Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Carbon Fiber Diffuser -Installed - DIY Instructions inside

Hello All,

Got around to installing the CF diffuser today. Fairly easy install, and came out great. I mounted so that if you ever need to take it off, you can just replace the filler panel and you will never know it was on there before:

What You Need:
Materials
6 x #12 x 3/4" Sheet Metal Screws with bolt head
2 x #10 x 1" Sheet Metal Screws with button head
2 x 2"x 12mm x 2mm Metal brackets
3 Rolls 3M Mounting Tape

Tools
Drill and Bits
Screw Driver
Masking tape to mark out drill holes

Installation Steps

The first thing you need to do is mark out 3 drill holes with masking tape. The holes should be drilled into the valance directly behind where the diffuser fins will be. You need to drill about 3/4 of the way down the filler panel to have enough room to screw in from behind and not hit the metal bumper behind.

Drilling through the bumper of your baby-- Scary Stuff!

Next, screw one bolt in from behind to hold in place so you can drill and screw in the ends. For the ends you need to drill from underneath just under the exhaust from the inside. Have somebody help you to hold it in place or tape/clamp it securely.

Next you need tp make some brackets to secure the lower most part of the diffuser to the valence. I used the 2" small metal rectangular brackets I found at home depot. I bent them to the correct angle on a bench vice, then drilled and screwed them to the underside.

Now undo all the hardware, and apply the 3M mounting tape to the back of the Diffuser panel. I used about 3 rolls, which covered about 70 of the back of the diffuser. I worked it into all the crevices I could with a blunted pencil. The top and side peices are the most important as the main body in the middle will have 6 screws securing it which is plenty. Sorry, forgot to take a pic of this.

When all applied, peel the backing and align it on the center. You need to get this right the first time in order to not have to pull the tape and start again. When it's all lined up press it up against the valence. Apply some good presure on the center so it holds, then get underneath and put the 3 screws in. When those are fastened, press the sides up and make sure the tape grabs, and screw both sides in sequence. You can add a clamp to help the tape grab. When all done it should look something like this:

Overall fit is pretty good, but not perfect. I might use a little black silicone sealer along the ends once the weather gets warmer to make the fit flush up nicely. I think it looks great, and once I get the Brabus 3 Peice spoiler on there the rear end look will be complete. And now on to the eye candy...

Old 05-08-2010, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Great write up and looks awesome....wish my CLS wasn't totaled
Old 05-08-2010, 11:39 PM

Looks great! Just need to get exhaust tips out a little bit to finish it off. Great write up
Old 05-09-2010, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Looks great Peter. I have to see that in person. Great write up
Old 05-09-2010, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
thanks for the write up going to order mine this week looks awesome
Old 05-09-2010, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
you really did the best possible with that thing. Hat off for all your info and effort

from my point of view and following the old originary thread about this diffuser story, this can be seen only as a further step ..

should you feel able also at modelling and the supplier be willing to send you a pair of un-wrapped polyurethane diffusers, you would be able to get to the final shape our bumper requires.
per my taste, I would cut a lot of material:
- first thing it should end up smoothly, at the same level with the bumper contour.
- no side "moustaches" but just end similarly as the original diff
- much less thick material on bottom
these 2 last points would also avoid the issue of exhaust tips needing to be prolongued (which is not possible).

thanks you again for your hard work
Old 05-09-2010, 07:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 & 2011 G55
Looks great. thanks for the DIY info.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:22 AM

mercedes 2011 CLS550 with AMG package
looks very nice and clean. great job and thanks for sharing
Old 05-09-2010, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Looks very good man and quick question where do I get the black silicon sealer that you mentioned above ? Do they have like a "clear" one ?

Thanks,

Andy
Old 05-09-2010, 03:26 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
Looks very good man and quick question where do I get the black silicon sealer that you mentioned above ? Do they have like a "clear" one ?

Thanks,

Andy
Home Depot... Lowes... Pep Boys... Autozone... Napa...

Yes, you can get it in clear as well, but I think black would blend in better. The clear may end looking more like glue...
Old 05-09-2010, 06:17 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by dyno
you really did the best possible with that thing. Hat off for all your info and effort

from my point of view and following the old originary thread about this diffuser story, this can be seen only as a further step ..

should you feel able also at modelling and the supplier be willing to send you a pair of un-wrapped polyurethane diffusers, you would be able to get to the final shape our bumper requires.
per my taste, I would cut a lot of material:
- first thing it should end up smoothly, at the same level with the bumper contour.
- no side "moustaches" but just end similarly as the original diff
- much less thick material on bottom
these 2 last points would also avoid the issue of exhaust tips needing to be prolongued (which is not possible).

thanks you again for your hard work
Wow. Impressive resourcefulness and photodocumentation. Thank you, once again, for lighting the way for the rest of us! As with all pioneering efforts, there is an element of experimentation involved when exploring the unknown, and, with this in mind, I have to agree with dyno.

You did, indeed, make the most out of this diffuser, and although in some things (like granite countertops - first thing that came to mind, sorry) installation contributes 70% to the final outcome, I feel that you were ultimately let down by the material handed to you.

I second dyno's analysis of the diffuser's aesthetic weaknesses.
(I guess for the price point, though, one can't expect the best quality.)

Curious about the point made re: extending the exhaust tips. I've read mention of this elsewhere in the forum, but haven't seen anything definitive. Is it possible (other than by the obvious: cutting into the exhaust system and adding extra material forward of the tips)?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by clstl
Wow. Impressive resourcefulness and photodocumentation. Thank you, once again, for lighting the way for the rest of us! As with all pioneering efforts, there is an element of experimentation involved when exploring the unknown, and, with this in mind, I have to agree with dyno.

You did, indeed, make the most out of this diffuser, and although in some things (like granite countertops - first thing that came to mind, sorry) installation contributes 70% to the final outcome, I feel that you were ultimately let down by the material handed to you.

I second dyno's analysis of the diffuser's aesthetic weaknesses.
(I guess for the price point, though, one can't expect the best quality.)

Curious about the point made re: extending the exhaust tips. I've read mention of this elsewhere in the forum, but haven't seen anything definitive. Is it possible (other than by the obvious: cutting into the exhaust system and adding extra material forward of the tips)?

Thanks for the comments all.

I think that having a choice I would changes some design elements as well. The design is good, but could be better. The main thing I would change is the center section. I would make it flow under the car closer to the stock valence. The fitment could be fixed with better trim of the part out of the mold. The exhaust should be able to be modified by heating and bending the the hangers a bit. I am having some exhaust work done soon so I will have a look once it's up on the hoist.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 AM

CLS55
sweet!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cmergonoto
where did you buy the diffuser from?
Is on ebay.

Very nice write It looks good on black...don't know how it will look on white since both ends of the diffuser does not contour nicely with line of the bumper, it sticks too far off on the original diffuser line. Black doesn't show as much but with lighter car I think it will show a lot of imperfection. Need to see it on a lighter car to decide.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Diffuser -Installed - DIY Instructions inside-picture-6.gif  

Last edited by apdesign; 05-10-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
do you have the link on ebay?
don't bid too high. i think the seller will go lower.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...Q5fCarQ5fParts

and here's the other link with other diffusers.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=mer...difuser&_rdc=1

Last edited by apdesign; 05-11-2010 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
CLS Carbon Fiber Diffuser

Good write up
Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 PM

cls500
nice!!
good post
Old 05-13-2010, 04:57 AM

2010 C63
Nice ... I like it
Old 05-14-2010, 12:42 AM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
Looks pretty cool! With the extended exhaust tips and the 3-pce spoiler that should help complete the look so that the diffusor doesn't look so lonely out there.

Can't wait to see the next pics.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
nice write up and looks good
Old 05-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
why does it totally block in the inside exhaust tips?
Old 06-25-2010, 04:39 PM

2010 C63
do you have the link on ebay?
W219 AMG CLS55 Carbon Fiber Front lip+Rear Diffuser

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT
Old 06-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Nice write up!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:43 PM
TZL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55 AMG, CLS55 AMG, Nissan GT-R, BMW X5 35D, Ferrari 458 Italia
Top bring back an old thread, I bought the same diffuser off ebay ($300, $230 + $70 shipping)

Fittament is ok, about 5-10mm off on each side

I did the same install method, only instead of screw, I used rivets, a little better for holding tension, no chance of stripping

I put 6 aluminum rivets into the black trim panel from the backside and two on each side

Also alot of double sided tape !
Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 PM

2009 cls550 AMG Sport
DOES ANYBODY MAKE A SIMILAR ADD-ON DIFFUSER NON CARBON FIBER THAT CAN BE PAINTED FLAT BLACK? IM SURE IT WOULD BE ALOT CHEAPER.