Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

a Paint question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
a Paint question

Once you get a car repainted, how long do you have to wait for the paint to cure so that you can wash/wax it?
Old 02-11-2002, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 CLK 430 Coupe
Read the thread: Waxing/Polymer coating new car? Opinions vary.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
I would wait at least 30 days before waxing a car that has been repainted. A lot of body shops don't heat cure the paint and even if they do the temp. has to be limited because the panels are usually on the car and surrounding trim is susceptible to heat damage.

I read the other forum and agree that a new car from MB is ready to be waxed on delivery - catalytic paint, one month of shipping etc.

Who knows what the local body shop really uses anyway. Can't hurt to wait.
Old 02-16-2002, 02:08 AM
AWE
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two of our seven down-draft vacuum spray booths with infra-red curing in our 50,000 sq-ft collision restoration facility:

One of three computerized paint matching system in the same facility (PPG/Sikkens/Glasurit paint bases):

How do you tell if your car is ready for wax?

Check #1:
Fresh paint causes water to bead. If this "beading" is gone, then it is ready for waxing. This typically takes about 8-10 weeks or more.

Check #2:
With the edge of your finger nail, press against a hidden area where the new paint exists. If your nail leaves a mark, then it is not ready for wax.

Wash fresh paint with only water, no soap until it is waxed.