTRONS head unit worked very well with little to no noise pickup.
4. Installed a USB port and Aux port (might not apply to your car): https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post8030878
5. Ran long USB extension cables from the two other XTRONS USB inputs into the center console compartment.

Issues:
1. In my W211, the motorized door in the dash that hid the CD changer no longer goes up or down. There is a company that sells a harness and CANBus adapter that appears to allow it to open (see the video on this page): https://enfigcarstereo.com/radios-in...matic-AMG.html. I didn't purchase it because I didn't want to worry about figuring out how to connect it with the XTRONS harness and for now I can live with the door not working.
2. My rear speakers rattle when a song's bass level or volume is high. This only happens with Spotify or bluetooth. Radio audio sounds just fine. I'm not sure what is causing this. Otherwise, the sound is very good. I don't normally listen to bass-heavy music so I just live with it. There is another MOST decoder that has 4 RCA speaker inputs instead of 2. It might do a better conversion job.
3. No satellite radio capability but this wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Things I would personally do differently next time:
1. Purchase an XTRONS head unit without the CD/DVD player. I never use it and don't expect to ever need one. This also frees up more room for all the new wiring.
2. Purchase the enfig car stereo harness+CANBus adapter and then connect it to the XTRONS harness adapter so the CD changer compartment door works and I can use the extra storage behind it.
3. Purchase the MOST fiber optic decoder with four RCA speaker inputs so I can fade music front/back in addition to left/right balance. This might also fix the speaker rattling issue when bass level is high.
4. Install an Apple CarPlay/Android Auto dongle behind the dash. Currently I have this plugged into one of the USB extension cables in the center console compartment.

Even with the issues I noted, overall I'm really happy with the XTRONS unit.

Hope this helps,
RC

Last edited by rbc3az; 03-17-2021 at 08:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rbc3az:
baris41 (03-15-2021), LGHT (05-26-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 06:22 PM

w211 e350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by rbc3az

1. I did not use the radio antenna that came with the XTRONS head unit. I disconnected the Fakra antenna connector from the amplifier (in trunk of W211) and used a Fakra extension to run it to the XTRONS head unit radio antenna input.
4. Install an Apple CarPlay/Android Auto dongle behind the dash. Currently I have this plugged into one of the USB extension cables in the center console compartment.

RC
Great info. I will have couple of questions,

1. Is this the fakra connector you talking about? If it is, it's connected to main harness, how did you disconnect it?
2. I'm using an Android phone, i couldnt find a wireless Android Auto option. Is there any?
3. I can use hands free, but it does not play music even if i allow 'share audio' option. Any ideas?
4. Did you install a backup camera?

Old 03-16-2021, 03:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 1996 SL500, 2004 E400 4Matic Wagon
Originally Posted by baris41
Great info. I will have couple of questions,

1. Is this the fakra connector you talking about? If it is, it's connected to main harness, how did you disconnect it?
2. I'm using an Android phone, i couldnt find a wireless Android Auto option. Is there any?
3. I can use hands free, but it does not play music even if i allow 'share audio' option. Any ideas?
4. Did you install a backup camera?
1. Did you mean to post a photo of the connection? The Fakra connection I was referring to was tor the radio antenna and was plugged into the amp in the trunk. It looks like the left end of this (but a different color):
Amazon Amazon

2. I haven't found a wireless Android Auto dongle. The one I have supports wireless Apple CarPlay but only wired Android Auto
3. I'm not sure what you're referring to with this question. Are you saying that you can make/receive calls through your aftermarket head unit but you music doesn't play through it?
4. Actually I'm installing a 360 degree bird's eye view camera system but I only have the backup and front cameras installed. I don't have the side cameras installed yet.

Last edited by rbc3az; 03-16-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:52 PM

w211 e350 4MATIC
1. Did you mean to post a photo of the connection? The Fakra connection I was referring to was tor the radio antenna and was plugged into the amp in the trunk. It looks like the left end of this (but a different color):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. I haven't found a wireless Android Auto dongle. The one I have supports wireless Apple CarPlay but only wired Android Auto
3. I'm not sure what you're referring to with this question. Are you saying that you can make/receive calls through your aftermarket head unit but you music doesn't play through it?
4. Actually I'm installing a 360 degree bird's eye view camera system but I only have the backup and front cameras installed. I don't have the side cameras installed yet.

I forgot to attach picture of the Fakra cable i meant, sorry, (see bottom of the screen)

3. Yes sir exactly what i meant, sorry for my poor explanation. They want me to hook number 2 connector, but i couldn't find somewhere to connect it. (see bottom of the screen)

4. Would you check these 3 videos, i believe i made the right connections, still got nothing, when i try to back up.

Last edited by baris41; 03-17-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:41 AM

W140, CLS55, SL65
Hello. I installed an older XTRONS head unit (PB78M211P) into my 2003 W211 two years ago.
4. Remove CD changer (if you have one) because it won't work with the XTRONS head unit. You will then need a fiber optic loop connector. One of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5. Plug the loop connector into the fiber optic connector you detached from the CD changer
8. Connect the XTRONS harness adapter's long red wire AND the fiber optic decoder's yellow wire into a power source. I tapped into the cigarette lighter's switched power wire to avoid parasitic drain issues.

Other optional things I did for a more "stock-looking" installation:
2. I didn't use the GPS antenna that comes with the XTRONS head unit. My factory Audio 50 head unit had no NAV but I added a splitter to the cable that comes from the "multifunction" antenna in the top shark fin (AFAIK this is the same thing MB does to send GPS signal to stock NAV unit). Then I ran a FAKRA extension from the splitter to the XTRONS head unit GPS input.
Thank you man!!!

I have few quick questions:

1) I have a CD changer. Will it be OK if I don't unplug it? And instead using a loop connector I just keep my CD-changer fiber-optics connector in place?
2) Cigarette lighter switched power wire is it wthite/red wire like on the picture, right? There is also solid brown and white/blue wire.
3) Do you have buttons illumination in your XTRONS unit? I see they tap to another wire on the cigarette lighter to obtain illumination. Is it white/blue wire?
4) Do you think using stock radio antenna is much better than using XTRONS? I guess E-Class and CLS may have more than 1 stock antenna.
5) I have GPS in my car. I guess I may have to run similar GPS wire from XTRONS to the amp or wherever it should go. Do you think this is what I need in my case?
Amazon Amazon

Thank you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The Complete w211/w219 Android Head Unit Research Thread