Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Did I get the right products?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C350 Sport
Question Did I get the right products?

I just got the '08 C350 Sport black on black last week and to show love for my baby, I purchased some detailing stuff from amazon. Since I'm a BIG NOOB, I hope I ordered the right stuff. If you experienced members could guide me, I would be greatly appreciative.

My persona: I'm willing to put forth time into detailing my car for an hour or two, once a month to cost-effectively achieve the maximum potential results (gloss and protection are my priorities). Of course, in the beginning, I'd like to spend several hours giving it the best care but after, I'd like to routinely follow-up monthly with a simple wash to maintain cleanliness. I'm thinking of waxing every 6 months? I did quite a bit reading but I have no clue on physically getting down and dirty.

What I ordered:

Meguiar's Complete Car Care Kit

Meguiar's X2020 Supreme Shine Microfiber - Pack of 3

Meguiar's X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt

Absorber 51149 The Absorber Chamois 27" x 17"

Detailer's Choice 12-Piece Microfiber Cleaning Kit

Grit Guard Insert

Tire/Wheel Brush Kit

I'm going to go to Home Depot and get two 5-gallon buckets (one for rinse, one for suds). I know I ordered duplicates of washer mitt and microfibers but I don't think it would hurt to have extras on hand. Other than that, am I missing anything?
Old 06-28-2008, 01:48 AM

2003 E500 sport
well i think your on the right track but the wax in that kit will not last any where near 6 month's. i have use most of the over couter auto parts store wax's like the nxt megs and mothers and none of them last at all for me.
the longest lasting sealant that i have found is zaino followed by blackfire.
there is also the adams line but i have yet to use any of there stuff.
i use blackfire which is a lot easyer to use than zaino and has about the same shine but since your car is black like my benz i think you will be happy with the blackfire. even if it rain on my car or i get stuck in a rain storm as soon as i start rolling the car dry's it self and looks clean.my camaro sat in 2 days of rain and i never drove it and it look spotless from a few feet lol.
ill pm you. oh and you get what you pay for.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:40 AM

Scion tC
Your product selection looks complete. The only advice I'd give you is to try different products next time.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Almost a Member!

C220d Estate Avantgarde, Obsidium black, command, factory tint. MB CLK240 Iolith Blue / Pebble-Gone
Originally Posted by SpecC
Your product selection looks complete. The only advice I'd give you is to try different products next time.
I just got a obsidium. what are your suggestions??
I am tossing up between nano and zaino.

cheers
Maxy
Old 06-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 STI
here is a good newbie video to watch.

take a look and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:53 AM

CLK430 e55
The only suggestion I can give is to think what is the most important aspect of maintaining a black glossy surface? Haze. So what do you do, to prevent haze? Haze are scratches that diffuse, deflect reflections which can make a surface look dull.

So with that being said, you will want to protect the clearcoat surface as much as you can. Here is a few pointers.

Clean off dead bugs on the car daily!
Clean off bird crap daily!
Clean off tree sap daily!

By doing this you will ensure the health of the paint surface. Now having some wax on your clearcoat will help removing these contaminants easier. Wax is a very old method that is still being coveted by enthusiasts who are more about tradition then performance. I'm not going to be spewing about which products to get or works best, because I don't want to affect any companies. If you think they are great, then that is all that matters; your own satisfaction. A good paint protectant should last up to a 4-6 months, waxes should be good for up to 1-2 months depending on environment.