Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Bad detailers -- how to tell?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad detailers -- how to tell?

I dropped by a local Napa auto parts store yesterday, looking for a clay bar. When I didn't see one, I asked the fellow at the counter. He got excited and began telling me all about clay bars and how great they are (though they don't carry them). He explained that he was a detailer and he gave me his card. I told him I wanted a real pro and he assured me he was the real deal, just check out his website.

In the meantime, as we stood there looking at the wax products, he touted his detailing knowledge by pointing to the bug/tar remover and said "see, that's a waste of money. I just use acetone." "Kinda harsh, isn't it?" I asked. He just looked puzzled. Then he picked up a 3M scrub pad they had on sale and said "these are great too." This was that kind of sponge with an abrasive plastic cover that I use to clean burned pots and pans.

After I got home I checked out his site. Mobile detailing, cheap ($40-75).

Anyway, is there some clever question or some "tell" (to use a gambling term) that will immediately reveal whether someone is a complete amateur likely to wreck my finish vs. a seasoned Al Boston-type professional? Maybe if they use Turtle Wax or are too cheap or work mobile or something like that? I mean, everyone claims to be a high-end detailer, but I don't want to ruin my car finding out they aren't. And I can't tell much simply by looking at their work, since I'm sure even Brillo-boy from the Napa store could have shown me a nice polish job that would have fooled me.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
If you do a quick search of this forum, I have posted a lexus GS400 that I detailed. The dealer had detailed his car and did a very poor job (left buffer burns all over the car). I removed these burns and completely redetailed the car and getting rid of the parts the lexus dealer screwed up.

Edit: I did a quick search and found the thread.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=Lexus+GS400
Old 07-07-2003, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLK 430
Im a detailer from NY. A way you can tell the difference between a decent detailer and a great deatiler is ask him/her what the 3 steps of detailing is. If he/she doesnt say 1) cleaning the paint 2) polising 3) protecting they are not doing all the steps. A great detailer will do also those steps to ensure that your vehicle comes out great. There are more things such as testing his knowledge on subjects such as oxidation, effects chemicals have on cars, difference between silicone and water based dressings, carnuba and polymer waxes. If theres any info you would like to know please email me for further information.
Brian
Old 07-14-2003, 02:38 PM

E 420
Question compound

I washed my car at a 100% hand Care wash. The owner told me that in order to clean the paint finish they had to compound it first then polish it. I didn't do it because compound sounds kind of rough. Please let me know if this is a correct method to use. Most likely i will probably detail the car my self.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:14 PM

Mercedes CLK 430
Sometimes the 100% car washes arent the greatest. Sometimes they can have dirt that doesnt get rinsed off. Compounding a car is necessary if there is heavy oxidation or really clean the paint. If you have a new car you can get away with only claying the car. The polish is where you are getting rid of surface scratches and swirl marks. Where are you located?
Old 07-14-2003, 06:51 PM

E 420
i am in new york city, manhattan
Old 07-14-2003, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Re: compound

Originally posted by triniblack
I washed my car at a 100% hand Care wash. The owner told me that in order to clean the paint finish they had to compound it first then polish it. I didn't do it because compound sounds kind of rough. Please let me know if this is a correct method to use. Most likely i will probably detail the car my self.
Compound will remove paint! Use compound only for oxidation or scratches. For general paint cleaning after a good washing, use clay bar.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:55 PM

E 420
thank you