Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Care of Interior Surfaces

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 320
Care of Interior Surfaces

On a recent trip to my dealer, I spoke with my tech about the care and preservation of the different interior surfaces. He told me not to use Armor All because, in his experience, it causes a lot of squeaking, creaking and other unwanted sounds. Does anyone have any experience, either good or bad, with interior products. I do NOT want to cause any unwanted sounds, but I also want to keep things preserved. I guess part of the problem is the number of different materials, wood, leather, plastic, vinyl, etc. I am sure I'll wind up using a number of different products, but at this point I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 CLK 430 Coupe
Products I use for interior surfaces:

Leather - Griot's Garage Leather Care.
Vinyl/Plastic - Meguiar's Rubber & Vinyl Cleaner Conditioner.
Wood - Malm's Carnauba Wax
Headliner/carpet- Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner.

None of the products listed leave a greasy feeling shine as will Armor All and leave the surface clean and protected with the original finish unaltered. Use all products sparingly and buff off all excess.

The Interior Cleaner for carpet and headliner is great for spot removal or cleaning your floor mats. It will not leave a ring, is odorless and will remove grease if your dirty fingered mechanic happens to touch something he's not supposed to. Just soak a corner of of a clean rag and blot the soiled spot.

For protection of the wood, I just use the same wax that I use on the paint - again sparingly.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
A Honda dealer told me the same thing about the Armor-All causing squeeks.

I vacuum the dust off then wipe it down with window cleaner.

I think the days of cracked dashboards and steering wheels are over. At least on new higher-end cars with quality plastics. I don't belive that plastic in todays cars needs to be "preserved". If anyone as any supporting/unsupporting info on this I'd love to hear it!
Old 03-20-2002, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Get some 303 aerospace protectant. You can find this at your boating supply stores. It leaves a matte finish and provides excellent UV protection. This product is high praised by many people.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:53 AM

I use the MB Leather Seat Care that you can pick up at the dealer that is made by Meguiars for Mercedes and the Klasse vinyl, leather, rubber & plastic cleaner protectant.