Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Help! Paint chips and scratches question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 03:57 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
Help! Paint chips and scratches question

I just bought my CLK320 (black on black) 6 weeks ago and finally washed my car. While wiping it, I noticed a couple of paint chips close to the passenger door and an concentric scratch on the hood (close to the window, right by the vents). Also, there are 2 deep scratches on my rear passenger rim (Apperence Package ones) at the intersection of two spokes. Called the dealer about the chips and he told me to bring it in and he'll get the detailers to look into it.

Can they fix up the chips? And the concentric scratch? Also, is there anything I can do about the rim? Can a rock really do that to the rims? It looks more like scratches from mounting at MB or dealership than a rock "damage". Same thing with the concentric scratch...looks more like someone did it while cleaning it at the dealership.

Any advise would really be appreciated! Next time, I'll just pay someone else to clean it. I don't want to know about any "scars"
Old 07-13-2003, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
get a clear bra. can't see it and you will not have rock chips.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:42 PM

Yeah get a clear bra. You can try here . This is probably the best my money you can spend on your car.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:42 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK320
Thanks for the advise but....

...the clear bra would not cover up to the the area under the passenger door. Also, is the touch up kit any good? Do I get it from the dealership?

Lastly, what about the scratches on the rim? Any way to fix that?
Old 07-13-2003, 06:06 PM

the clear bra would not cover up to the the area under the passenger door
It might not make the mark go away there, but you can always buy some bulk material and help prevent that area from getting anymore damage
Old 07-14-2003, 06:52 AM

C230Kompressor
Re: Thanks for the advise but....

Originally posted by DCCLK
...the clear bra would not cover up to the the area under the passenger door. Also, is the touch up kit any good? Do I get it from the dealership?

Lastly, what about the scratches on the rim? Any way to fix that?
The MB Touch up kit is like any other 2 part kit, it's ok, but it's not going to look 'factory'. And yes, you can get it at the dealer (mine was about $24).
This weekend, I tried Langka for the first time. Wonderful product! But there is a learning curve. The difference between the chip completely disappearing and only a satisfactory job with Langka is literally one swipe of the cloth. I've got some chips that I can't find anymore, some that I dug too deep in. I can tell you that I will never use touch-up paint again without a bottle of Langka ready to go!

As far as the rims, depends. Are they painted? Chromed? Polished?
HTH
Old 07-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK320
As far as the rims, depends. Are they painted? Chromed? Polished?
Thanks for the reply! The rims are stock, from the Appearence package. They are chromed but not polished.

Is there a way to get it out? Also can a detailer get rid of a light (not too deep) scratch on the hood?

Lastly, should I trust the dealer's detailer or should I go find a good one?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but I never have this problem with a new car before. Also, I hardly ever wash my previous cars with such care before Babying it cause me to look closely at everything and that's how I spotted all these "flaws"

Thanks!