CLS Coupe (C257) Discuss the CLS Coupe

CLS 53 Build Opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 12:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Porsche CS DE1
CLS 53 Build Opinions

Here is the build that I am likely going to order. I wanted to get some opinions on this to see if anyone had any recommendations for anything that I must have that I missed, and or anything that I added that I likely won't need or isn't worth the price of the option. Also, not shown in the picture, I selected metal weave inlays. Has anyone seen these in person? The picture isn't the greatest and it makes it difficult to really tell what they will look like. Thank you.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
cls
That's a beautiful car!! You are bolder than I on the interior. I was tempted by the Bengal Red, but chickened out and went for the more conservative black. Now that I've seen the bengal red more - I think i might regret not being as bold as you.

Couple of thoughts -

are you still in Ohio? If so, i'm surprised not to see heated steering wheel (only $250). that has been (hands-down) my favorite option on my last two BMW's . I can't imagine not having it in colder temps (yup - i'm a baby that way).

also - i love the look of the faux suede headline (Dynamica?) but it's a steeply priced option - always has been, which is surprising to me given the little cost difference in materials - it's not like it's kevlar or titanium infused! In fact, recently, I had to have a new headliner put in my pickup truck, and the difference in cost between a traditional cloth and the faux suede was $25 - yes, you read that right - twenty-five dollars. Ever since then, i've just seen the German priced faux suede as an opportunity for HUGE markup. Nonetheless - it looks great.

I'm jealous of the heads up display - i went ahead and ordered mine without one because of the delay in availability and my BMW lease being up. I will miss not having one. Just a heads up - you need to have un-polarized sunglasses if you want to see it. I found that out the hard way with my 650 gran coupe HUD and had to track down some sunglasses without polarization (which proved harder than I thought when also considering i wanted them to look nice).

The soft-close doors are really nice. Mine arrived at dealership yesterday, and I got to check it out on showroom floor - the doors function really well. they are very quiet and subtle in operation - much more so than the ones on my bmw. i think the soft close doors are particularly worth the cost given the fact that these doors are frameless and the glass mechanism can be stressed by the need to use more force with the frameless design in closing (does that make any sense? - sorry for the run-on-sentence - i'm being a bit stream-of-conscious here).

on the metal weave - it surprises me that they pair that with black lacquer on the center console. the advantage of the metal weave (in addition to looking cool) is that its scratch resistant. the center console is exactly where you want scratch resistance - so why not metal weave there too? i went with the high-gloss burl wood, but am concerned about it getting scratched up over time.

Finally - on the AMG exhaust - have you heard the difference between the two available systems? It may be a big difference in sound quality, but I would want to know for sure before shelling out the money for that.

Oh - and finally- finally - the car felt much bigger in person that in the pictures. I was surprised by that. like - standing next to the rear doors - it seemed like a really big car. not a complaint - it just seems smaller in the pictures and literature.

here's mine at the dealership last night. They are sending it out to tint-shop today for some sick-dark windows! I think it's going to look like the Bat-mobile when it's done.

The following users liked this post:
Germancar1 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 11:46 AM

Porsche CS DE1
Originally Posted by tracy thorne
That's a beautiful car!! You are bolder than I on the interior. I was tempted by the Bengal Red, but chickened out and went for the more conservative black. Now that I've seen the bengal red more - I think i might regret not being as bold as you.

Couple of thoughts -

are you still in Ohio? If so, i'm surprised not to see heated steering wheel (only $250). that has been (hands-down) my favorite option on my last two BMW's . I can't imagine not having it in colder temps (yup - i'm a baby that way).

also - i love the look of the faux suede headline (Dynamica?) but it's a steeply priced option - always has been, which is surprising to me given the little cost difference in materials - it's not like it's kevlar or titanium infused! In fact, recently, I had to have a new headliner put in my pickup truck, and the difference in cost between a traditional cloth and the faux suede was $25 - yes, you read that right - twenty-five dollars. Ever since then, i've just seen the German priced faux suede as an opportunity for HUGE markup. Nonetheless - it looks great.

I'm jealous of the heads up display - i went ahead and ordered mine without one because of the delay in availability and my BMW lease being up. I will miss not having one. Just a heads up - you need to have un-polarized sunglasses if you want to see it. I found that out the hard way with my 650 gran coupe HUD and had to track down some sunglasses without polarization (which proved harder than I thought when also considering i wanted them to look nice).

The soft-close doors are really nice. Mine arrived at dealership yesterday, and I got to check it out on showroom floor - the doors function really well. they are very quiet and subtle in operation - much more so than the ones on my bmw. i think the soft close doors are particularly worth the cost given the fact that these doors are frameless and the glass mechanism can be stressed by the need to use more force with the frameless design in closing (does that make any sense? - sorry for the run-on-sentence - i'm being a bit stream-of-conscious here).

on the metal weave - it surprises me that they pair that with black lacquer on the center console. the advantage of the metal weave (in addition to looking cool) is that its scratch resistant. the center console is exactly where you want scratch resistance - so why not metal weave there too? i went with the high-gloss burl wood, but am concerned about it getting scratched up over time.

Finally - on the AMG exhaust - have you heard the difference between the two available systems? It may be a big difference in sound quality, but I would want to know for sure before shelling out the money for that.

Oh - and finally- finally - the car felt much bigger in person that in the pictures. I was surprised by that. like - standing next to the rear doors - it seemed like a really big car. not a complaint - it just seems smaller in the pictures and literature.

here's mine at the dealership last night. They are sending it out to tint-shop today for some sick-dark windows! I think it's going to look like the Bat-mobile when it's done.

Wow! Your car looks amazing. What a great color to really set off those wheels. You made some great choices with your build. Did you buy or lease? I’m interested to know how that went if you don’t mind sharing.

Alright as for the build. Great feedback by the way!

I was apprehensive about all red leather at first too but after seeing it in a Maserati Quatroporte I was going to buy, I became hooked. I think it will really match well with the grey. We will see.

I’m with you on the headliner, I feel like it is very overpriced as well. However, this is one of those must select options in order to get the bengal ref interior. I would be fine with a standard black headliner but it makes you add the headliner when you select that option.

I live in California now which is why I didn’t select the heated steering wheel. You’re making me consider getting it anyway now. My 535i I had came with the heated steering wheel as well and I did really like it. You might be right.

I debated on the HUD for a while, maybe even still am. Do you feel like it was worth it in your 650?

I know exactly what you were saying about the soft close doors. I actually didn’t think about it that way, so you gave me a reason for them to be a must have. Thanks!

I actually drove an edition 1 a few weeks ago that had the performance exhaust and it sounded amazing. When the baffles were closed it was okay, but it was noticeably more aggressive sounding with them open. You’ll have to tell me how yours sounds.

When do you actually get to pick up the batmobile? I’m really excited for you. Enjoy it in good health. It’s beautiful!
Old 11-28-2018, 02:48 PM

cls
I think you can get the Nappa leather without the Dinamica headliner. I know the configuartor makes you purchase both, but the DOG shows otherwise. moreover, I know I got the Nappa without the upgraded headliner. Of course, maybe MB changed the ordering a bit after i placed my order and now requires it. My order went in September, so who knows.

i do love the HUD in my bmw and really used it a lot. the sunglass thing was a chaff but - hey - first world problems - right?

i pickup on Friday assuming the tint process went well today.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:41 PM

cls

Got tint today. Pickup from dealer on Friday!
The following users liked this post:
Germancar1 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:33 PM

Porsche CS DE1
Originally Posted by tracy thorne

Got tint today. Pickup from dealer on Friday!

Looks menacing now! Did you do ceramic tint? I love it.

I hope you’re right about the headliner. I’m going to look into that.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:18 PM

cls
Originally Posted by BOCKTAGON

I actually drove an edition 1 a few weeks ago that had the performance exhaust and it sounded amazing. When the baffles were closed it was okay, but it was noticeably more aggressive sounding with them open. You’ll have to tell me how yours sounds.

you definitely want to get the AMG exhaust - picked mine up today, and the exhaust is pretty tame at first take. The car has a break in period posted on the windscreen suggesting limiting it to 4500 rpm and no full throttle for first 1500 miles, so i haven't really punched it. we'll see after that.

regardless, even at idle - it has no rumble like my 650 did. either way - i'm loving it. it's a super sweet car.